Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this possible? Routing HU into the PC then into Amp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this possible? Routing HU into the PC then into Amp?

Heya,

I have a problem with my setup, first off i'll explain what i have at the moment and the current situation.

At the moment i have a basic amp and sub setup with 2 front speakers in the doors. An RCA cable goes from the HU into the 2channel Amp and then that goes into the sub. No problem, untill my PC comes tomorrow.

I need to find a way to get the HU *and* PC sound working without buying any expensive equipment. Easy you think, just input the PC sound through the HU, but i don't have an input on my HU, so thats out the question.

What i wanted to know is this...

Is there a way to input the HU through the PC? (I'm using a Via MII 12000). I'm not sure how i'd connect the RCA output of the Hu into the PC but this is what i need to know.

So basically i want the HU to input into the PC... and then the PC goes into the Amp which then goes into the speakers. I know this skips the sub but i can sort that at a later stage.

Would this be possible? Having 2 outputs from the PC.. obviously i'd need a way of only having one at a time..?

Please help!

Regards,
    Rob.

First: Why do you want to the head unit if your getting a carputer.
    Second: Yes its possible to plug the head unit in the computer, you have to use the line out of the head unit and plug that in the line in of the computer.
    Than you plug the line out of the computer to the amps.

But the signal from the head unit might be too strong and damage the sound card.

Comment

Reason why i want to do that is because the HU radio is the best quality i'm going to get in the UK, and i can use CD's if i need to.

When you say the line in of the PC.. do you mean the microphone input?

Is it possible for the HU to be too powerfull for the soundcard?

Comment

Originally posted by m00ie
        When you say the line in of the PC.. do you mean the microphone input?
        No. There is a microphone input AND a line in input.
        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Is it possible for the HU to be too powerfull for the soundcard?
          =

But the signal from the head unit might be too strong and damage the sound card.
          A soundcard as sometimes a line in; the difference is the microphone input is amplified and not the line input.

Try and set the volume at minimum on the head unit and go up gradually until it distorts. And set it so It doesnt distort.

Comment

Reason why i want to do that is because the HU radio is the best quality i'm going to get in the UK, and i can use CD's if i need to.
            I see, In that case you can make a switch that switches between the speakers are plugged to the head unit or the radio. It would be much more safe than going through the computer.

Comment

ok so it's possible then

How would i choose between listening to MP3's from the PC.. and listening to the radio from the HU?

Comment

Originally posted by kevinlekiller
                I see, In that case you can make a switch that switches between the speakers are plugged to the head unit or the radio. It would be much more safe than going through the computer.
                Sounds like a plan, but how would i do that?

Comment

Connect rca's(going to the amp) to a 2 pole 2 throw switch. And each side you put the inputs from the radio and amps. Like this :

EDIT: Left HU In and Right HU in are the sound comming from the head unit.

And Left PC IN + Right PC IN are the sound coming from the computer (headphone jack).

Oh and a 2p2t looks like this (6 legs) :

http://images.google.ca/images?q=tbn...-002/SL002.jpg

Comment

and mount that somewhere in the dash?

Couldn't i just mute the main channel of the PC when i want to listen to the HU which is in the LineIn port?

Could someone tell me if a HU will damage a PC soundcard?

Comment

Yes you could mount that in the dash.

Edit: This would be a better switch :

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=275%2D663

Comment

Not too keen on doing this that way, is there any chance the HU would be too powerfull for the soundcard if i pass it through it?

If so, anything i can do to overcome this?

I'd like to stay away from switches in the dash as i'd rather buy a HU with aux in.. or a 4channel amp instead.

Comment

Or you could just be ghetto and leave the HU as is, then splice the wires of the line-out from your PC directly to the output of your HU. Then the only problem is having only one of them on at any givin moment in time.

What you'll need:

two female to female RCA splitter cables
                          headphone din to RCA cable
                          headphone extender cable

You then take the two female to female splitters and connect them to your sub cable. This leaves you with 4 female RCA connections. Two are for your HU, two are for your PC cable. The extension is to mount the CPU wherever you want.

When the sound leaves your PC, you have no choice but to amplify it. I have a similar solution in my 02 TB, but I removed my factory deck.

Read about it here My system
                          Absorb, elaborate, plan, execute.

Comment

Replace the head unit. Rip the CD's to disk. Get a Radio Shark if FM is really necessary.
                            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                            Want to:
                            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

ok i think i've decided to give up on the headunit.

Would i be able to connect my soundcard DIRECTLY to the front speakers? Would it be powerfull enough?

And then connect the sub output of the soundcard into the amp then into the sub like normal.

Comment

Working...
                              X