Wired FM Modulator That Doesn't Obliterate Radio Signal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wired FM Modulator That Doesn't Obliterate Radio Signal

Has anyone found an FM Modulator that can be left on even when listening to another station? All the ones I've used seem to pump out so much juice that the radio is useless when the modulator is turned on.

I'd like to be able to leave it on and just select that preset when I want it as the input source.

Chris.

Good luck! Every FM Modulator I've ever seen does this to eliminate interference from air waves that might be at or near the same frequency. For example, you might choose 88.7 because there is no radio station in your area that broadcasts on that frequency, but you might drive 10-20 miles away and there is a station on that frequency which would then interfere with the FM Modulator that is "broadcasting" on the same frequency.
    1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

I just ran my 12v in to switch on center console to turn it on and off. Works real well

krustydawg
      Carputer Project: 95% Complete!!
      VIA EPIA MII 10000 motherboard | Morex Cubid 3688 Mini-ITX Case | 80Gb 2.5" Seagate Hard Drive | Kingston 512Mb PC2100 DDR Ram | Mini-PS2 USB Keyboard | Microsoft Windows XP SP2 | Lilliput 7" Touchscreen | Rikaline 6010

Comment

Sounds like about the only solution, just one more step that's all. It'd be nice if the modulator could detect the input signal and power up.

How about RDS, that'd be nice to integrate into a modulator, the radio could jump to the channel automatically then!

Chris.

Comment

soundstream fm modulators work...
          Carputer HIFI car stereo project!
          [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-]
          95% COMPLETE! FINALIZING SOFTWARE PLATFORM!

[XXXXXX--------------]
          30% COMPLETE! CAPUTER Version 2.0! Hardware FAILING! CARPUTER BLEW UP! AND NOW MONITOR TOO! WTF?!

Comment

It will probably be a matter of cost. it's much more challenging to make a radio transmitter that transmits in a very tight frequency band, and has extremely low energy at close frequencies... so I would expect that to find one that doesn't interfere so much you'll need to spend more $$

I think your best bet is definitely to switch it on and off, as people are suggesting.
            But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
            Originally posted by Viscouse
            I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
            eegeek.net

Comment

Originally posted by ukchris
              It'd be nice if the modulator could detect the input signal and power up.
              The Belkin wireless attempts to do this.....but it's kind of a bad thing. If there's a pause in music, or you pause your carputer, the Belkin shuts off, and then you have the station your head unit is on blasting.

I think the best bet is to use a switch. I don't know many people with carputers that listen to their radio that much, unless the machine is not in their car. It's not that bad to flip a switch for when you want to use it. This is how we set up one of our installs.
              www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

sorry to jack this thread

I just bought a cheapy mp3 changer on ebay with an fm modulator, I didn't think it was normal for the radio to konk out when the modulator is on. I am not getting any sound, everything works, the radio cuts out when plugged in, the cd plays but I get no sound, any ideas?

Comment

The modulator normally disconnects the antenna or sends out a signal that is so strong it obliterates it. If you want to listen to the radio you'll want to ensure the FM Modulator is switched off, I would assume the device would power it off when you turn the changer off.

Comment

Yes, when I plug in the antenna to the modulator it obliterates the radio and the in dash cd , no sound what so ever, everything seems to be working just no sound

Comment

It shouldn't affect the in-dash CD at all. I would expect it to obliterate all radio signals while it is switched on. What is the make/model of the unit?

Comment

This is great news!

I was planning on implimenting an FM mod in my new carpc install. I have an AMP and speakers (pretty much brand new) that I took out of my old install but I leased the new truck and was hoping I could get away with out install all the extras.

Of course I was already leary about going from awesome sound to just fm quality. but now this has made me almost rethink my design plans.. and add more work.... MUCH more work...

to be lazy or not to be lazy.... that is the question.
                        Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                        Via EPIA MII
                        512MB RAM
                        OEM GPS (embedded)
                        nLite WinXP pro on
                        1GB Extreme III CF card
                        Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                        Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

There's a good chance your head unit will support an AUX Input which would probably be ideal for the circumstances you describe. Something like this http://www.superchargedaudio.com/pro...oducts_id=2934 (from a quick Google) but look around and try and get specific advice before deciding.

Comment

The mp3 changer is a verge vfmmp3 the car is a 98 ford contour svt with a factory ford cd player, I didn't think it was right to kill the radio signal, when I learned that this was normal I had new hope. IO tested the in dash cd player with the modulator and changer hooked up, the same thing no sound, as soon as I unplug the antenna adapter the sound returns. pos!

Comment

Working...
                            X