Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of these subs should sound better?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which of these subs should sound better?

I currently have an older Rockford Fosgate RFP2410 10" Woofer. I thought a newer sub would sound better so I got a Kicker C10 Comp 10". Well I installed it today and I think the older RF sounds better!! Should it? Could it be the box? Thoughts??

I'm using an RF500X amp. I have it wired 4ohm bridged 250 Watts X 2.

RF2410 Specs:

Model RFP2410
    Nominal Impedance 4
    FS (Hz) 30
    RE (Ohm) 3.7
    LE (mH) 3.3
    QMS 5.38
    QES 0.39
    QTS 0.36
    VAS (cu.ft.) 1.62
    VAS (liter) 46
    Power (Watts RMS) 200
    Power (Watts Peak) 400
    SPL (dB @ 1w/1m) 87
    X-MAX (inches) 0.31
    X-MAX (mm) 8
    Sealed Box Vol. (cu. ft.) 0.75
    Ported Box Vol. (cu. ft.) 1.0
    Speaker Dis. (cu. ft.) 0.06
    Mounting Dia. (in.) 95⁄32
    Mounting Depth (in.) 41⁄2

Kicker C10 Specs:
    Nominal Impedance [Zn], ohm - 4 or 8
    Resonance Frequency [fs], Hz - 29.4
    Sensitivity [SPLo], dB @ 1W, 1m - 87.3
    Effective Piston Area [Sd], in2 (m2) - 57.4 (.037)
    Power Handling Watts, Peak (RMS) - 300 (150)
    Effective Frequency Range, Hz - 30-500
    Effective Excursion [EXmax™], in (mm) - .38 (9.76)
    DC Resistance [Re], ohm - 3.70
    Voice Coil Inductance [Le], mH - 3.15
    Voice Coil Diameter [d], in (mm) - 1 5/8 (40.5)
    Voice Coil Length [h], in (mm) - .99 (25.2)
    Mechanical Q-Factor [Qms] - 9.65
    Electrical Q-Factor [Qes] - .473
    Total Q-Factor [Qts] - .451
    Force Factor [BL], Tm - 11.32
    Equivalent Volume [Vas], ft3 (L) - 2.27 (64.38)
    Moving Mass [Mms], oz (g) - 3.13 (88.8)
    Net Displacement, in3 (cc) - 60.0 (982.3)
    Outer Frame Diameter, in (cm) - 10 11/16 (27.1)
    Hole Cut-Out Diameter, in (cm) - 9 1/4 (23.5)
    Mounting Depth, in (cm) - 4 15/16 (12.5)
    Magnet Weight, oz (kg) - 33 (.936)
    Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

The box may meet different specifications than what you already have. Same thing goes for the amp.
    you may want to try out a different config wiring them up. The way you explained it is confusing, i.e. bridged and x2 are two seprate terms. Are either of them DVC or just single.
    "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
    "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
    [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

By sounding good I mean... Just as loud or louder, hitting harder, tighter, etc.

Comment

A good thing to ask now, is which C 10 did you get? The 2 or 4 ohm model?

Also don't you just love the Kicker documentation. On their web site they state the C10 comes in 2 or 4 ohm models and thier manual for the same speaker says it comes in a 4 or 8 ohm model.

Well which is it?

On reason I dislike Kicker subs, especially the low end ones.

Comment

The C10 requires a larger volume box, 1.0-2.4 cu. ft. where as the RF2410 only needs .75 cu.ft. What's the volume of your box?
          1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

I have the 4 Ohm model. Not sure the volume of my box. It's just the elcheapo truck box like this one:

Would this box be better for the new sub?

Comment

Originally posted by tbird2340
              By sounding good I mean... Just as loud or louder, hitting harder, tighter, etc.
              thanks for clarifying your idea of sounding good, because for some of us we would have sent you in the completely wrong direction....seeing as sounding good has nothing to do with being loud and hitting hard...lol

match the sub to the box and it will be a better option....compared to just going off of basic specs and shoving the subs off into a box that's not designed for them
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Quick STUPID question.. Am I sending TOO much power to this sub? Am I sending 500W RMS?? This is what the amp doc says:

Maximum Power Rating
                All Channels - 1000 W
                Continuous Power Rating (RMS) - Measured at 14.4 Battery Volts
                4Ω Load Per Channel - 62.5 Watts x 4
                2Ω Load Per Channel - 125 Watts x 4
                4Ω Load Bridged - 250 Watts x 2

And I have it hooked up like so:

Comment

4Ω Load Per Channel - 62.5 Watts x 4
                  2Ω Load Per Channel - 125 Watts x 4
                  looking at max power is like believing a used car salesman....

depending on how you have your sub set-up...I'd say you are underpowering it either way you look at it actually

14.4 volt ratings are a cheaters way of making an amp look more powerful than it actually is....i'd definately say you could use a more powerful amp....but it all depends on the sub that you have on it and the box as well
                  Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I understand that the 1000W MAXIMUM is crap but I'm talking RMS... How many RMS watts am I sending it the way I have it hooked up?

Thanks

Comment

I don't know, how do you have it installed?

that's a 4 channel amp and you're running it on only one sub?

is the sub a dual voice coil sub? what is the sub rated at as far as impedence? how do you have it wired up to the amp?

like I asked before....without that information you can't get very far

honnestly though, no matter how you have it hooked up, if your claim of 500w RMS is true, you're way underpowering that sub....IF what you say is fact
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

Why do you keep asking me how I have it wired?? I posted the diagram of how it's wired!

Yes, I'm only running the one sub on two of the channels (bridged) and I'm running my other 4 door speakers on the other two channels.

The tech from Kicker said I'm WAY OVERPOWERING the sub. He said I'm sending 500W RMS to a speaker wanting 150 W RMS. The sub is not a dual coil. It is rated 4 ohm.

Comment

That means your sending 250 watts to the sub, 250 watts to the speakers.

And the sub is rated at 150 watts. Use the first sub in that case.

Edit: Btw you said your sending 500 watts to the sub. This is what I dont understand. If its wired the way the picture is it should be giving it 250 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinlekiller
                            Edit: Btw you said your sending 500 watts to the sub. This is what I dont understand. If its wired the way the picture is it should be giving it 250 watts.

Yea, that is what the Kicker tech said. That's why I was asking to confirm how much I'm actually sending.

Comment

no he asked IF he was sending 500watts RMS...which is a no

sorry - I didn't throughly look at the document....it looked like two different wiring schemes while I quickly scrolled through it...something like you see an awful lot in owners manuals

250 x 2 it is

if you are basing your question off of the current sub then yes - you have enough power...

somewhere i got that the sub NEEDED 500 watts....now that I reread throught eh post again, I'm not quite sure where that came from....
                              Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                              X