amp problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp problem

at first my amp was working perfect...then i installed new subs...and the amp just didnt want to power them, finally the amp just shut off (giving no power). so i tried to change to another amp, but everytime i try to hook up the power to the amp...it blows a fuse...5 fuses later i just gave up... what is wrong...please help!!!

Most likely an impedance problem. What subs did you take out and what was their impedance? What did you replace them and their impedance? Incase you do not know impedance is the ohm rating. The subs will be listed as a certain ohm rating. Usually 4 or 8 ohm but can be something else.

One other thing how are they wired to the amp and what amp are you using?

Comment

the new subs are called rockbox (ebay) and it says it handles 700w. they are 4 Ohms. im running a Bazooka amp and it has the remote, power, ground, RCA, and the wires to the speakers...nothing fancy...but i dont remember what the Ohm reading was on the old subs.

Comment

how are they wired to the amp?
        Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

power is ran straight from the battery...the ground is hooked up to a bolt under the seat...the remote is hooked up to the "remote wire" under the dash. there were only two inputs for the speakers to go into on the amp (+ and -) so i wired the positve from both speakers into the postive input, and both negative wires into the negative input. finally i just have the RCA from a "high to low" converter behind the stock radio to the amp. this whole set up worked perfect before i put these new subs in...

Comment

sounds like the subs are the problem then

you are bridging something wrong. You are bridging two 4 ohm speakers making an ohm load of 2ohms or so on your amp. Is the amp stable under 4 ohms bridged?Probably not, most arent.

Try running the amp with just one speaker wired to it.

Check the fuses, are the AMP ratings high enough for the amp?

ALSO a no name (RockBox?) company that rates their subs at 700w is lying, they most likely take 75-300W RMS
            (All done)
            iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

i tried to run just one speaker also and nothing worked...another question, why are the fuses blowing so easily when im hooking it up just fine...by the way thanks for all the input, keep them coming!!

Comment

whats the size of the fuse?
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

it keeps blowing 30 amp fuses everytime i hook the power up to the amp...

Comment

Ok then yea its definitely an impedence problem. But on a side note its way better than having an impotence problem
                    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Does the fuse blow without the subs connected? Are you sure the subs aren't blown already? Do they move easily if you push on the cone, or are they really hard to push?

Comment

ya i dont even have the subs hooked up and it blows...they feel a little easy to push...whats the remedy?

Comment

It blows with nothing attached to the amp? No speaker wires at all? If so it sounds like the amp is toast. Is there a local place you can have the amp bench tested at?

Comment

Yeah, if it's blowing without speakers attatched, you either have the 12v and ground wires backwards, or the amplifier has a serious problem and needs to be replaced. If the speakers move freely and you don't feel any 'grinding', then they're probably not blown, but other things could cause them not to work.

Comment

I agree, it sounds like the is something that is getting grounded. A wire has been crossed somewhere. Most amps have an internal fuse. I imagine the fuse you kept replacing was the external in-line power fuse. Might check and see if the internal one is still good. I way to check if the speakers work is to take a AA battery and connect the speaker leads to the battery. Not much voltage or amperage to do any harm. Maybe connect a meter and see what Ohms you are getting with the speaker wired as they are now.

Comment

Working...
                              X