Using lamp cord as speaker wire?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using lamp cord as speaker wire?

I was looking around for some cheap yet reliable options for speaker wire and thought about the stuff that connects your lamp to the wall- It's think and insulated and cheap...

how good is this stuff? would you reccomend it?

Good speaker wire is the oxygen free stuff. If you are looking for cheap, buy speaker wire in the auto department of Wal Mart.
    It is fine braded (lamp cord is coarse braded), and will sound good.
    2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 600
    AMD Athalon 900mhz / ATI Radeon 8500 video / TV/FM card
    7" touch-screen LCD / GPS / DVD Player / Frodoplayer

Comment

how much should i expect to pay for that?

Comment

you mean this stuff?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2181629

Comment

Originally posted by T & T
          Good speaker wire is the oxygen free stuff. .

I can hear the difference between mp3, cd and vinyl, I cant tell oxygen free wire over standard wire.

UHF satellite feeds costing mega bucks use standard copper.

No audio system uses oxy free on the inside, no PCB copper plate is oxy free, as far as audio is concerned oxy free is best for audio (companies profits)

Cables made of a single thick strand dont sound the same as cables made of lots of little strands. But I dont know why, and I cant really hear it.
          Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

So are you saying that lamp cord is a good choice or a bad one? how about using the cables that are already in my car?

Comment

Go to a Car store and buy speaker wire. I am using Oxy free 12awg wire to feed my subs. I figure, since I spent X amount of money on them, I'm not going to feed them ****. Go buy descent wire, and no dont use lamp wire.
              Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
              Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
              Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
              CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
              NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

ok thanks for that info.

Comment

Originally posted by lez
                  No audio system uses oxy free on the inside, no PCB copper plate is oxy free, as far as audio is concerned oxy free is best for audio (companies profits)
                  I think you missed my point. I was refering to the cheap stuff you buy at WAL MART!!!! The stuff that psykopyro posted will work, but that isn't exactly what I was refering to. A 50' spool of 16ga was under $10.
                  2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 600
                  AMD Athalon 900mhz / ATI Radeon 8500 video / TV/FM card
                  7" touch-screen LCD / GPS / DVD Player / Frodoplayer

Comment

YMMV. Try it out on your home stereo first. If you can't hear the difference, why pay the premium?
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

This has long been disputed in the AV home theater forums, but most of the "nice" wire is just snake oil. Many people use cheap home depot lamp wire and people have also used Cat5 cable.

Comment

exactly. i looked at monster's website and they have a list of stuff they put on their cables that is a page long, most of it stuff like - enhanced THX certified rubber-titanium-alloy high-performance grip for added comfort.

whatever

Comment

I think the most important things for in-car use are:

gauge: use cables that are big enough

insulation/physical strength: be sure you don't get shorts by accidentally stripped cable (sharp edges) or wear (vibrations).

Just my personal opinion of course
                          List of front-ends/usefull apps
                          XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

So the best *cheap* option would be to get lamp cord and sleeve it in metal sleeving

Comment

>Geek Alert<

Just use speaker wire with lots of fine strands, the reason this is better is because AC current travels on the outside of the wire. More, thinner wires = more surface area = more room for electrons...

(Can't remember any more detail, somebody much cleverer than me told me that once and my eyes glazed over after a while....)
                              ....Yes, I know it has a stupid name, those crazy Japanese!

Comment

Working...
                              X