Optimal Sub Positioning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimal Sub Positioning

I'm currently running 2 12" subs in a standard, ported mdf box. I have a BMW sedan that does not have the armrest option in the rear seat (nor does it have fold down seats). I get plenty of bass, but this was nothing like my last car (mustang w/ fold down seats). I would say that I currently get half the bass that I used to get.

My subs are facing the back of the trunk and I believe that this is the optimal placement for my setup. I tried removing the rear fill speakers, and I got a better bass response. I want this type of a response without sacrificing my rears (for 5.1 purposes). I have been reading a lot about fiberglass DIY's and I might be up for the challenge. I don't know much about different sub placements, but I have a few options:

1. Fiberglass the twelves into my tail light areas in the trunk (one on the left and one on the right) and have them fire towards eachother. I would then need to port the rear deck.

2. Fiberglass both twelves into the same enclosure on one of the tail lights in the trunk and have them fire towards the inside of my trunk.

3. Have the subs sit in a plexiglass case at the rear of my trunk. The case would be sealed and ported through the rear deck, so that all of the bass gets pushed into the cabin. The subs could either be placed facing eachother or facing the rear of the trunk.

4. Keep my setup and just cut ports in the rear deck.

What do you guys think is the best option? Appearance is a plus, but my goal is to maximize my bass response...is there a better placement that I have overlooked? I appreciate any help/suggestions
    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
    - Alpine W200/H701
    - ED Nine.2X
    - OZ Matrix Elites
    - ED Nine.1
    - Idmax 12's

I got lost after 'bmw sedan'

Is that an 'estate' if so I drive an estate and have a loss of bass problem, if fact I get / feel more bass in the drivers seat if I have the boot lid up!

<edit>hang on got it an estate is a wagon, so a sedan must be a saloon.
    Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

Originally posted by lez
      I got lost after 'bmw sedan'

Is that an 'estate' if so I drive an estate and have a loss of bass problem, if fact I get / feel more bass in the drivers seat if I have the boot lid up!

<edit>hang on got it an estate is a wagon, so a sedan must be a saloon.
      Yeah, I think that the books call it a "saloon", but its just a standard 4 door 325i, hence the term "sedan".

If you get more bass with the boot up, then you probably have a phase problem, you should try moving your subs around. Try putting the rear of the sub box against your back seat, so that the subs fire against the trunk wall, giving you a "corner loading" setup, although I'm not sure about how well this works in a wagon setup.

My question is basically geared toward enclosure types, porting, and positioning. A while back, I heard a BMW coupe setup that just amazed me. The guy had a marble box with two twelves facing eachother at the rear of the trunk. The box was sealed and ported through the center armrest in the back seat so that all of the bass was pushed into the cabin (this is where I got idea #3 from). The front of the box was plexi so that you could see the subs and see into the cabin. The port was made out of marble as well. The whole car was dynamated and the interior bass presure was unbelievable.

Many people say that the simpler setups will yield the best bass response, but this is not happening in my case because the trunk is sealed so tightly. Should I just cut ports into the rear deck so that my entire trunk acts as a box, or should I go for a more facilitated port that directs the bass into the cabin?
      PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
      - Alpine W200/H701
      - ED Nine.2X
      - OZ Matrix Elites
      - ED Nine.1
      - Idmax 12's

Comment

well its a guess but into the cabin.

My setup is two tens, in a box full width of trunk, at about 30 degree incline towards the rear glass, idea was sound should bounce off and back down the car to the driver. not worked......

see if I can draw a quick pic........

Comment

this is crap, but I think you can see what I mean, the seat is the rear seats, the box is a mdf box, the two tens cant be seen in the pic they are point towards the rear, seems to be a good idea if sound travelled like light....

the sound is low, but when someon lifts the boot, its easily doubled, even with the door speakers off so its bass nly its the same, original idea was I had the bass speakers in opposite phase to doors, but its not.
          Attached Files

Comment

Why bother with surround sound if you are going to drown it out with Bass anyway?

Choose loudnes or sound quality, you can't have both.

