Insignia head unit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insignia head unit

Anyone know anything about this headunit?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099396976753
    Insignia™ 40W x 4 CD Deck with CD-R/RW/MP3/WMA Playback and Wireless Remote
    Model: IN-MP101

I can't find anything through Google, nothing on here. I would think it would be somewhere since it has the geek factor of a USB port and (maybe) OGG playback. The OGG playback shows up when you search BB for Insignia, but not on the product page.

Anyone know anything or have any comments?
    1997 Honda CR-V
    Audio::Custom Speaker Box:/:2x10" Rockford Fosgates:/:Sony Xplod amp
    Computer::Epia M10000:/:Deluo GPS:/:Lilliput 7":/:802.11g:/:In a shoebox
    Software::FrodoPlayer + Destinator3

i work at best buy, Insignia is a brand exclusivly through best buy, its backed by i BELIEVE, toshiba, panasonic and a couple other brands. They're decent quality, but they're made for best buy to make huge profit and margin. It's not gonna die out on you or anything like that, but the sound quality isn't gonna be as good as a pioneer or Alpine headunit.

Again, they're decent for people who want something to work and have features.

Comment

thanks for the response. Any idea if it'll fit in a 97 Honda CRV? I plugged in my info on the BB site and it says the only thing that will fit in my car is a $1399 Kenwood unit with a touchscreen, so I'm assuming that's not a reliable way to determine if it will fit.

I'm not looking for incredible audio quality, just need something to replace the FM Modulator+Factory unit to get rid of the static and hum.
      1997 Honda CR-V
      Audio::Custom Speaker Box:/:2x10" Rockford Fosgates:/:Sony Xplod amp
      Computer::Epia M10000:/:Deluo GPS:/:Lilliput 7":/:802.11g:/:In a shoebox
      Software::FrodoPlayer + Destinator3

Comment

Looks like with an adapter/facia bezel any single din radio will work
        http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...465_4_full.jpg

Comment

i am an installer there and i will say it is junk. the actual radio is a little bigger than a normal one so in some cars it doesnt fit nice. in the crv there is no problem. if you like the usb feature jvc has a raadio that we sell with secure digital. it is better than have a usb drive sticking out the front. plus it has a motorized face, color screen and you can by the aux cable. it is more expensive but well worth it.

Comment

I work at Best Buy too, I'm a computer tech and the Insignia computers suck major a$$. It's just another way Best Buy can make more money off the ignorance of the customer. I'd say don't get it unless you can get someone at Best Buy to get it for extremely cheap.

Comment

Insignia MP-101 Stereo Unit

I found this radio to quite Unique. I purchased it about a week ago so I'm still getting use to it. I must say the features are very cool. It's nice to be able to throw some MP3s on a Memory stick and play em in the car. It also has another feature which I found out about after buying it. It alows you to record from the radio straight onto the memory stick. I found that to be pretty cool. There are three things that I wish they would have worked on. 1. the back light (depending on where your stereo is it could be a little hard to see, mines on the bottom) 2. The USB feature plays great but its funny about what usb stick it will record to, luckily I had a couple to try and one works. 3. the only thing I really dislike about the radio is that in between tracks it takes a 1-2 second break. This can be annoying if your listening to a cd like Abbey Road. But It's bearable and I love the features. You must take the good with the bad. All in All not a bad radio.

Comment

The usb "flash" memory stick is ideal if thats what you are looking for. But the overall quality is shotty. It does fit in with the whole mp3 craze. So if you're big on the quantity of you playlists, different ways you can bring media to you car, and want a quick way to transfer tracks from your pc to you car, go for it. But really thats all you're getting. I've seen one of those, after the 1st day being in a car just crap out on the CD player. At one point it would detect the CD and play it fine. change the source to the radio and back then it would detect the CD but it wouldnt play. At another point it would not even eject or accept the CD just seconds after it was just ejected.
                Overall its a good idea, but they forgot to add a few things to the radio, Like quailty.
                You're choice: quality or quantity
                "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
                "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
                [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

Originally posted by XxAndyxX
                  I work at Best Buy too, I'm a computer tech and the Insignia computers suck major a$$. It's just another way Best Buy can make more money off the ignorance of the customer. I'd say don't get it unless you can get someone at Best Buy to get it for extremely cheap.
                  What's wrong with the Insignia computers? I've found that they've always had decent brand name compenents (Intel motherboard) and I never had many problems with them. The thing that drove me nuts about working for BBY was how many Celeron machines were sold and how much knowledge a few of the "geeks" lacked on simple things.

Find a friend that works for Best Buy to get it and other things for you. You'd be amazed what you can save on the small stuff. You may be able to get a better headunit in your price range by finding connections there.
                  Xenarc 7" USB Touch LCD / 3.06 GHz P4 / 512MB DDR / 250GB 7200RPM 16MB HD /
                  DS-ATX 220W / Centrafuse / GPS / XM / 802.11g: 6db / RF Keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by divinity
                    Anyone know anything about this headunit?
                    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099396976753
                    Insignia™ 40W x 4 CD Deck with CD-R/RW/MP3/WMA Playback and Wireless Remote
                    Model: IN-MP101

I can't find anything through Google, nothing on here. I would think it would be somewhere since it has the geek factor of a USB port and (maybe) OGG playback. The OGG playback shows up when you search BB for Insignia, but not on the product page.

