Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amp Volume Fluctuations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Amp Volume Fluctuations

    I have my Carputer running directly through an amp powering the speakers (no head unit) and when I drive, the volume decreases when I step on the gas or brake pedals.

    I tried disconnecting the computer and using a standalone MP3 player as a sound source for the amp and it still did the same thing, so it shouldn't have anything to do with the computer. I also regroudned it, but it didn't help.

    The amp is 60 W x 4 and the alternator is 90 amps. The carputer has a 90W AC power supply fed by a 150 W RMS inverter.

    I'm out of ideas and I'd be very appreciative of some suggestions!
    My Carputer

  • #2
    when you are driving you are probably around 14.4v when you are idling it'll drop between 12-13v so thats why the volume is going down. how new is your battery?

    one option is to get a louder exhaust, that way it'll sound louder at idle
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

    Comment


    • #3
      my battery is a couple of years old. I hooked a voltmeter up to the power leads to the amp and the voltage does fluctuate when idling if I turn on the headlights or AC, could that be the cause? If so, how can I fix that... other than muffling it out with a loud exhaust?
      My Carputer

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gewehrschuss
        my battery is a couple of years old. I hooked a voltmeter up to the power leads to the amp and the voltage does fluctuate when idling if I turn on the headlights or AC, could that be the cause? If so, how can I fix that... other than muffling it out with a loud exhaust?
        I believe the traditional fix for this is to add a stiffening capacitor for the amp.
        Ive never used one myself though.

        Comment


        • #5
          A cap wont solve that, they don't have the staying power, they are only used for quick bursts like a bass hit. I'm not sure exactly how to solve it, maybe an optima yellow top? what gauge wire are you using? do your headlights dim when the bass hits?
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
          Transflective Xenarc

          My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm using 10-gauge wire
            My Carputer

            Comment


            • #7
              no, my headlights don't dim at all
              My Carputer

              Comment


              • #8
                the wire may be too thin, it may be adding too much resistance into the system. maybe you could try a quick test by running some 4 gauge instead. a quick test may be to just get some 8 gauge wire and wire it in parrallel (doesn't have to be hidden, just run it on the outside for this test) to the 10 gauge that you have. keep your revs high and listen to the radio then let it idle and see if the volume goes down.
                New System in progress:
                M10k
                Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                Transflective Xenarc

                My Car Pc Install
                My Boat Pc worklog

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'll give it a try, thanks for the suggestion
                  My Carputer

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    keep us posted if it doesnt work, we'll get down to the bottom of this. there are a few pro installers on this forum that may chime in with some other advice
                    New System in progress:
                    M10k
                    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                    Transflective Xenarc

                    My Car Pc Install
                    My Boat Pc worklog

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by scott_fx
                      the wire may be too thin, it may be adding too much resistance into the system. maybe you could try a quick test by running some 4 gauge instead. a quick test may be to just get some 8 gauge wire and wire it in parrallel (doesn't have to be hidden, just run it on the outside for this test) to the 10 gauge that you have. keep your revs high and listen to the radio then let it idle and see if the volume goes down.
                      I'd bet there is two issues, the first one could be too small of guage wire and the second one could be an older battery. The above test is the perfect starting point. Like already was said let us know.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        To start with, the battery isnt supplying the power when youre driving. The alternator is where the juice is coming from.. So dont go replacing parts until you do some basics first.

                        Id suggest upgrading all your wiring first, then seeing how it performs, then consider upgrading the alternator. (90ams should be plenty for a small system though)...


                        At least 8 guage to the amp/computer, upgrade the battery to chassis ground, upgrade the engine to chassis ground, upgrade the alternator to battery power cable.
                        99 ram 5.9 turbo
                        P4 2.0, MicroATX, Audigy2nx, Monster Cable / Alpine.
                        Coming soon: Indash motorized, 5.1, dvdrw, gps, bluetooth, wifi, and more!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          i totally agree with both of you....check the wiring first
                          New System in progress:
                          M10k
                          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                          Transflective Xenarc

                          My Car Pc Install
                          My Boat Pc worklog

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TimW
                            To start with, the battery isnt supplying the power when youre driving. The alternator is where the juice is coming from.. So dont go replacing parts until you do some basics first.

                            Id suggest upgrading all your wiring first, then seeing how it performs, then consider upgrading the alternator. (90ams should be plenty for a small system though)...


                            At least 8 guage to the amp/computer, upgrade the battery to chassis ground, upgrade the engine to chassis ground, upgrade the alternator to battery power cable.
                            Before you try to make me sound like an idiot you may want to realize that if the battery is bad it will not let the alternator do it's job properly. A good battery and a good alternator are both good ideas but you should ALWAYS swap in a good battery first(after getting the wiring right). Now you may tell me I'm wrong.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              i think you're correct
                              New System in progress:
                              M10k
                              Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                              Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                              Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                              Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                              Transflective Xenarc

                              My Car Pc Install
                              My Boat Pc worklog

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X