Amp Temperature (6-channel)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Temperature (6-channel)

I've got a JL Audio e6450 6-channel amplifier in my car which I just recently installed.

I cannot say enough positive things about the sound quality. CarSound.com listed the S/N ratio at 118 dB / 104 dBA and, having heard it ... I believe it!
    review: http://carsound.com/articles/publish/article_268.shtml

My problem is that it gets hot ... really hot. In a couple hours of driving with the exterior temp at 80-90 degrees, the amp heats up so that I cannot touch it for more than a few seconds without pain.

The amp is mounted near vertically on a rear seat back in my trunk. It has no obstructions in front of it at all.

It does have thermal protection circuitry, which has not kicked in.

So what say you all? How warm do your amplifiers get? What do you do (if anything) to cool them?Thanks so much!

Looks like a nice amp! JL makes some great gear

Extra fans. some fans

Do you have a Sub hooked up to it? What kinda speakers ya got?

Mine gets a little warm but not hot. Running a mono block class D Amp for the sub, A/B for the front and rears.
    2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
    2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
    Sound Stage
    Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

if that amp doesn't shut down don't worry about it really..... horisontal is the best way to mount an amp so it doesn't radiate heat up into itself... but vertical is not too horrible...
      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

It doesn't have a lot of heatsink..so that's probably why it's getting hot. Do you have it running subs? If so, then that'd definitely be reason..

I'm guessing they use the casing as part of the heat dissapation, so in that case, it might be good that it's getting hot... If it hasn't started 'acting up' by shutting down or sounding bad..then I wouldn't worry about it.. If you get too concerned, call up JL and see what they say..

Comment

Originally posted by -zip-
          Looks like a nice amp! JL makes some great gear

Extra fans. some fans

Do you have a Sub hooked up to it? What kinda speakers ya got?

Mine gets a little warm but not hot. Running a mono block class D Amp for the sub, A/B for the front and rears.
          Thanks! Yeah, it is an attractive aluminum heatsink they've got it packaged in. Build quality looks pretty high too. It's a class A/B amp, btw.

I'm using 4 of Alpine's type-s speakers at the moment, and I'm in the process of adding these 2 type-x speakers in right now.

No subs right now. My rear speakers have a 6.5" woofer, so that provides decent enough mid-bass for my tastes. (I'm not really interested in rear-view mirror shaking bass.) Besides, with all the power I'm using on other things I doubt my alternator could take it!

Comment

So it sounds like the typical amp gets "warm" but not "hot" to the touch?

I think I'll call JL and see what's up. Unfortunately I installed it myself, and that apparently pretty much kills your warranty from 2 yrs to 90 days.

Comment

Good idea to make sure it's nothing and just runs a little toasty. It's under warranty so its a great time to inquire.
              2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
              2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
              Sound Stage
              Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

of course, having one amp run yure whole system is gonna put a lot of stress on it. stress =heat. if yu are runnin a sub...and can afford it...use a dedicated amp just for yure sub.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy39
                  of course, having one amp run yure whole system is gonna put a lot of stress on it. stress =heat. if yu are runnin a sub...and can afford it...use a dedicated amp just for yure sub.
                  yeh, unless it's a six channel amp thats DESIGNED to run a whole system

seriously though.... jl has protection circuits built into this amp.... it's simple really.... if the amp doesn't kick into protection then it is not to hot..... yes it is hot... but it's not too hot...... now if she shut down after being pushed hard then you would have real cause for concern..... if it just bothers you that it's hot then you could try fans or try to orient it vertical so the heat radiates straight up off of the heat sink.... that's actually the way an amp like this is designed to be mounted..... anything other than that is a compramise, sure it's done all the time but it doles increase the heat...

