Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PCI to amplifiers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PCI to amplifiers?

    Hi all, My car unit has 4 RCA outputs connecting a four channel amplifier leading 4 speakers and one bridged amplifier for the subwoofer. I am thinking to replace it with a carpc but what type of PCI sound card I need to connect the two amplifiers? I think that might use a mini jack to RCA cable but where might be connected? What output of the PCI card I must use for the two amplifiers..
    Thanks in advance
    PIII, Intel 733Hz, 256Ram, DVD/CD-RW, 60GB HD, SoundBlaster X-Fi, TV Tuner, M2-ATX, BT

  • #2
    one of those cheap 5.1 (aka 6 channel) sound cards off ebay for a few bucks.

    made in china, cmedia chipset etc

    all the same, all very stable, all average sound quality, some ppl will suggest spending $1000 etc but hell its a car not a place to /enjoy/ music, $5 for the soundcard $995 left for that cinema projector......

    PS I run a pci soundcard, a cheap cmedia one, I use its 4 outs, FL, FR, RL,RR into a 4 channel amp, and also connect the FR and FL to my sub amp. works a treat.
    Lez, more widely known as flez1966

    Comment


    • #3
      just get a 1/8 head phone jack to RCA adaptar, then plug that into your amps.
      Progress,.... that is what I keep forgetting ;)
      planning_[++++++++++]. 110%
      parts___[++++++----] around 60%
      install___[-----------] -9,000%

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by lez
        its a car not a place to /enjoy/ music
        I thought that people generally like to enjoy music in their cars...I know I do...am I alone on this one?
        PostCount++


        - SrCsTc's Bezel
        - Alpine W200/H701
        - ED Nine.2X
        - OZ Matrix Elites
        - ED Nine.1
        - Idmax 12's

        Comment


        • #5
          a car isnt good for currect music. Meaning, you will not get good surround sound, you will not haver every speaker act the same way, ect.

          Basically, if you like to build indoor audio systems, the carputer will never come close

          Although, I dont see why you would have a carputer, or join one, if you think its so stupid.
          Progress,.... that is what I keep forgetting ;)
          planning_[++++++++++]. 110%
          parts___[++++++----] around 60%
          install___[-----------] -9,000%

          Comment


          • #6
            Ask the SQ guys about setting up a sound stage in a car. It can be done, and it can be done well, to the point of rivaling your vaunted indoor audio system.

            Being new to carputers, and still doing my homework, I am still not convinced that a soundcard can compete with a head unit. Although the output may be very high quality the transition to the amps (digital to analog; mini jack to RCA) worries me.

            Thoughts?
            2004/ Jeep Grand Cherokee/ Freedom Edition

            Comment


            • #7
              No it cant, its always going to be a compromise, just having a passenger get in/out changes the accoustics (not to mention spacial volume) so much you will never get the same sound twice, you dont have NTSC as well do you? (NeverTheSameColour as its called in PAL countrys)

              No point in a soundcard above the $10 cmedia ones in a car setup, you cant really hear the difference, and I have tried other soundcards.
              Lez, more widely known as flez1966

              Comment


              • #8
                It maybe the case that a home audio theater will out preform a car in terms of reproducing movie theater quality surround sound, but that is not the goal of most quality car audio set ups. The primary concern is reproducing music accurately on all frequencies. This consists of playing back audio (cd's, mp3's, flac, etc.) and setting up a good front stage. Getting good surround sound and playing music are two very different things. Listening to music has nothing to do with 5.1 simply because music is stereo. You don't need surround sound to play music.

                If the problem with 5.1 in a car is that the rear speakers are not of the same quality as the front speaker, than you can always change that...say, by getting the exact same speakers in the rear and focusing on a proper installation...but for simple music playback this shouldn't be necessary. Most people listen to music 95% of the time and watch movies 5% of the time, which is why the primary focus is usually on setting up a good front stage that eliminates the need for rear speakers.
                PostCount++


                - SrCsTc's Bezel
                - Alpine W200/H701
                - ED Nine.2X
                - OZ Matrix Elites
                - ED Nine.1
                - Idmax 12's

                Comment


                • #9
                  but even if you want to run sterio, and run it into 4 speakers, a 5.1 soundcard (configured for 4ch) is going to be the easiest option, and it will still do surround if you boot up a dvd.

                  anyhow i was more commenting on the cost/quality overkill not channel setup, I'l leave the 'soundstage' to ppl with more idea on that than me, my bass units sound terrible in my car due to bad positioning.
                  Lez, more widely known as flez1966

