Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIN mount mp3 players?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DIN mount mp3 players?

    Sorry if this is an FAQ, but I've done extensive searching here and on the internet, and I can't find anything that's in production that is a DIN mount mp3 player that sports an internal hard drive and a USB port for plugging in external pen drives, HDD, etc. Do any such beasts exist? If not, I may try to homebrew something.

  • #2
    Start brewing.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

    Comment


    • #3
      grrrr

      gimme an S

      gimme an E

      gimme an A

      gimme an R

      gimmie a C

      gimmie a H

      and what do we have?

      Comment


      • #4
        cheese steaks?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
          grrrr

          gimme an S

          gimme an E

          gimme an A

          gimme an R

          gimmie a C

          gimmie a H

          and what do we have?

          Chears?

          Comment


          • #6
            Arches??

            Comment


            • #7
              Chaser?
              That **** to prevent hangovers....
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?



              Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

              Comment


              • #8
                how about this? if you want a din mounted mp3 player, buy a mp3 player single din cd player with input, and hook up and ipod....

                as strange as it is, this is a CarPC website. reguardless to the url. CarPC's allow as many mp3's as you can fit in your harddrive, along with navigation, mpeg's, movies, obdII(on board dyno), bluetooth, and internet.

                All you will need is a
                touchscreen, (i.e. xenarc , lilliput )
                a computer
                a front end (i.e. road runner, frodoplayer )
                and some appretiation for the post whores of this forum, or else you'll get ****ed in th ***.
                and some other stuff as far as the car goes...

                Comment


                • #9
                  http://www.bossaudio.com/home/catalo...ml/catalog.php



                  MP3-4000R

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Escalade182
                    how about this? if you want a din mounted mp3 player, buy a mp3 player single din cd player with input, and hook up and ipod....

                    as strange as it is, this is a CarPC website. reguardless to the url. CarPC's allow as many mp3's as you can fit in your harddrive, along with navigation, mpeg's, movies, obdII(on board dyno), bluetooth, and internet.

                    All you will need is a
                    touchscreen, (i.e. xenarc , lilliput )
                    a computer
                    a front end (i.e. road runner, frodoplayer )
                    and some appretiation for the post whores of this forum, or else you'll get ****ed in th ***.
                    and some other stuff as far as the car goes...
                    The problem with using portable mp3 players on an aux input is that they are hard to control when you're driving your car and they run out of batts.

                    Sorry, I didn't know this site was exclusively for CarPC's. I thought it would be safe to post in the car audio section, at least. I have one w/ Xenarc touchscreen ... EPIA SP13000. For music, waiting for the boot, fishing around for buttons on the touchscreen is not worth it. You can keep your eyes on the road more if you can just reach down and feel for a knob.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by lawrence

                      Thanks. This one has the USB, but there's no internal HDD. I've found that the displays on most HU are quite lacking in terms of displaying ID3 info, etc.
                      Also, most of them don't have good navigation abilities if you have tons of songs in multilevel trees... they just blob them all into one huge list.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by lincomatic
                        Thanks. This one has the USB, but there's no internal HDD. I've found that the displays on most HU are quite lacking in terms of displaying ID3 info, etc.
                        Also, most of them don't have good navigation abilities if you have tons of songs in multilevel trees... they just blob them all into one huge list.

                        Hence the reason for a carputer. Unfortunately, unless you have a BMW with IBUS, you can't control the carputer like you like, (though there are always powermates, game pads, and various other hardware projects to correct that, as well as being able to interface existing buttons on your steering wheel into a project) but I think, in the end, you will find that carputer is your best option because each product, as you mentioned, is lacking in some regard, whether it is the display, folder navigation, USB connector, whatever, it will be lacking.

                        Michael

                        P.S. Trust me, saying "I was gonna help you do blah, but now since you were mean I am not" aint gonna get you anywhere here. Few people will believe you can do anything for them if you can't execute a simple search on this forum, or can't come up with the appropriate search terms. Besides, it just makes you sound childish and immature.
                        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                          Hence the reason for a carputer. Unfortunately, unless you have a BMW with IBUS, you can't control the carputer like you like, (though there are always powermates, game pads, and various other hardware projects to correct that, as well as being able to interface existing buttons on your steering wheel into a project) but I think, in the end, you will find that carputer is your best option because each product, as you mentioned, is lacking in some regard, whether it is the display, folder navigation, USB connector, whatever, it will be lacking.
                          Thanks. My problem with using a full blown carputer is that it's kind of overkill for just playing music. They take a long time to boot, are hard to fit into a DIN slot properly and are hard to cool in the harsh environment of the dash. I'm thinking more in terms of something cheaper, more stripped down, and cooler running, such as a dedicated ARM-based box, running Linux. A good example is the Omnifi DMP1. I've hacked mine to do folder navigation, interface to my HU and steering wheel buttons, stream music wirelessly to anyone near my car, and interface to a USB GPS. The only thing which keeps the DMP1 from being a perfect solution is that it won't fit into a DIN slot unless I fabricate a new housing for it. Before doing that, I just wanted to know if there was already something on the market that's affordably priced, and already did everything I want it to do.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lincomatic
                            Thanks. This one has the USB, but there's no internal HDD. I've found that the displays on most HU are quite lacking in terms of displaying ID3 info, etc.
                            Also, most of them don't have good navigation abilities if you have tons of songs in multilevel trees... they just blob them all into one huge list.
                            Any 1-din headunit will provide problems navigating through tons of mp3's. You are searching for a holy grail that is not available nor conceivable. You want buttons to be able to use to search your media easily, knobs to control volume (and possibly scrolling), and a screen that would make it easy to navigate nested media. 1 din is simply not enough room to do all of this unfortunately. You would either need to use a magnifying glass to read the text or limit yourself to 2-3 lines of easily (while driving) readable text.

                            The empeg was the closest thing to what you are looking for, but the only viable option I see in the future is a double din unit. No matter what the solution that may eventually come, it will certainly not be cheap. Figure at least a 2.5" drive, text readable lcd screen, built-in amp, CD/DVD drive and processor will not keep this unit anywhere close to your desired figures. If a unit like this did come along, I don't imagine it being anything less than ~$1,000 until years later when you'll find them for ~$500.

                            If you did search, the reason your searches came up with no results is because no such beast exists. The first reply was to "start brewing" because nothing like this existed commercially (at least anymore). There are people who have made their own, and with nano-itx boards, it is becoming more possible, but certainly not cheap. The Subaru in-dash kit allows for a 7" Lilliput and an Epia based system. That requires 2-din's and is not cheap.

                            As far as your threats about not wanting to help out the community with your knowledge, I find that somewhat childish. If you really had the ability to help us, and had any intentions on doing so, you would not have made it conditional. If you can help us, do not let a few off comments deter you if you had any intention on doing so. This community is far larger than the subset of users that responded. Your question is the search for the holy grail that is posed entirely too often. Some users get tired of the repititious nature of these questions. If you really thought it through, you would realize that any solution made available could not fit your needs very well. Bottom line, if you can help, do not make it conditional on us finding a device for you that does not exist.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              sony make a hdd head unit. but ti will cost you your left testicle.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X