Protecting subwoofers in the trunk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting subwoofers in the trunk

How do you go about protecting a pair of subs in your trunk? Can you buy grills or guards for them? I'm just afraid that i'll throw some stuff in the trunk and it'll puncture one of my subs.

thanks

Audiobahn and kicker both make subwoofer grills. They are more decorative but will provide some protection. Two of my friends had the same thoughts and one bought a grill off of ebay and the other just reverse mounted his subs(alittle more protected, but not much).

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...lls&category0=

Comment

thanks, i looked around a little bit and found these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-inch-CAR-SUBW...QQcmdZViewItem

how much protection do you think they offer?

on the other hand, how durable are the exterior of an unprotected sub?

Comment

Another question, how easy is it to mount one of these subwoofer covers? Are they universal?
        A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag.

My Ride
        My New Page

Comment

Originally posted by maxxell
          Another question, how easy is it to mount one of these subwoofer covers? Are they universal?
          Drill 4 holes according to the template, mount. They are universal in the sense that when you buy a 12" grill, they will fit most 12" grills.
          2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
          7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
          80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Pretty Much. All you need to do is screw the cover onto the enclosure. A sub is fairly strong. But if they are hit with a sharp object the conoe can be pirced. A reverse mounted sub is not as vonerable. But the subwoofer grill will add to the protection of the sub emencly. And if the subwoofer is playing and an object is leaning up against the sub the grill will prevent the sub from being hit or damaged.

Comment

so you're saying that subs are more vulnerable when they're playing music?

will you get worse performance with a reversly-mounted sub?

Comment

If you have some pricey subs in the trunk YOU WILL NOT be just tossing stuff in there. And if you are the type to just toss stuff in the trunk then subs have no business being in your trunk.

Comment

Something simple like that works well. Its 8mm stainless steel rods which I bent up to suit.
                  2004 Ford Falcon XR6

Comment

nice job bob
                    "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
                    "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
                    [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

Do not forget to handle the Phase change 180 deg. after reverse mounted the sub.
                      Just reminding. Sorry if somebody already mention it before.

Comment

What about the cone hitting the grill when you are pounding out the bass?
                        2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                        2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                        Sound Stage
                        Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

This is almost like bob^s grill but pre made for cheap Link . Had one of these on my old Brahma (28mm one way xmax) with 1100wrms and the cone never hit the grill.
                          Pioneer DEH7600MP, Autotek MX-800.4, JL Audio XR650-CSi, Adire Audio Shiva

Done with CarPCs, using a iPaq 3765 PDA w/ Holux GM210 and TomTom

Comment

Mine might hit the grille cloth thats covering the sub, but it goes no where near the bars. That isn't a problem as the cloth is very very stretchy.
                            2004 Ford Falcon XR6

Comment

Working...
                            X