center channel speaker underpowered?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• center channel speaker underpowered?

I was thinking,if i have a 5.1 setup and the side speaker have something like 200w,how the hell is the center channel speaker going to match them?!
    I bought a pioneer ts-cx7 (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...303379,00.html ) that is capable of 25w,so this speaker is going to be almost covered by the other even at low volume?
    I tought i could set the gain on the amplifier the same as the other speaker,is it going to ruin it even at low volume?Obviously when i wanted to pump up the volume i will disable it or lower its volume from the soundcard.
    Other solution?I don't like much the idea of put the speaker behind the dash,and don't want to modify my dash.Are there any powerful speaker that could fit in 1 din?
    Download our catalogue here :
    http://www.noboringstuff.com/catalogoweb.zip

a center channel isn't suppose to match the other channels....it's there for fill, nothing more

don't set the gain the same as the others, set it where it NEEDS to be. Meaning, set it where it doesn't clip.

There are NO powerful center channel speakers period, much less for a single din space.

Maybe you need to read up some more on 5.1 before you go much further, it's more of an art than a bruit force....lol
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I understood what you are meaning,but how it is supposed to fill if it has lower volume than it should have?I don't think a center channel of a given wattage can coexist with any other speaker?Or am i wrong?
      If i set the gain for the other speaker much higher than the central one,doesn't that mean that at a given volume the side speaker will be much louder than the central one?
      We are not talking of a little difference,but of something more than 150w!
      Sorry if i'm doing pretty dumb question but i don't know much about music,and all i know i've learnt these months when i chosed to build a carputer.
      I found this:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
      Wouldn't this be a lot better than my ts-cx7?It has 50w rms 150 max
      BTW
      Here turbocad6 tell exactly the opposite,that you should have 5 equal speaker :
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...highlight=srk5

Comment

again, the center channel isn't suppose to be as loud as the rest of the speakers. It's there for FILL and FILL alone.

that alpine would work for you.

as for turbocad6....there's going to be a billion different thoughts and oponions on car audio. That's one reason why I mentioned doing your research.

personally I think that 5.1 in a car is rather useless, but that's just me. It's pretty apparent that a lot of other people don't feel that way, and that's cool.
        Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I had 5.1 in my car before I switched cars, there is no reason to have a very powerful center speaker, as Red GTI is saying, it's purely for fill and that is it, your surround speakers and sub should be taking care of most of the work.
          肚子笑痛了
          S60 Install

Comment

Well,for me it's mostly for a cool and WOW factor.For the most of the time i will use a 2.1 or a 2.2 output where the side speaker output the stereo channel and i redirect bass to the speaker and the voice to the center,but all of this without enabling surround processing but simply using the driver of the soundcard.
            As you know much about hi-fi sound,could you give me an advice.
            As i said before i want to have a dual configuration 5.1(or 7.1 as i have spare speakers)/2.1,when i want to listen to music should i leave only the mid/bass to the rear?Or even that will ruin the sound image?
            If i have 4 speaker to the rear is even worst?Or if approprately filtered they can improve the sound?

Comment

if you think about it....what sounds come from the center channel? mostly high frequency stuff....and that high frequency stuff doesn't take all that much power to reproduce

I understand the cool and wow factor....hell, that's why a lot of people are into car audio in the first place, not to mention CarPCs.

are you really looking for a good sound stage when you listen to your music or do you just want to be surrounded by the music?

btw - where are you from?
              Jan Bennett

Comment

Good,then i'll take that alpine and don't think anymore at the center channel,i'll change the pioneer the same as i don't want to drill my dash of the new car.
                I want a good sound stage,as real as possible,it has to sound like a live concert.
                For now i have a semi-professional soundcard,a pair of boston pro 5.5,2x boston rx97,2x ciare ch252,a subwoofer pioneer don't remember wich model,and an unknow brand 6ch amplifier.Most of that was or was bought for the old car a 106,and i was thinking of taking something.I wanted to buy a pair of focal utopia 6.5'' for the front,and buy an amplifier for them and run the rest off the unknow 6 channel amplifier.
                What do you think?Some suggestion of what to reuse and what not?
                I'm already almost reaching the 2000 eur(2440$) as of now,i don't want to spend much more,my portfolio is crying

BTW
                I'm from Italy,i've just update my profile.