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lez
                    i was more commenting on the cost/quality overkill not channel setup
                    Yeah, I think your right about the cost/quality overkill. Any basic soundcard will do what you want. The $10 ebay one will not be noticeably different than the usb soundblaster by creative. You just have to make sure that you install everything else correctly. For example, keep the rca runs to the amps to a minimum length and try not to let speaker wires run parallel to any power wires...and most of all, find a way to eliminate the infamous speaker pop
                    PostCount++


                    - SrCsTc's Bezel
                    - Alpine W200/H701
                    - ED Nine.2X
                    - OZ Matrix Elites
                    - ED Nine.1
                    - Idmax 12's

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 3onDubs
                      I thought that people generally like to enjoy music in their cars...I know I do...am I alone on this one?

                      that was my thought exactly!

                      Originally posted by Haystack
                      a car isnt good for currect music. Meaning, you will not get good surround sound, you will not haver every speaker act the same way, ect.

                      Basically, if you like to build indoor audio systems, the carputer will never come close
                      I beg to differ....you must not know a whole lot about the current state of car audio!

                      Originally posted by Bob_Barker
                      Being new to carputers, and still doing my homework, I am still not convinced that a soundcard can compete with a head unit. Although the output may be very high quality the transition to the amps (digital to analog; mini jack to RCA) worries me.
                      Yes, a CarPC can, has, and did so successfully...see my sig for proof.

                      Originally posted by 3onDubs
                      It maybe the case that a home audio theater will out preform a car in terms of reproducing movie theater quality surround sound, but that is not the goal of most quality car audio set ups. The primary concern is reproducing music accurately on all frequencies. This consists of playing back audio (cd's, mp3's, flac, etc.) and setting up a good front stage. Getting good surround sound and playing music are two very different things. Listening to music has nothing to do with 5.1 simply because music is stereo. You don't need surround sound to play music.

                      If the problem with 5.1 in a car is that the rear speakers are not of the same quality as the front speaker, than you can always change that...say, by getting the exact same speakers in the rear and focusing on a proper installation...but for simple music playback this shouldn't be necessary. Most people listen to music 95% of the time and watch movies 5% of the time, which is why the primary focus is usually on setting up a good front stage that eliminates the need for rear speakers.
                      amen

                      I've never understood the desire to have 5.1 in a car....you shouldn't be watching movies while driving, and if I wanted to watch a movie and cared enough about having 5.1 I wouldn't want to ruin the experience by watching it on a tiny 7-8" screen! However, for MUSIC, I absolutely believe that it's worth it!
                      Jan Bennett
                      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                      Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        you buy a 5.1 soundcard to get 4 channels, not 5.1, where would you put the centre speaker?

                        You could try to set it for 4 channel+sub, but I have found most of these cards dont like it, and the ones that work, switch off the sub channel when not making sound, and they cause a thump when they do this, so set for 4 channels and run the sub off the 2 fronts


                        I have not seen a 4 channel card since soundblaster 1024 or whatever it was, and that sucked on amd/via boards (probably more via's fault than creative)
                        Lez, more widely known as flez1966

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          center speaker would either go custom molded into the dash or you get a single din speaker, there are a few of them out there..
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                          Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                            I've never understood the desire to have 5.1 in a car....you shouldn't be watching movies while driving, and if I wanted to watch a movie and cared enough about having 5.1 I wouldn't want to ruin the experience by watching it on a tiny 7-8" screen! However, for MUSIC, I absolutely believe that it's worth it!
                            So true...I had a DVD player in my last car and in my current car before my carputer. In those four years I think that I've watched two movies total. 99% of the time I watched music videos or just listened to mp3s. Its kind of pointless to focus the energy on getting all five speakers configured and tested so that you can, one day, watch a movie in your car and enjoy a couple sound effects behind you. The energy should be focused on getting the music experience down and not compromising. Movies will still sound great in that rare occasion that you take a road trip or are waiting in one of those never ending in n out drive thru lines...
                            PostCount++


                            - SrCsTc's Bezel
                            - Alpine W200/H701
                            - ED Nine.2X
                            - OZ Matrix Elites
                            - ED Nine.1
                            - Idmax 12's

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              think I'l stick with 4 channels +sub, and let the software worry about sorting the 5.1 problem.

                              A car is too small a box to get 5.1 setup IMHO, but I would still /buy/ a 5.1 card and then use it as 4+sub as its the easiest and cheapest way.
                              Lez, more widely known as flez1966

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X