Stock Radio won't kick on?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Radio won't kick on?

Hey all I'm looking for some advice. I've been trying to add AUX-INPUTS on my stock radio using a PIE adapter. The stock radio won't turn back on? Even wired up the way it came originally?

I've checked the power cable that goes into the radio and there is no power going through the cables. There is black,red,white,yellow and brown. I've tested the red/white/yellow with the igniton on ACC and in the ON position with no luck, there is no voltage going through the wires? . So I pulled out the manual and found all the fuses that lead to the radio and checked them, to find none are blown.

The vehicle is an 05' Tacoma. Any suggestions? I beleive my lighter and aux power outlet are on the same fuse and they work... I'm totally stumpled/frustrated. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

check the fuse box.
    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

I did this to my friends car the other day. I hooked up a sub to a stock radio, we couldn't figure out why it wouldn't turn on. (Beisdes he had a POS car), a fuse popped, check the fuses.
      Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
      Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
      Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
      CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
      NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

I've checked the fuses that run the radio and thier fine?? Any other suggestions?
        Via EPIA MII
        512MB RAM
        OEM GPS (embedded)
        nLite WinXP pro on
        1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Strange. I hooked an adapter to my Aux (suppose to be for cd changer) in my '02 highlander and didn't have any problems. I used it for about a year with XM Radio going through it. Recently removed the radio to install the carpc instead and all was working fine.

I assume you tested the power wire with a voltmeter to make sure you do have power? I also assume you disconnected the PIE adapter as well? Did it work at all with the PIE adapter?

Chuck

Comment

It's not working at all now, pie adapter on or pie adapter off... I think tommorow I'm going to check EVERY fuse... but I mean I checked the radio fuses (the ones the owners manual says are the radio fuses)
            Via EPIA MII
            512MB RAM
            OEM GPS (embedded)
            nLite WinXP pro on
            1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Could there be a fuse in line between the fuse box and the head unit maybe? Check for continuity between the fuse box and the head unit.

Comment

I'm going to give that a try, what if I dont get continunity? I mean I guess I'll have to DIG into my dash to look for another fuse?
                Via EPIA MII
                512MB RAM
                OEM GPS (embedded)
                nLite WinXP pro on
                1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

don't think about this, just check ALL the fuses in the fusebox.... I bet one of the others are blown, you'll see
                  MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

There are 3 different places for fuses on Toyota cars/trucks (Engine compartment, Driver side kick pannel, and Passenger side kick pannel.) The one for radio and most other stuff is under driver side kickpannel.
                    Unless the wiring has been modified, otherwise, there is NO in-line fuse for the radio.
                    Is there ANY other devices in the truck not working? Doom light, Cig lighter, aux power output, gauge/dash lights.
                    BTW, Toyota wiring color code is NOT the same as most after market wiring color code. There is NO solid color on the wiring harness.
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by IntellaWorks
                      I'm going to give that a try, what if I dont get continunity? I mean I guess I'll have to DIG into my dash to look for another fuse?
                      If you don't already have one, buy yourself a mini multimeter from Radio Shack:

It's about $25.00, and you can use it for several other things, checking home power outlets, etc.
                      Measure your power leads at the radio connector against the ground wire in the same connector. This will give you an idea if it is the radio, or the power going to the radio. You should have one wire with +12 volts DC constantly, (whether ignition is on or off) and another wire should have +12 volts only when the key is turned to the ACC position, or started. If there is power there, then the problem is with the radio. (possibly bad, or it may have a factory lockout code) If you see voltage there, check the closest fusebox in the interior (dash, kickpanel, etc.) check ALL the fuses, and check for +12 volts DC. Be sure to check BOTH sides of each fuse, because if one is out and you check the powered side, it will look good. Fuses can sometimes look good when they are not. If there is no voltage there, move to the fusebox under the hood. hope this helps you find your problem.
                      WORKLOG

Asus P5N73-AN Mobo/Celeron E1400 2Ghz Dual Core CPU/2Gb GEIL PC3200/120GB HDD/DSATX PS/8" Phylon TS
                      Webpage

Comment

I actually have that exact same voltmeter.

I've checked the fuses with no luck none are blown.. Also, the aux power is on the same fuse which works.... I've checked for splits (at least until the harness dissapears into the dash and there are no splits)

This is so frustrating !!!!
                        Via EPIA MII
                        512MB RAM
                        OEM GPS (embedded)
                        nLite WinXP pro on
                        1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Have you checked the continuity yet? That would be what I would check if all fuses are ok.. You could also try connecting a cable directly from your battery to the HU if you know
                          exactly where the 12V is supposed to go.. No fun if you connect it to the wrong pin.. :P

Comment

theres no reason to check for continuity if theres power at the fuse & not the head.... if it had continuity it'd have power.

you should have at least 2 power wires at the head, one is ign.... that probably goes through the "radio" fuse.... the other is battery power, usually this is interior light circuit or cig lighter circuit, but could be other as well.....

are you saying you have nothing... no ign or battery at the head?
                            MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Yea exactly, no IGN or Power at the harness or plug that plugs into the radio. Yet the fuse isn't blown. I've checked the owners manual for the proper location of the fuse and aparently the cig lighter and aux are on the same circuit and are working???
                              Via EPIA MII
                              512MB RAM
                              OEM GPS (embedded)
                              nLite WinXP pro on
                              1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Working...
                              X