Wiring 2 AMPS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring 2 AMPS?

I had a simple question about wiring the carputer to my current system setup...I currently have two amps (one for subs, one for speakers). I wanted to know what is the best way to get sound from the sound card to my amps....

Should i use the regular stereo output from my soundcard?

Do i need some sort of a cable splitter to run the sound to both amps?

Will the PC give me the same power and sound quality as a 200W HU?

...THANKS...
    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
    - Alpine W200/H701
    - ED Nine.2X
    - OZ Matrix Elites
    - ED Nine.1
    - Idmax 12's

as for the sound quality question - there is no way in this world that you will EVER have a head unit that puts out 200watts.....don't fall into the BS marketing hype that's plastered on the front of the radio.....if the radio is stating that, chances are it's a crappy radio

second, on the two amp question, you need something like an EQ, processor, crossover, etc. to split the sound.

that's pretty much the only way that I'm aware of to get that type of job done...not to mention it's going to usually boost your voltage level thus raising your sound floor to an at least respectable level...just for starters
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

It really depends on the soundcard your using. For instance I am using an audigy 2 pci in my carputer (always go usb when possible it simplified mounting) and it is obviously 6.1 (left, center, right, surround r, surround left, surround back and the .1 refers to the sub). However my setup is a 4.2 setup, so I run it in 5.1, and use stereo mini to stereo rca adapters.

Typically a surround sound sound card will have 3 stereo analog outputs, each output containing 2 channels of audio, so when you split it youll get one channel with the left and right channels, one with the stereo surround channels, and one with the center and sub (LFE) channel. Now youll obviously wire the l/r and sr/sl outputs right into your component amp, then with the last center/sub output youll figure out which rca is for the sub via a speaker noise test and which is for the center channel, then you simply y-adapt the sub channel a total of 3 times. Itll look something like this:
      Mono amp input L
      Sub <
      Sub < Mono amp input R
      | Mono amp input L
      L Sub <
      Mono amp input R
      Center -- (not used unless you do have a speaker in the center of your dash)

Now as mentioned before, each time you y-adapt any electrical signal, you are wiring it in series, which halves impedence, or doubles output, so gain accordingly on your amp. However typically this is not a problem as many people buy subs specifically for output anyway.

Now as far as sound quality and output, the wattage you will provide your speakers with depends on your speaker amp, the whole point of an amp is to turn a line level signal (computer, ipod, cd, ect) into a high-level signal that is capable of driving speakers. Sound quality from a computer is unsurpassed by any headunit i have encountered thus far, the reason for this is because if you get the right sound card you have the option of adjusting crossovers to send the right frequencies to your components and the rest to the bass, this allows for excellent sound seperation without the need for a processor or external crossover. In other words it makes sure Mariah Carey comes only from your tweeters, and that gangsta rap doesnt make it anywhere but your subs.

Comment

Red,

What does it mean to raise the sound floor?

I mean, i've got an audigy 2 in my carPC, without raising the voltage of my output, does upping the input sensitivity on the amp a lot result in less sound quality?

Also, 3onDubs, does one of your amps have pre-outs? Could always run a 3.5mm -> RCA into one amp and another RCA cable from that amp into the 2nd one?

Cheers, Shotty.

Comment

raising the sound floor effectively means raising the voltage.

the higher thte voltage level the less likely youa re yto have induced noise....in laymens terms to say the least

in general, the higher you have the gains ont he amp the less the SQ, but there are so many variables that go into that that I almost hesitate to make such a blanket statement like that

you use the gains to match, but if you're having to peg the gains, there's something else that needs to be taken care of
          Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by kdunn926
            In other words it makes sure Mariah Carey comes only from your tweeters, and that gangsta rap doesnt make it anywhere but your subs.
            not true!

gangsta rap only come from subs and 6 tweeters....no mids what-so-ever and more tweets are betta YO!
            Jan Bennett

Comment

--Thanks a lot Red, kdunn, and Shotty, I'm not sure if my amps have preouts though cuz I cant get to them until I take out my rear seat (audio guys had fun with my car)...but I know I'm running the newer 5 channel kenwood excellon amp to my speakers (only using 4 channels) and the previous model 2 channel kenwood excellon 1600D amp to my subs (the one with the color changing fiber optic thing on the front)...

...this is starting to sound more complicated than I thought...I really don't care about surround sound, so much as I get the same sound quality that I'm getting right now...I'm going to be swapping out my dvd player and flip up xplod screen (which I paid so much for)...

...One last question: My car battery is in the trunk...so Install should be pretty easy, but do you guys have a power cable going to your monitor, or does it feed off the carputer's power supply...if so, how do you get it to do that?
              PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
              - Alpine W200/H701
              - ED Nine.2X
              - OZ Matrix Elites
              - ED Nine.1
              - Idmax 12's

Comment

Working...
              X