Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine whine RANT

I just have to rant.

I put together my carputer using a POS Pyramid amp (see pic in link in sig) that I got on ebay for $20 just so it would make noise. The guy that installed the wiring for me said it was a crap amp so he put in a ground loop isolator to help with alternator whine. Which didn't do **** because whenever the computer wasn't on, I got TERRIBLE whine. When the carputer was on, it was alright.

Then I upgraded the audio by adding a pair of 12" fosgate subs with an audiopipe amp. Then the whine got really bad. I showed it to an audiophile buddy of mine and he said it was probably caused by a combination of the crappy amp and the fact that I was using a 'secondary' ground location and the paint hadn't been sanded away.

So I saved up and got a JL Audio 300/4 slash series amp, and I moved the ground location to a 'primary' site and grinded the paint away. All excited about the new amp I run and start the car... and the cursed whine is STILL THERE.

So now I'm racking my brain. WTF is going on. I tried unplugging the RCA from the amp, whine went away. So that made me realize it was coming from somewhere 'upstream' of the amp, which caught me by surprise. The only thing between the source (carputer) and the amp was that ground loop isolator. So I removed it.

Whine gone.

I THOUGHT GROUND LOOP ISOLATORS REMOVE ALTERNATOR WHINE, NOT INTRODUCE IT. And the damn thing doesn't even havea connection to the electrical system, it's just RCA in from carputer, RCA out to amp. I dont even see how it could introduce alternator whine.

It was an Audiopipe NR-16 Ground Loop Isolator.

Now its guts are scattered around my room and its plastic case is melted in the back yard. Cursed device.

</rant>
    A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag.

My Ride
    My New Page

haha
    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

haha, awesome story of anger and yet sweet satisfaction.. i too am having alternator whine, but i don't have a ground loop isolator installed ... i have one sitting around so i may give it a shot tomrorow. :/
      replicant
      Audi A4 (flickr pics)

Comment

Hey at least now you ended up with some nice audio equipments and no more engine whine!
        Honda Lagreat Carputer Project. Mobile Entertainment
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33936

Full Spec for mods check out:
        http://www.hondashowoff.com/profile.php?id=3766

Comment

RCA cables are sensitive to electromagnetic interference. Fact is, never place other cables (especially power cables or even ground cables or equipment) anywhere near RCAs. If need be, re-route your RCAs or power/ground cords so that they never meet or intersect.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin
            RCA cables are sensitive to electromagnetic interference. Fact is, never place other cables (especially power cables or even ground cables or equipment) anywhere near RCAs. If need be, re-route your RCAs or power/ground cords so that they never meet or intersect.
            Did you even read what I said?

I didn't move any wires. Everything is exactly where it used to be, except of course for the ground loop isolator, which is in little pieces scattered everywhere.
            A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag.

My Ride
            My New Page

Comment

Sorry, my bad. I meant that post as a general opinion.

Comment

Working...
              X