Anyone know anything or have any comments?
                    can anyone tell me how this compares with the othe r sub-100 ones like the Dual and JVC brand ones?

thanks.

Comment

Insignia Head unit

I purchased this unit about 3 days ago. So far it's working great. I had Kenwood, Alpine, and Dual head unit before (most of them were stolen along with my 240sx.... sigh...), but this one has all the bells and wistles I want: USB port, sub-woof out, 2 pair line out, Aux in, FM/AM radio recording, MP3 & WMA playback...

I plugged in my memory card reader and it read up to 1GB of Compact Flash, SD, or memory stick! My 1GB jump drive (thumb drive) works pretty well, too. I'm trying to see if I can attach 2.5 inch USB Hard drive or plug in Creative Muvo mp3 player ....
                      No need to burn MP3 CD again, again, again, No need to worry about scratched CDs (esp when you have 3 boys around...) or cheap CDs you buy at Fry's/Compusa having the surface peeling off....

AUX-In sound is very clear and I cannot hear any noise/ground loop feed back. I plug in my Carputer and pocket PC and it sounded good. I used to use Sony Cassett Apator for my Alpine Cassett Deck, but it had mechanical noise and feed back noise.

direct WMA encoding off of Radio need a little improvement. On some recordings you can hear reverb/echo effect similar to music recorded with low bit rate. But overall, it's satisfactory.

By the looks of it, it looks like Dual (maybe Dual, which is Korean Company called Namsung, made Insignia for Bestbuy.) However Dual has much rich bass compare to this unit. This unit has cripy high range as Alpine unit.
                      I haven't plug in my Alpine Sub yet, so I'm sure bass will improve once I connect the sub.

Also the nice thing is that I purchased 4 year warrenty for $19. I can even trade in the unit to get full $100 credit toward the other unit if I should decide to go with much more expensive, but nicer Alpine unit.

For overall features and price, (with extended warrenty) I think this unit is a good choice.

Comment

I bought and Alpine, 9847 I think was it. Its not too fancy, but its great. I figure, for 117$ your getting way to much and you have to be giving up something.
                        Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                        Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
                        Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
                        CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
                        NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

If Insignia headunits are made by Dual :/ but if it's really a panasonic that's a quality brand.

I just bought this a week ago-the thing that sold me was the usb port - seeing that I have 3 thumb drives, I'm a graphic designer, so I use them all the time. I've had the same jvc headunit for the last 5 years (45wattsX4) and I've got to say, the sound quality in this Insignia is not quite as good as the jvc. I can tell the difference...I have 3 tens, a 600 watt fosgate amp, and midrange speakers in the doors and rear deck, that I run off the of the headunits 4 channels.

Honestly, though - the sound quality on the headunit is pretty good - the main diff b/w this and my jvc, is that the highs are just a bit more muffly, that's what I can tell. The bass is definitely there, though. How can you go wrong for 99 bucks I said to myself, though. The audio inputs are nice, even though I'll probably never use them in this car.

I NEED YOUR GUYS HELP-I'm kind of disappointed now that I'm reading in the manual that the max size drive you can read through the usb port is 1gb....is this true!? I wanted to buy a freakin 2.5" laptop drive (30-80gb) and put it in a usb2.0 enclosure (10 bucks ebay) and run it off of the usb port. Has anyone ever tried this? Sometimes those manuals are wrong - japs write them, and then the english is converted and it doesnt always sound right. That would be like converting your headunit car into an ipod- for around the total price of 150 bucks, ballpark !!!

I'm contemplating whether or not I should keep this. I have noticed, that sometimes the disc wil lag, when switching from cd/mp3/to radio, and back - and the only remedy is to power down the unit, wait 3 seconds, and then turn it back on - which can get annoying. One benefit of this headunit over my last, is being able to read the artist and titles of songs that I play off of mp3 discs, whihc hold around 150 songs. That's still not enough. I want to be able to have thousands of songs in my car, and never have to change discs, that's why I was so turned on to this headunit. I have 512 thumb drives, buying a 1gb (supposed max size, according to the manual) would be pointless, seeing that a cd already holds 700mb. I want to be able to hook up an external usb drive thats like 30+ gb.

Dammit, why can't they just make more headunits with usb ports!? There are no other brands that have that, I've seen a PYLE that did, but it was cheap looking. I'm happy with the looks and display on this headunit.

What should I do? I could just reorganize all of my mp3s and burn up mp3 discs, but that's still kind of dumb, since I'm still scrificing some sound quality compared to my last headunit. Should I say screw the usb port, exchange it to bestbuy and spend a bit more on a higher end mp3 unit? But then I still want to have some way to hook up an external hard drive.
                          Photographer / Designer | My BLOG | Twitter

Comment

anybody?
                            Photographer / Designer | My BLOG | Twitter

Comment

Please, Best Buy employee gods help me out.

I have the insignia head unit pictured above.
                              I am trying to hook up my Boss mono block amp to the head unit.
                              The head unit only has 1 cable that says subwoofer and it is green.
                              The amp has the standard stereo inputs (1white connecter, 1 red connecter).
                              How do i hook up the amp to my head unit im so confused.
                              Do i not hook it to the one called subwoofer?

Thx for your help.

And to contribute to this thread I will say that the head unit i have sounds exceptionally good using my sandisk 1gb thumb drive, and my infinity kappa 3way 6.5 in. speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X