Comment

nice amp... I am actually thinking of running one of those myself.. but make sure you do something about the heat situation quickly. I burned up JL amps before thinking the same thing... the "thermal" light goes on but then its too late. the amp is already broken. I have even heard some VERY weird noises from JL amps going into thermal. I'm sure the protection does something... maybe preventing some sorts of catastrophic failure (e.g. stuff thats more expensive for them to replace under warranty claims) or catching on fire... but don't rely on it to save your amp!

I learned my lesson... proper airflow is the most important. that means both where its mounted and what measures you have taken for cooling. now keep in mind that an amp is going to get hot regardless... but peoples definitions of "hot" are different. it could be that yours is well within operating range.. that said why take the chance with a nice piece of equipment? I like to use computer fans because they have gone through huge developments as overclocking became popular and pretty cheap for good quality ones. also, there are noise & airflow (CFM) measurements for almost every fan out there. go with a 90 or 120 mm fan if possible, they tend to flow alot more air and quieter. if you need to later you can put a resistor (or fan controller) to slow down the fan so its practically completely silent yet still provides good airflow.

Comment

Originally posted by stapan
                      nice amp... I am actually thinking of running one of those myself.. but make sure you do something about the heat situation quickly. I burned up JL amps before thinking the same thing... the "thermal" light goes on but then its too late. the amp is already broken. I have even heard some VERY weird noises from JL amps going into thermal. I'm sure the protection does something... maybe preventing some sorts of catastrophic failure (e.g. stuff thats more expensive for them to replace under warranty claims) or catching on fire... but don't rely on it to save your amp!

I learned my lesson... proper airflow is the most important. that means both where its mounted and what measures you have taken for cooling. now keep in mind that an amp is going to get hot regardless... but peoples definitions of "hot" are different. it could be that yours is well within operating range.. that said why take the chance with a nice piece of equipment? I like to use computer fans because they have gone through huge developments as overclocking became popular and pretty cheap for good quality ones. also, there are noise & airflow (CFM) measurements for almost every fan out there. go with a 90 or 120 mm fan if possible, they tend to flow alot more air and quieter. if you need to later you can put a resistor (or fan controller) to slow down the fan so its practically completely silent yet still provides good airflow.
                      Thanks for the advice. I think I'll setup 2 120mm fans to blow air over it. I've got 4 Vantec Stealth 120mm fans in my custom case, so I'm familiar with them. Almost inaudible and 54 CFM!

The only problem is really a lack of a good source of cool air in the trunk. I was thinking of rigging up some fans in my rear deck to exhaust hot air into the body of the car where the A/C could handle it.

Anybody doing anything like that?

Comment

A follow-up to stapan and others who might be interested...

I called JL and their response was along the lines of "Yeah, that sounds normal. The amp does get on the hot side."

Their suggestions were to follow an input sensitivity calibration procedure that the manual talks about (which should optimize the power required by the amplifier), and to run a fan to move air along it's length.

The aluminum body of the amp acts as it's only heatsink, and as it doesn't have extruded aluminum fins like some amps, the heat is more concentrated.

Not, apparently, a problem though. The guy was very sure that the thermal protection system would stop it before damage occured.

Comment

Originally posted by auto_robotics
                          A follow-up to stapan and others who might be interested...

I called JL and their response was along the lines of "Yeah, that sounds normal. The amp does get on the hot side."

Their suggestions were to follow an input sensitivity calibration procedure that the manual talks about (which should optimize the power required by the amplifier), and to run a fan to move air along it's length.

The aluminum body of the amp acts as it's only heatsink, and as it doesn't have extruded aluminum fins like some amps, the heat is more concentrated.

Not, apparently, a problem though. The guy was very sure that the thermal protection system would stop it before damage occured.

See, I told you

Comment

The guy was very sure that the thermal protection system would stop it before damage occured.
                            thats what they told me before I fried mine or I would have taken more measures.

ask him to send it in writing and that they will warranty the amp for any thermal related failure past the warranty period...

then their answer changes

Comment

In our experience is that the E series JL amps are known for temprature problems. And because of this they have a relativey short life span.

Comment

Working...
                              X