Comment

I think that if you are going to spend so much time and effort on this you need to ditch that noname amp.

If you are looking at focal utopias you need to put an amp on them that does them justice. To not should be a crime.

I think you should realize that in car audio, as with most other things, more is not always better.
                  Jan Bennett

Comment

It's not even good for the rear speaker?I have to ditch even the boston pro 5.5?They were pretty expensive
                    What if i put use 7.1(front/rear/sub/center) channel for surround powering the front with a good amp and the rest with the noname amp and 2.1(only front and sub) for listening music?At least i would have spent the money on something i use,
                    Noone want the buy these speaker

Comment

I'm not saying you have to ditch the speakers, just the noname amp.....
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

I just bought these off ebay :
                        -Focal Utopia 180w
                        http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
                        -Butler Tube Driver TD-1500
                        http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Hope i made a good buy(for the price,hell the products should be good!),as i'm now way over my budget

The othe amplifier is not exactly no brand,just a little unknown.I haven't found review of these product,other than a russian site that i babelfished
                        The spec seemed good,and it shouldn't be a class D as it says hybrid digital,boh
                        Here it is :
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
                        It's not made from audiobahn,only sold in usa by the same company that sell audiobahn.
                        I can't afford to buy anther amplifier now,hope it sound decent at least,as i'm already way too much off budget and have to buy the lcd screen too !
                        Maybe i will change it in the future,when i will have the money.

BTW,i read that tube amplifier have to warm up,what does that mean?
                        It doesn't produce sound until is warm?It produce bad sound?It produce low sound?

Comment

well, let me recant my previous statements about your center channel....

I was talking with a friend of mine who is much more knowledgeable than I am about this subject and he informed my that I was wrong. So I digress. I don't want to mislead anyone.

For true 5.1 you want the center channel to be as loud if not louder than the others because in 5.1 for movies most of your information comes from that center channel. After he explained it in more detail to me, it made complete sense.

Sorry for missleading you on this subject.

As is pretty obvious, most people don't have room or don't want to hack appart their dash to put a bigger driver up there so that's why you only see smaller drivers for a center channel. duh....lol

now, onto your last post...

those amps are excelent quality, and that sub is as well.

tube amplifiers have to warm up, but it's nothing to be worried about. it will take very little time. You will notice it, but it's only a few seconds....now previous tube amps took minutes....but apparently they have improved a great deal since then
                          Jan Bennett

Comment

Thanks for the explanation,so the alpine is a forced choice as i don't want to destroy my poor dash
                            I will lower the volume of the other speaker when i use surround,kind of boring as the driver of the soundcard doesn't have a good management of profiles,only load/save settings.
                            I asked about the warm up time because if read this comment here:
                            http://www.carreview.com/amplifiers/...x.aspx#reviews

No crossover or any other stuff... this amp is a pure power.
                            This amp require to warm up around 15 minutes to show the real muscle (Tube characteristic)
                            What?!this is not referred to my amp,another model of the same brand,but it would kill me 15 minutes!

BTW,what subs?The pioneer?

Comment

if you use a small speaker for center channel you will KILL the whole surround experience....wheather you can even tell is another story it will add a little center presence....but not in a good way.....I've seen people with them in high end systems....& while they obviously sounded great....I think they would sound better as just a stereo set with phantom center..

.it's not that I'm just old school, it's the fact that even though a voice happens to be in the midband reigon it still has reverbs that extend down below frequencys that are reproducable in a small center channel.....this translates to a voice actually changing tone & timber as it crosses the screen.......

I had pointed it out to a friend of mine in his system....a movie with densel washington...he stood on the left & spoke.....walked cross the screen speaking.....if you paid attention it was obvious that his voice changed as he walked across the screen.....not only in intesity but in tone & timber.........he hates me for pointing it out because now he notices it all the time

not even to mention that the speakers should be a tonal match for each other...which you will not get with most centers to sides buy using good sides & a small center.....the better the sides the worse it will be...

just trying to help & by the way, this is not just my opinion.........
                              MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Working...
                              X