I'm a amp retard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a amp retard

I don't know that much about car audio but I'm putting a carputer in and ditching my HU and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation of a 4 channel amp that's decent and cheap I don't need something great cus I don't listen to music that loud and it would be powering my stock speakers (03 tiburon)
    any suggestions would be great would a cheap ebay amp work for what I would need I've also seen some Boss amps and I've always been happy with the boss guitar stuff that I've had is it the same company? anyone know the quality?

and I was hopping to spend around 80 shipped

Comment

you might want to check out some car audio forum classifieds. They may have something there for that price.

Comment

I suggest a Rockford Fosgate 3001. PM me, and I'll get you a decent amp for a really good price. The reason why I suggest the RF is beceause their only downfall is they can get hot, but since you are not going to but playing full blast alot, I don't think it's going to be a problem, other than that they are good amps.

Comment

You dont want to power up your stock speakers, becuase you'd most definitely blow them out eventually. most stock speakers would only be able to take about 15 watts max. I put a After market headunit and ended up blowing my stock speakers in less than a month. plus the sound quality would suck *** out of those stock speakers
          "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
          "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
          [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

I have a rockford 301X and I love it. you really dont need anything more than 300w rms to 4 channels, it will get quite loud if you want it to, but thats not always the point. i think i got mine referbed off ebay for around 100, but i dont remember. I have been quite happy with it though..
            The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by nomorspam
              I'm a amp retard
              And grammer retard as well.

Really, you probably don't need more than 50 watts per channel, and if you are only used the stereo output from the carputer motherboard, you only need a 2-channel amp.
              Use the search options built into the ebay car audio department.
              2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

Originally posted by pancit175
                You dont want to power up your stock speakers, becuase you'd most definitely blow them out eventually. most stock speakers would only be able to take about 15 watts max. I put a After market headunit and ended up blowing my stock speakers in less than a month. plus the sound quality would suck *** out of those stock speakers
                Yes and No, depending on how old your speakers are (in this case 03 so not that old). Aftermarket ones will always sound better but a headunit amp and a real amplifier are very different as far as distortion specs, so within reason you can be fine with using the factory speakers and it will sound better. You can't expect to much though and it will be very easy to blow the factory ones if you do.

Comment

no no no.

You buy new speakers. They have an RMS wattage rating. Buy your amp based on that.

Dont buy an amp and then buy speakers, its most likely harder to find something to match.

Factory speakers are made of cardboard/paper. Are usually some strange Ohm load and cant take much more than the output of the STOCk radio. Compare a stock radio to even a ****ty Walmart CD player and it still puts out 35Wx4 which would "distory and blow" stock speakers.

NEVER POWER STOCK SPEAKERS from an amp, from a head unit is ok cuz if it says its putting 45wx4 on your head unit, its ******* lying. How can something the size of a HU put out 4 channels at 45watts when a REAL amp that does the same wattage is almost 2 times the size and weight. Think about the physical size of a head unit vs something that does the same thing, and youll understand what I mean. Its probably 45watts at like 0.00002 milli amps. Meaning, bull****.

if you want a decent and cheap amp, use ebay and just see whats around and then ask for some opinions on those brands. But the first thing you need is decent speakers. YOU WILL NEVER get a decent sound from a stock speaker, powered or not.
                  (All done)
                  iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

NEVER POWER STOCK SPEAKERS from an amp
                    I don't agree with this at all. dude, hes talking about buying a CHEAP amp to run his speakers off of because his line out can't drive them. He's not talking about building a system that will bump, just one that will match his stock setup. Yes, if you want to turn it up loud you'll need aftermarket speakers, also if you want crisp highs and deep lows. but thats not what he wants, so buying the cheapest 4 channel amp and setting the gain so it can't be cranked up very loud will work perfectly for his application. Not yours or mine.

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki
                      Its probably 45watts at like 0.00002 milli amps.
                      hey, I don't know about your HU amp, but mine is perfectly capable of supplying 2,250,000,000 volts into my 112,500,000,000,000,000 ohm stock speakers to get 45 watts at 0.00000002 amps
                      But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                      Originally posted by Viscouse
                      I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                      eegeek.net

Comment

Dood. have you taken out a stock speaker and read the RMS wattage rating on them? Many are under 20W. You find me, even a cheap one, an amp that can put out less than 45W per channel.

LOUD is a relative term. Turning up the volume is not simply decibels. Its also moving the speaker back and forth farther, ****ty paper speakrs cant take this. Buying an aftermarket amp you will probably get 45W or more per channel, and youll be pushing speakers that are rated far below that. They will sound terrible at anything but a whisper. An amp gives the back and forth motion of the speaker a bit more of a "punch" and a paper one, cant take that.

And of course a line out cant drive them. LINE OUT is a LINE out, a LINE level signal which to be heard NEEDS an amp.
                        (All done)

Comment

an amp can be made to handle cheap speakers just fine! all you have to do is crank the highpass filter.. maybe 200 hz, hell, 500 if you need to, and you will run NO chance of blowing a speaker. just turn up the crossover until you don't hear distortion anymore and voila.
                          what don't you get? he wants a cheap solution to get sound out of his system.. less is better. and so what if he blows the speakers? then he'll have to buy new ones, but at this point, he might need new speakers but he definately needs an amplifier. Do you not agree with that?????

Comment

so basically your idea is turn the amp into a pile of ****?

I have no chance of blowing a speaker if I dont use it! OF COURSE! Set the high pass so you cant hear a full range of sounds from a full range speaker...NONSENSE.

I agree he NEEDs an AMP but I DO NOT agree that buying an amp BEFORE speakers is a good idea.

If you want sound from your carputer to your speakers, drop the HU, get an amp and go for it.

but in doing so make sure your speakers can handle the wattage from the AMP. This is why I suggest buying speakers first, amp second.
                            (All done)

Comment

As I was in the process of building my Del sol back in the day (my comp car) I had my PPI Art series amp hooked up to the factory front stage (crappy pair of coaxs). I knew I was not going to keep it like that and I even went to some competions with it like that to get the points. While I got all of the ground work done on the trunk (ie amp, subs, and processor layout) and funds for the front stage. Distortion kills far more speakers the overexcurtion so a good amp can drive any speaker harder than a bad one can due to that fact. The rms wattage is a really good number to have around but it is not the be all and end all of the speaker. Again don't expect to much, and it's not the ideal situation but it's okay.

Comment

Working...
                              X