To paint or not to paint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To paint or not to paint

My friend and I have been going back and forth as to weather or not to paint this speaker grill.

I say leave it silver, he says paint it black. I've asked a few friends, and I get 50/50 responses. What do you guys think. Paint it a matte or high gloss black, or leave it silver for a little contrast.
    -Drew Taylor
    2000 Grand Am GT PC

i think you should keep it. Nice install by the way. Its very clean.

Comment

paint it black with silver metal flakes

Comment

take it off
        CarPuter ProgressO meterO
        [+++++++++] 100%, 1Ghz Epia M,opus 90w, Earthmate GPS, 7 inch lilliput molded into dash, anything i forget?
        visit me on the web at
        http://gozips.uakron.edu/~cmk23/

Comment

i especially love the mini fridge you have going back there.
          Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

Originally posted by Vchat20
            i especially love the mini fridge you have going back there.

i agree, where'd you get it, what kind is it, how much did it cost? I've never seen one that small lol

i love the way you have everything setup, very clean looking. did you take your spare tire out? aren't you scared of getting a flat? lol

oh and leave the grill like it is. What is that it looks like an L7 12"... I'm getting a kicker L7 12" how's it sound ? what kind of music do you listen to?

Comment

Paint it the same color blue as the amplifier fins
              I'mmmmmm a n00b.... feel free to make fun

Comment

What about... neons or LED flashing patterns? Maybe an LED kit that lights correspondingly with the beat? Coat it in velvet. Add steel cross bars. I'd paint it a glossy black. It'd look smooth like that. Buff it, too, to get a very nice finish. Also, the side of your trunk looks clean. The car keys are (nicely) mounted next to the beer fridge! That can be a little provocative, eh.

Comment

I would get rid of it too. You have a very clean install, and the speaker grill throws it off. It does not match anything, but spraying it black may tone it down a bit.
                  Is this where the witty comment goes?
                  97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Comment

I would leave it as it is. It's not clean, heres no focal point, and nothing you do will make it that little bit cleaner. if you paint it black, eyes will simply be drawn to the blue amp in the floor, or to all the different objects to the left, or to another part of the install.

so why make the effort and expense to paint the grill? I dont see the end result being any better than the install you have now. no worse, certainly! But I dont see it being an improvement, either.

Love the solobaric S cutout, by the way (is the post too negative?)

Comment

Question 1:where'd you get it, what kind is it, how much did it cost? I've never seen one that small lol

did you take your spare tire out? aren't you scared of getting a flat? lol

oh and leave the grill like it is. What is that it looks like an L7 12"... I'm getting a kicker L7 12" how's it sound ? what kind of music do you listen to?

Answer 1:i got it off ebay, cost like 60 bucks I think. Yes,spare tire is out. I have it wrapped in heavy plastic and throw it in the trunk when I take long trips. I have AAA so I can just call them for a flat fix. Its actually an L5, I didnt need the L7, the L7 just needs more power, and the L5 was all I needed. It sounds awesome and I listen to just about every kind of music you can think of.

Question 2: What about... neons or LED flashing patterns? Maybe an LED kit that lights correspondingly with the beat? Coat it in velvet. Add steel cross bars. I'd paint it a glossy black. It'd look smooth like that. Buff it, too, to get a very nice finish. Also, the side of your trunk looks clean. The car keys are (nicely) mounted next to the beer fridge! That can be a little provocative, eh.

Answer 2: I have 4 strobes back there, as well as neon accent lighting. Those arent car keys, thats a remote for the strobes. And I wouldnt ever put beer in that fridge, I dont touch alcohol.

Question 3: I would leave it as it is. It's not clean, heres no focal point, and nothing you do will make it that little bit cleaner. if you paint it black, eyes will simply be drawn to the blue amp in the floor, or to all the different objects to the left, or to another part of the install.

so why make the effort and expense to paint the grill? I dont see the end result being any better than the install you have now. no worse, certainly! But I dont see it being an improvement, either.

Answer 3: I dont even know what this dude is sayin. "here's no focal point"?
                      Anyone?
                      -Drew Taylor
                      2000 Grand Am GT PC

Comment

typo. "theres" no focal point. I didnt want the post to be too negative, as I like some aspects of the install, particularly the edges of the install and how they match to the frame of the car.

but seriously. theres a cluster F of stuff to look at in that trunk. a designer might be able to answer better, if you were to ask what a room is like when its too "busy".

youve got carpeted areas, large subwoofer sticking out, plexi to look through, a cutout "S" that draws the eye to the right, and off to the left you have a door of sorts surrounded by what look like key fobs and a switch. there is ALOT in that trunk!

the conclusion I came to was that it doesnt matter whether you paint the grill black or leave it silver. itll look just as busy, as the grill is not the focus of the trunk. thus, if it doesnt matter, why put forth the effort to change it? leaving it silver is the best course of action.

Comment

I say paint it, and smoke the plexi over the amp, and throw neon in with it that way when you show it it will light up the stealthier the better, if stealthier is a word. Also trick use an alarm motion sensor to turn the neon, just move your hand over the motion sensor and you have light, just suggestions.

Comment

Take it off, plain and simple, I've never been a fan of grills. Nice fridge, really cool lookin'
                            Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                            Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
                            Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
                            CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
                            NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

Originally posted by microbionic
                              take it off
                              once again, agree'd

Comment

Working...
                              X