2 Channel amp no headunit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Channel amp no headunit

Hi, Can I hook up a 2 channel amp with no headunit by combining the front left and right speakers, and the back left and right speakers and running them into the amp that way? I was given an old jensen 2 channel amp so I would like to use that. Also what is the rca part used for? I was going to just run wires from the headunit harness since its not being used anymore into the trunk for the amp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I did search but everyone seems to be using 4 channel amps.

yeah . you can.. just see what ohms the amp is rated, keep in mind if you run 2 speakers of 4ohms each in parallel the total ohms is now 2, this could b e bad for the amp. but if you run in series total ohms is 8 .. I'm not sure if that's bad... but I know you need to consider this.
    Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

Im totally clueless when it comes to car audio. How would I wire it differently for parallel vs series? And why is one better than the other?

Thanks

Comment

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html first entry in google "series vs parallel"

you owe me $20 now too :-)
        Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

Wholly crap thats alot of equations but least now I know the difference. The amp I have is the jensen a82. On the back it says, "12v negative ground . Use 2, 4 or 8 ohm speakers." It also says, " Do not connect right speaker negative to left speaker negative or to car body (ground). So I guess that throws out the idea of putting them in parallel right? If I put them in series will I be ok?

THanks again and if I had 20bux to give you I would just go buy a 4channel amp hehe im poor

Edit: I found out from ready on vwvortex that the stock speakers in my jetta are all 4ohm each. I also have tweeters will those pose a problem? The amp is a 40Wx2 stereo amplifier.

Comment

If I were you I would do this : Connect Front Left , Back Left speakers in parallel (2 ohm load) ; Front Right , Rear Right in parallel (2ohm load). You conserve the the stereo sound this way , and if you put them in series you have lots less power going into the speakers( 4 times the resistance ).

Comment

By doing so I would only be able to change the balance left to right not the fade from front to back, am I right? I want to hook them up to control the fade from front to back. forgive my newbiness.

Comment

But that way you would have mono sound. If you prefer fade than go that way

Comment

I dont want mono sound that would suck. I thought if it was done that way I could have the sound set in the middle in windows ie not all the way to the left or not all the way to the right, thus I would have sound coming out of both the left and right speakers, front and back. I am probably just confused here.

Comment

Originally posted by skippy911
                    I dont want mono sound that would suck. I thought if it was done that way I could have the sound set in the middle in windows ie not all the way to the left or not all the way to the right, thus I would have sound coming out of both the left and right speakers, front and back. I am probably just confused here.
                    If you conect both back speakers together , than they both get the same sound.

Same for front.

If you plug it that way , its techicly stereo, because 2 different sounds. But its mono because we create a stereo effect earing sounds from the side of our heads, not in back and front.

Comment

Ah ok guess Ill hook them up the way I described thanks to you both for your help

Comment

If you want fade + stereo , you need another amp , than you control using potentiometers , or if the pc is 4 channel control with pc. (or use 2 sound cards and a prog that can output to 2 soundcrards)

Comment

If I can find a super cheap 4 channel amp locally I will just use that else Ill stick with the 2 channel and my crappy onboard soundcard hehe. Having no money sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by skippy911
                            If I can find a super cheap 4 channel amp locally I will just use that else Ill stick with the 2 channel and my crappy onboard soundcard hehe. Having no money sucks.
                            Agreed on the no money part

Comment

Working...
                            X