Subwoofers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subwoofers

Hey just want some opinions, what do people think is the best sub out there, and the best bang for your buck sub out there?

me?
    i am leaning towards the:
    best:
    JL W7

best bang:
    JL Audio W3

thanks

i had 4 12w3v2d2 on an autotek stealth 1500.1 and they were LOUD!
    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

I am leaning towards the fosgate line. I know JL audio have alot of bump but I feel that the lower wattage speakers will perform just fine if the box is built correctly. JLAudio are expensive to. I am looking at one 15" that is gonna run me just under $200 smackers. Whats the cost of JL nowadays?
      http://www.uniteddiscgolf.com

Comment

If u want a really loud thump in ur ears, go for the Kicker high end range, e.g. the L7's....only down side of these is they need a hell of a lot of power!

Comment

im after loud thumping, as loud as possible for under $500AU so what u guys suggest. I was leaning towards 2 W3 or maybe 1 W7. and yer i also have to remember the cost of powering these things.

Comment

I can get good solid earth shaking bass that sets off car alarm in parking lots while driving down the road with low wattage speakers. Get a good amp and make the box to specs of the woofer. Push clean wattage into your subs with a good amp and keep the wattage specs in mind. I had a punch 500 pushing 4 RFZ 15" fosgates that put them right in the RMS zone and no one could touch it. I was sending around 175 watts to each 15 and the specs called for I believe 150-200 Rms. They slammed harder than anything I have heard in a long time. I wanted to compete in the under 1000 watts comp but never got around to it. I think I would have blown the comp away.

Comment

i had 2 12w3 on a jl500/1 amp and it sounded really nice. i also got pulled over for it. damn police . ever since then i never put subs again. my buddy bought the subs from me and ended up buying 15 l7s for cheap. so the jls are for sale if you interested.
              i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

I just dont think 12s have the capability I am looking for. I like that bass that carries for ever. Not so loud in the cab but just carries for blocks. I noticed you can only get that with 15s and 18s. Maybe I am wrong on this but I have not heard any 12s that could pull this off.

Well I take that back. In 1993 I heard a truck with 2 12" mtx blue thunders that bumped hard and low. Then I heard a couple of 8" subs in a 7th order that sounded like an 18" turned down. The bass carried far!!! It was amazing but since then I have not heard anything do it.

Comment

Originally posted by GrunioN
                  I just dont think 12s have the capability I am looking for. I like that bass that carries for ever. Not so loud in the cab but just carries for blocks. I noticed you can only get that with 15s and 18s. Maybe I am wrong on this but I have not heard any 12s that could pull this off.

Well I take that back. In 1993 I heard a truck with 2 12" mtx blue thunders that bumped hard and low. Then I heard a couple of 8" subs in a 7th order that sounded like an 18" turned down. The bass carried far!!! It was amazing but since then I have not heard anything do it.
                  Why do you want it to carry?
                  1990 Jeep Cherokee
                  2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                  2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

So I can annoy you.

Comment

the bigger the sub the lower the frequencies it can handle so a 12" will not be able to go anywhere near as loud as an 18" in the lower end.

the box is very important with subs, make the box to the correct volume and the sub will perform well....make it to the wrong volume or don't seal it properly and it'll sound terrible.

one of my m8s swears he'll always buy boxes from the manufacturers as they are designed sealed etc to make the sub perform at its best.

he has an alpine twin sealed box, 2x apline type r's, a digital alpine monoblock powering them, and another 2 alpine amps powering his front components and rear speakers....he recently came 2nd in some british nationals class 2 comp, with 143.2 db.

I myself have around 120db out of 2 alpine type s's, powered by a rockford fosgate monoblock....but to get up to the 140 i'd have to spend about another grand! u have to fork out a hell of a lot of cash to get up to the next level, and the higher u get the harder it is to increase.

Comment

Yes you do have to spend quite a bit of money to raise just a few spl levels. Well.....if your running the most effecient set up that is.

At one time I did find a 32" speaker by MCM that was 400 watts rms. This speaker would deffinately kick out some lows and the shear mass of it would deffinately have your sound "pressure" level screaming. The box called for 10 cubic feet so you can just imagine. The frequency was down to the teens I believe. You would not even be able to hear the bass LOL!

I have always wanted to step into the lower wattage class and make the big dogs upset for spending tons of money for the same sound. LOL

Comment

my friend just bought a fosgate, he says it bumps like hell so ill have to get him to show me and maybe i will pick up two of what he has, they are the series 2 ones.

Comment

I have always hated Suckferdfuzzgate. I think is because every Suckferd dealer has been a dumb ***.

As far as the best sub? You could argue that with 100 people and get a 100 answers.

Sounds like you are not into SQ so get one thats efficent and you can cram as many as possible into the smallest space possible.

The JL W7 is a great sub but you need to feed it 1000 watts to really get it to do its thing. And I mean a real 1000 watts not 1000 from a crappy swapmeet amp.

Also check out Image Dynamics, Digital Designs, Arc Audio, Audire just to name a few.

If I was to choose a sub right now it would most likely be a JL W6 or a IDMax.
                            2007 Tahoe
                            Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

I've run MTX subs for a long time, and time after time, they consistantly do a great job. Right now, I'm sublesss, however, I had the Thunder 7500's and the Thunder 4500's. The 7500's could get painfully loud. I wasn't feeding much power to them either, check my sig, its not updated, I think it was like 800 watts or so, and my 4500's I was feeding only 400 watts. Both setups would outperform 90% of the other subs I'd find. Granted, I never went to any SPl competions, or competed.
                              Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                              Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
                              Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
                              CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
                              NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

Working...
                              X