More help on digital

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More help on digital

Okai, i finally understand this digital spdif, but theres some final things i need to know.

I can get an adapter for my comp that gives me an SPDIF optical connection.

Q1. Now with this connection, can i plug it into any processor through the toslink (eg an Alpine processor)

Q2. With a digital processor can i only control the volume through the processor? so i have to have it up front where its in reach right?

My comp is in the boot, so ill have to run a optical cable from the boot to the processor up front, then RCAS back to the amps in the boot.

The processor will give me a 4 volt output so that solves the problem of the soundcard only putting out <2V.

How does all that sound to someone who knoes what their talking about? thanks.

Correct if you do a toslink out from your computer into say a PXA H700/H701 processor all of the volume will have to be controlled via the control panel (included with the H700, purchased seperately on the H701) along with using it to tune and control the various other features built into the unit (time alignment, eq, etc)

The Alpine pieces mentioned above are in my opinion the easiest and cheapest ways to control everything assuming you have a digital input. Are there are better 12V DAC's out there? You Betcha! But few have the volume control built in which negates a completly seperate piece of gear once the signal is coverted to analog for volume control. From a cost standpoint those pieces can't be beat. There's also some pro-audio pieces that can be converted to 12V use which would fit the bill but for ease of installation something in the H700/701 would do nicely.

In terms of your setup are you saying your deck has a toslink aux in? or that you have for example an H700 and it's up front? In the alpine setup i'd run toslink & ainet cable to the trunk where the H700 is. Plug the computer into the H700 and then volume is controled via the H700 controller installed in your dash.

It seems kinda silly to be to have that big long digital run with a big long analog RCA run ya know? But I do get where you're coming from in trying to make things worse by using the analong outputs on the soundcard so your way even with the long RCA leads is better than nothing!

Comment

no, no deck.
      I have no headunt what so ever.
      My system consist of a computer in the boot, which is hooked up to a xenarc thats been molded into the double din slot.

Whats the difference between a toslink and the ainet cable.

Do i need an alpine headunit to use one of those processors?

Comment

you might just find somwehere to put the processor in the back of the car....

the cable that connects the display to the processor is long enough to go just about anywhere. this way you only have to purchase a short optic cable (mine is 1.5m) and short RCAs....the shorter the better IMO

you don't HAVE to have a head unit to control the processor but likeschreibers said, you have to have the display

on the H700 the display came as part of the package

on the H701 it's seperate

they made it a seperate piece because some of the HIGH end alpine units have the ability to control the processor, but since you aren't using a head unit in your set-up you would need to make sure you got hte display

the 4v leads from the alpine unit will not ALWAYS be 4v, as was discussed in a thread earlier...but you will have a higher sound floor at any point than you would if you just went with the 2v out sound card....just want to make sure that's clear
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Yup, i understand all bout the voltages.
          The wires will be very short, it will go from comp thats in the boot, down the optical cable to the processor which will sit next to it and then from the processor to the amps via rcas, and they will be right next to each other aswell. So all cabling is short as possible. And the screen will run to the front.
          Okai, now the only problem i see with this is, the screen that controls the processor will have to go up front or else i wont have any volume control, but i have no were to put it. As both din slots are taken up by the screen.
          It would have to sit lose somewhere.
          (this is the only problem i see)

The other option is to just buy an m-audio card and a line driver. There wont be any interference because the cables will be very very short. And this way i can still control the volume through my touchscreen and dont have to worry about mounting the processors screen.

Comment

the m-audio card is an option

I didn't have anywhere to put my display in my car so I made aplace for it. It's really easy to do, if you are willing and have the ability to do some more custom fabrication up front...

the m-audio card will probably be the cheaper route though...by a few $100
            Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

A new MAudio Audiophile 24/192 will cost 280. Then i will buy a linedriver so thats even more money ontop.

If i go digital i can buy a second hand alpine unit, it will cost me like 200-300 bucks.
              So cash wise im not going to be looking at much of a difference.
              Plus i would rather a processor thats been designed for car audio then a computer sound card.
              And i decided ill "MAKE" room in the dash somewhere, more custom work, but more fun =)

So ill be going digital boys =) now i just have to find a decent processor. Anyone got some suggestions of ones i should be looking at?

Comment

my vote is for the PXA-H701 / RUX-C701 from Alpine, but I'm not sure you'll find one of those second hand for 2-300....
                Jan Bennett

Comment

What do you reccomenend for something in the 2-300 price range second hand?
                  Also can you explain the difference between the ERA and PXA alpine range? thanks again

Comment

the ERA were just eq only, no crossover functions...just basic functions....not 1/3 octive/ 171 band like the PXA

so they will be much cheaper...and a lot older technology...like 5-6 years older....and we know how much of a difference 5-6 years can make in the electronics world
                    Jan Bennett

Comment

oufff... 5 years it to old thats for sure.
                      Apart from alpine and that audiobahn one, what are some other brands that have decent quality processors with digital in?

Ive been reading about the latest alpine one and it seems over kill for me, all i want is something that does good DAC and a basic EQ.

Can someone name a few brands/models with quality basic functions that take digital signals. Thanks.

Ps. whats peoples opinions on the PXA-H510 (and how old is this?)

Comment

Finding a PXA-700 might be a little tough for 200-300 bucks seen them go on the various car forums from 400-600 but for what you get and the fact it includes the controller it's not a bad deal at all.

Like I said there are stand alone DAC/EQ's with a digital in/out (concept 97.2 eq pop up every so often for a steal, there are other dac like the apogee mini dac but that's above your price range) but then volume control becomes an issue once the signal is in the digital realm/converted to analog.

For car computer use look at Red GTI's setup with the H700 that's your easiest plug and play situation if you want to go optical

Comment

you might look into audiocontrol...or orion??

I'll see if I have a chance to poke around online today and see if there is anything else out there....
                          Jan Bennett

Comment

I'm looking for something like this as well. A single (RCA) SPDIF in, a simple EQ, and front/rear/sub RCA outputs, hopefully 4+ volts, all in a small package. I haven't found anything. I'd even settle for an EQ-less SPDIF to multiple RCA converter, but then I don't think I could adjust with the Winamp EQ, so I've gotta have at least 5 band.

Right now I have the gains all the way up on my amps. Onboard audio isn't cutting it, but the onboard RCA/SPDIF out should be fine.
                            In progress: M10000; Travla c134; Xenarc 700TSV; Hitachi 80GB 2.5"; 256MB ULP; M2-ATX; ITPS; Powermate; iKEY SL-88 KB; Holux GM-210; Audiobahn ADD51T w/ COAX/optical converter; Road Runner; iGuidance 2.1

Comment

gains all the way up?

looks like you are in serious need of some assistance there...or at least your system is....there is never any reason to run gains all the way
                              Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                              X