CarPC and stock speakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CarPC and stock speakers

This question is different because my car, a 99 camaro has what seem to be tiny subwoofers (4 inch) in the back seat (2 speakers in front, 2 sub things in middle, 2 in hatch) I was wondering how I would go about powering these if i did a carpc install. They really make the stock speakers sound good and dont want to give them up. Any ideas would be appreciated. thanks!

They powered by amp or the head unit?
    GE Cache Builder | me@cardomain |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

I am guessing the headunit, It is a stock GM "Monsoon" sound system. I do not think there is an amp anywhere in the system.

Comment

if your head unit has an aux in or cd changer input you can hook your pc audio output up throught one of those, in my sisters car she wanted to keep her headunit and stock speakers, so i hooked her in with the cd changer input. good luck with your project.

Comment

if it's the monsoon system then you have an amp somewhere in the vehicle, all be it a crappy small amp, it's still there none-the-less

you can do what STE proposed, but I would really recomend bosting your line level voltage in between the computer and the head unit...otherwise you will have a lot of noise in your music....
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I was thinking of getting a wiring harness as if i was putting in a new head unit. Then wiring all my speakers to a very small amp as to not blow up my stock equipment (i am not an audiophile, i am very happy with my stock stuff) Then hook my car pc to my amp and voila! Does that sound like it might work?

Comment

Originally posted by CRJT
              I was thinking of getting a wiring harness as if i was putting in a new head unit. Then wiring all my speakers to a very small amp as to not blow up my stock equipment (i am not an audiophile, i am very happy with my stock stuff) Then hook my car pc to my amp and voila! Does that sound like it might work?
              One problem you might run into is that most HU's put out around 5v. Most line-out jacks only give around 2.2v rms. When I ditched my headunit, and used my Sirius Starmate to drive my amp, the volume sucked. At full blast, it was only 1/3 of what the HU was. So I got PAC Turbo 1 line converter for pretty cheap. It has a gain of up to 18db.

Now as to how well it works, that's another story. Haven't installed it yet.

You'll also probably have to figure out who to turn the amp on. On my car, I had to give about .5ma to the remote turn-on wire. (Just soldered a resistor to the wire it and hooked it up to ACC)

YMMV
              GE Cache Builder | me@cardomain |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

I am running my set up without a head unit, and as shotgunefx states the line out sucks i used a Phoenix gold pld 1 to up my signal to 8v then this goes to a single amp for centre stage and a five channel amp for componants and sub. I just wired my remote turn on to the acc, sounds great. Only 2 problems i have are i get a thump through the sub when the sound card gets powered up, looking to fit a relay to delay amp turn on to over come this. Also volume control is only via touchscreen, can be a pain now and then other than this i am v happy with it hth

Comment

Wouldnt there be some amp that would take care of the fact that line out if a weak signal? I thought thats what an amp did!

Comment

yes they are called pre amps the Phoenix gold pld 1 is one i have PAC Turbo 1 shotgunefx mentioned is another, there are a few about that may meet your needs. but do try without one first the output maybe suitable for your needs as is. thats what I'd do if you need one it's not so hard to put one in, just make sure you mount it as close to your PC as possible.

Comment

Im gonna be running a soundblaster 5.1 live (its an extra card i have laying around) Could I maybe up the voltage out of that somehow? Seems like these above average sound cards should be able to do it

Comment

Im gonna be running a soundblaster 5.1 live (its an extra card i have laying around) Could I maybe up the voltage out of that somehow? Seems like these above average sound cards should be able to do it
                        Try it. It won't be as loud, but that might be fine for your tastes.

Comment

i'd go for i think you will be o.k with that sound card

Comment

how are you going to go about upping the voltage on that sound card?
                            Jan Bennett
                            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

The front tweets are 4 ohms, powered by the HU and there's a bass blocker in the door. The midrange are 2 ohm, and subs are DVC 2 ohm. There's an 8-channel amp just forward of your spare tire. It's all speaker level. Non line level. The CD changer connecter is on the cable close to the driver side rear speaker.

Comment

Working...
                              X