Comment

Originally posted by ElKeeed
              Why bother with surround sound if you are going to drown it out with Bass anyway?

Choose loudnes or sound quality, you can't have both.

Oh, but I can have both...I'm running CDT's right now and they are nothing short of amazing. Extremely crisp and extremely clear, even with my subs turned up all the way. I could imagine doubling my bass and still hearing the vocals perfectly (that's my goal)....which brings me back to my question...
              PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
              - Alpine W200/H701
              - ED Nine.2X
              - OZ Matrix Elites
              - ED Nine.1
              - Idmax 12's

Comment

I would try a 7th order. This is basically a bandpass box. Instead of trying to use the trunk to compress the bass into the cab just take the ports of the box and bring it into the rear deck. Do not extend the port demensions. Use the correct length of ports and just have them long enough to get inside the box. This will bring ALL of your bass into the cab. You will be amazed at the effeciency. The bass will also roll off of your rear window and get rifled right into your back. Try it, youll like it. Also, never cross your sub or fire them into each other. This actually promotes a cancelling effect and can often add mud to your sound.

Peace!!
                http://www.uniteddiscgolf.com

Comment

Thanks Grunion....that's a really good idea. Should I try and build the box or buy one premade and simply extend the ports (since I have no box building experience)? If I buy one premade, then It might be hard to keep the dimensions of the ports while extending them...hmmm
                  PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                  - Alpine W200/H701
                  - ED Nine.2X
                  - OZ Matrix Elites
                  - ED Nine.1
                  - Idmax 12's

Comment

I would deffinately build my own box. The pre-made boxes usaully consist of thin partical board and only use wood glue and staples to secure the peices. All you need are the cubic volume of the sealed and ported box. You can arrange the demensions as needed.

If you give me the demensions you have to work with and the sub type I can help get you started.

Comment

I'm almost embarassed to say, but I just bought two audiobahn 1206t's. I currently have two orion 12's (can't remember the model name, but they put out 1000 watts each). These are awesome subs, very loud and clean...one of them is starting to make a rattling sound and I have a feeling that its ready to go anytime now. My first choice was a pair of Alpine type X's, but I decided to go the cheap route for now and I got both audiobahns for under $200.

I don't have the exact dimensions of my trunk right now, but I can get them later. I know that my sub box right now fits perfectly with less than an inch of space on either side. It houses two twelves and there is little space between the twelves...I would guess that the width is 2.5 ft. and the height is 1.5 ft.
                      PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                      - Alpine W200/H701
                      - ED Nine.2X
                      - OZ Matrix Elites
                      - ED Nine.1
                      - Idmax 12's

Comment

Audiobahns make a lot of different models. This is an exact science if you want it to pound. If you plan on switching to a different model later then I would suggest to make the box for the future sub you plan on using.

Your orions might have a split in the foam surround. I have seen this happen and heard some rattling before. If it is not that then your voice coil is bottoming out on your magnet. This is do to over excursion usually from to much power. Try to turn the gain down some and check the foam surround.

Comment

Grunion advised exactly what i was going to recommend. Build your own box to speaker specs and run the ports into the rear deck. Just remember to enclose the speakers on the rear deck (if BMW puts them there).

In regards to speaker positioning, facing towards the rear should work just fine.
                          Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

Originally posted by lez
                            well its a guess but into the cabin.

My setup is two tens, in a box full width of trunk, at about 30 degree incline towards the rear glass, idea was sound should bounce off and back down the car to the driver. not worked......

see if I can draw a quick pic........

looks like significant wave cancellation. Try rotating the subs 180 degrees (facing forward). Does it change the volume?
                            Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

In a 7th order enclosure absolutley no bass would enter the trunk so sealing the stock speakers would not be an issue. The only opening for the bass to escape would be the ports firing into the cab. Now if the spl reached to high then they could push the stocks back into the trunk but if this is an issue then you must do all your speaks. Never seen this in the past but I always rolled with my windows cracked so the world could here my BASS! Youll know if you blow your stock speakers with a known good volume for their capabilities.

Comment

Working...
                              X