Buying Amps on eBay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Amps on eBay

Any one had bad experiences buying amplifiers on eBay? They're so much cheaper, but you get what you pay for. Should i attempt to wade through all this BS or just go pay semi-full price at car-domain or something?
    I'mmmmmm a n00b.... feel free to make fun

most amp companies won't honor the warranty if the amp is bought off of ebay, so if u don't mind taking the chance on getting a bad amp then go right ahead...as for me i'd shell out the extra cash....its well worth it if anything goes wrong with it.

Comment

i bought one and it works fine

Comment

you guys act as if ebay is one person or seller! im pretty sure which ever amp your looking for there is a powerseller on ebay who has it and will give you a one year warranty or some sort. i bought autoteks off ebay and i got 3 year warranty on them. its not always bad.
        i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

ebay can be a great source for amps.......you can by an older, higher quality amp for around the same price as you would pay for new cheap crap....of course this will take research to determine what's good & there is the risk factor, but I have found ebay to be a great source....... just learn how to read feedback & realize that if something looks too good to be true...it probably isn't....

you can get an old school ppi amp, old school rockford.....ads....orion....
          you could get a good deal on mcintosh amps.....butler, xtant....ebay is great....ocasionally real high end stuff can be had there for pennies on the dollar......

if your'e the type that wants new with oem warrentee's though....ebay may not be the best choice....although as eskalad said...there are many full blown bussiness traders on ebay that can be as good as any other online experience
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

EBay is only as good as the seller you buy from.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

agreed darque

I've sold a lot of our amps on ebay, most of them still new in the box or with less than 20 hours of playing time on them.

If you are lucky (and are just patient) you will find a lot of other people like me on ebay.

People who are sponsored who get the stuff at DIRT cheap and are willing to sell a product that's hardly used just to pay for the new stuff that they are about to get...

since our cars see only 5000 miles (on the HIGH end) in a year because we both ride motorcycles every day, my stuff is pretty much new when it comes out of the car. Only used when we have to have the car to run an errand or to go to competitions....

look around a bit, check all the audio forums for sale sections and be patient. Decide which amp you want to buy then go look for it. To decide you want and amp, then look for a good price on any amp can be a huge headache. Pick the product first, then look for hte best price on that particular product.

I talk good about ebay in this sense. Both my boyfriend and I have been screwed over royally on ebay and with paypal. it's not fun and it can be a BIG headache. for this reason I will not purchase on ebay unless it's just a really good deal...and even then I'm nervous about it
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

The one thing i noticed about ebay is theres tons of these really crappy amps with massive max power power ratings, like 2000W but only with say, a 25 amp fuse ..... and when you manage to find the manufacturers web page you find out its about 200w rms all round... just make sure you always find the makers site and check the datasheet for its real output before bidding.

Comment

yeah make sure you check the manufacturers details.
                  if its an older model they usually have the older manuals achived on the site somewhere
                  My install... check it out!

www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56599

Comment

I bought a used RF 500X off ebay. It worked great for about 6 months then blew. I contacted the seller (not expecting him to do anything since it was "as-is" and I don't think any of it was his falut) and he just said he had no problems. I asked him if he had the receipt but he didn't.

I had to pay $125 to RF to get it fixed.
                    Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by tbird2340
                      I bought a used RF 500X off ebay. It worked great for about 6 months then blew. I contacted the seller (not expecting him to do anything since it was "as-is" and I don't think any of it was his falut) and he just said he had no problems. I asked him if he had the receipt but he didn't.

I had to pay $125 to RF to get it fixed.
                      what else did you expect?
                      Jan Bennett
                      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I guess I expected it to work for the life I had it!!
                        Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Comment

I've bought a lot of car audio equiptment on ebay.....for ther most part I've been lucky & have almost always got a good deal......I did get one ppi art seiries that was toasted & a mcintosh mc4000m that i paid $1,400 for....meet the guy & all......still had two blown channels......had it fixed/refurbished for $180...still a $3,400 amp for under $1,600 total........

yes there is risks involved...but there are also great deals to be had......if you buy alot then the law of averages are on your side.....guess it would suck to have the first one you buy be junk though

I have bought $1,400 navigation systems for under $600.....I have bought high end $1,000 horns for under $300.....I have gotten $700 head units for under $400......

there are definately deals to be had on ebay......the majority of them are either someone upgrading there system, or replacing there vehicle......

I turn to ebay all the time for high end audio & computer/laptop stuff....for the most part I have saved a fourtune
                          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

I bought my Alpine MRV-450 5 channel amp new off of Ebay 3 years ago and it still works like its brand new. Planning on buying a JL 500/5 here soon, gonna go through ebay again seeing as its $100 cheaper than retail sites.
                            I only buy new amps, I don't trust what other people have done to them (run them on low impedance loads, blasted the hell out of them, etc). Buying a used amp is a roll of the dice, you should expect a short lifespan out of it.

Comment

Dont buy from people who have a zillion feedback or the same post 10 times in a row, or are ONLY buy it now.

Those are business on ebay and not REAL people.

IMO the best **** on ebay to be had is always from person to person. Ive been on ebay 6 years and have 88 feedback. Thats damn good but nothing compared to alot of ebayers who use it as a business.

Be wary of anyone selling tons of stuff, they arent an online Yard Sale, which is how I like to look at eBay....the better the text of the auction the better the item.

Meaning that if it has a story with it, its usually someone just trying to get rid of something they no longer want or are upgrading. "I had this for a couple of years, used it all the time, works great" is a better auction than "100RMS comes with original box".
                              (All done)
                              iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Working...
                              X