Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Power Cables 2001 Jetta GLS

Hello all,
    I've been searching the net for this info but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know a good way to run power wire(s) from the engine to the trunk of a 2001 Jetta GLS? I plan on using an auxillary battery in the trunk for my car PC and amp (for sub). I would like to use 0,1, or 2 guage wire or two 4 guage wires (because I have two 4 guage wires). The only location I have read up on that seems good only looks big enough for an 8 guage.

Thanks!
    MP3Car Forums || FrodoPlayer || Ogg Vorbis || PN User Feedback || Heatware

i ran 4 guage down the middle of the car. it comes through a grommet behind the glovebox and then goes all the way along next to the passenger seat and then under the back seats

tip: if you are gonna take any seats out make sure you disconnect the battery negative before disconnecting the air bag connector under the seat

any good for you?
    My install... check it out!

www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56599

Comment

My car (1995 Concorde) had channels along the side of the car under the doors. Basically, it's just a space covered by platic coverings to run the wires. Not sure if your car has these but it probably does.

Comment

yeah thegolf/bora(jetta) does but i wouldn't like to run a 4 guage down there. it was a littel bit tight in places
        My install... check it out!

www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56599

Comment

Originally posted by The unL33T
          Hello all,
          I've been searching the net for this info but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know a good way to run power wire(s) from the engine to the trunk of a 2001 Jetta GLS? I plan on using an auxillary battery in the trunk for my car PC and amp (for sub). I would like to use 0,1, or 2 guage wire or two 4 guage wires (because I have two 4 guage wires). The only location I have read up on that seems good only looks big enough for an 8 guage.

Thanks!

check my web page for install pics..I should have some pics of how I ran my 2 1/0 power and ground wires

=]
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Telos
            My car (1995 Concorde) had channels along the side of the car under the doors. Basically, it's just a space covered by platic coverings to run the wires. Not sure if your car has these but it probably does.
            try to stay away from running wires under the car if at all possible
            Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

You may want to look at this thread.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1835153

Comment

that's ok and all, but it's a mighty small wire....and I'm not really diggin the run from the battery to the grommet....but that can be rerouted for sure!

there's a much better place to run those wires where it doesn't look all ghetto like that guys wire run did...no protection around the power wire as it crosses throught he steel of the cowl? that's just plan wrong!
                Jan Bennett

Comment

The pictures at the bottom of the VWVortex thread show the wires being run through the hole for the throttle cable. This is the way I did it, and what I would recommend, assuming you have a drive by wire car of couse.

Comment

agreed, it's better, but still VERY small, fine for a 4 guage maybe?
                    Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by archimense
                      The pictures at the bottom of the VWVortex thread show the wires being run through the hole for the throttle cable. This is the way I did it, and what I would recommend, assuming you have a drive by wire car of couse.
                      I do not have drive by wire or I would go with that one, is that the same one you went with GreenBeast? Red GTi, I see you drilled your own holes. I wanted to avoid that cuz I'm afraid of rust. It looks like it was a LOT of work to get those wires through the car. Lots of pulling stuff out. I don't have the time, patience, or skills to do as good a job as you

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I'll definitely consider all the options. And I will try to avoid running the wires under the car but that really is looking like the easiest option. If I do do that though (which I probably won't), I will make sure the wires are well protected.

Comment

if you want to do it right it's not something that you can do in just a few minutes

as for the rust issue I'd ask myself two questions

are you going to keep the car long enough to where it matters?

have you thought about buying some touch up paint and sealing it back off or using some silicone around the holes?
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

I will probably have the car long enough that the rust matters. I suppose you're right that if you're gonna do it right it's going to take some time. I expected it to. I just didn't want to have to tear the whole car apart to get some power to the trunk :P. Silicone and touchup paint is definitely what I would do and it would be good. Thanks again man.

Comment

man?

hehe
                            Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                              man?

hehe
                              lol sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X