Installing several amps...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing several amps...

Ok, I want to get rid of my HU, and use my mac mini... I know how to do some things with audio but not much. How do I run power to like 4 amps? And how do I connect those together because the mac-mini only has one output? I would like to lose as little sound quality as possible... One morew thing, the remote on the amps, what needs to go there?

What do you need four amps for? Normal speakers or subs?

Comment

I was thinking about having 3 200watt amps for two tweeters, two door speakers, and two rear...One for each pair, if not, I was thinking about getting a 6 channel amp... But the fourth would be for a pair of subs.

Comment

You can run as many amps as you want.. I am running 5 with my setup. Just make sure you get a good sound card!

Comment

To run power to the amps, just run one wire from the battery to a distro block in the trunk (where i'm assuming the amps will be). Make sure the single wire is a pretty large gauge since it'll be drawing a lot of juice. And get a sound card with at least 5.1 output so that you can have seperate outputs on the card for each amp. One for fronts, one for backs, one for subs, or whatever your configuration will be.

Comment

Originally posted by jdisenberg
            I was thinking about having 3 200watt amps for two tweeters, two door speakers, and two rear...One for each pair, if not, I was thinking about getting a 6 channel amp... But the fourth would be for a pair of subs.
            why?

200 watts to a tweeter? Why not run your tweeters and mids from one amp, the rears from another and get a 3rd for your sub?

Tell me about your front set up, are you thiking of getting a full range speaker for the doors and adding a 2nd set of tweeters? Why? 2 sets of tweeters is not equal to twice as good sound quaity. Look into a set of seperates instead.
            Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

A four channel amp should be plenty to power everything but subs. If your staying with stock speakers even more so. I would look in to getting a good 4 channel.

This also gives you more flexability with your 5.1 well I guess it would be more like 4.1. Either way each speaker could have a channel, thus making tuning easier.

Speakers can be wired together. Your tweeters don't each need a channel all to themselves. Wire them to your front speakers. Just watch your impedence (ohms). Their are countless guides on how to figure your impedence. (I think this was what Will was getting at)

My choice a 5 channel amp and a sub amp in the back. run 4 channels as stated above, use the 5th channel to run a small sub up front. Then use your sub amp for the subs in your trunk. Real honest to goodness 5.1, well sort of anyway.

j

Comment

Tweeters add virtually no load to an amplifier. Most are higher than 4 ohms and will not present an issue. Adding a tweeter should not equate to a 2 ohm load at the amplifier.

Keep in mind that impedence is frequency dependent. Thats why a component set is a 4 ohm load and not a 2. As long as the frequencies do not significantly overlap, the amp will see a 4 ohm load at the woofer and a 4 ohm load at the mid. This does not equal a 2 ohm load. Also keep in mind that it takes significantly less energy to move the transducer of a tweeter than a woofer.

I run 3 speakers off of my 2 channel amp. I run a component set (woofer and tweet) in stereo and a single 10 in woofer in mono. This requires a passive crossover network. It actually bridges the amp for frequencies below 100 hz while running the amp in stereo at 120hz and up. The amp is not overtaxed and is only as stressed as running it in bridged mode.

My issue with adding tweeters to a coax is adding just way too much information in the high frequency range. Unless the original poster is aware of crossover networks, phasing and equalization, I highly doubt he can pull off placing a redundant set of tweeters. My fear is he was planning on adding them just for the "look at my tweeters" factor. To each their own i guess
                Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

wow, thanks for all of the replies, I really have no idea what most of that means, but I am on a break at work and can't really lok at it much... later, I will go through and read it more thouroghly...

What about this though... four channel for my four front speakers? And a two channel for my two rear... and then a sub amp....

My car has 6 speakers already there, and yes I will be changing the speakers out...

What is a good USB sound card that will work on mac, and be 5.1 sound... If I can't find a 5.1 like the firewave...I think.... what could be a good temp fix... Because I don't think that the firewave is out yet...

Comment

Also, what about just using a 6 channel for my speakers and an extra amp for my subs? Would that be ok?

Comment

What 4 speakers up front? hy do they all need independent amplification? What type of car is this?

Here is the concept I want you to think about... 2 channel amp for all speakers in the front of the vehicle.

Comment

I was just under the impression that I needed a seperate channel for each pair... I really don't know anything about audio, but I am trying to learn...

I could have lets say one 200 w amp powering my two front door speakers and the two tweeters that are at the door too? Thats 50 w to each speaker...

Then are you saying to use a seperate amp for my rear and then another amp to run my subs? So three amps in all?

By the way, I appreciate all the help...

Comment

Basically, you are dealing with 6 speakers and your subs that you want to ultimately amplify (2 tweeters, 2 midranges, 2 rear). The midranges and tweeters come together as what is known as a component set. If you will be swapping out your speakers, than I suggest getting a component set that comes with a crossover.

The advantages of this is that you will only need one channel for each set of midrange and tweeter. In other words, two channels will control all of your front speakers (one for the left, one for the right). You will then need two more channels for your rear speakers. A four channel amp is ideal for your setup because it will allow you to control your balance and fading from the headunit.

The crossovers work in the following way....they split the signal going to your front speakers into two sections: one for the midranges and one for the tweeters. The midranges play all of the frequencies in between your subs and tweeters. The tweeters simply pick up where the midranges left off and play the frequencies that are too high for the mids. You do not need a seperate channel to amplify only these high frequencies. You can amplify the entire frequency range (above the subwoofers range) and use the crossover to divide the frequencies. Both the tweeters and the midranges will get the same amount of power without dividing the power that comes from your amplifier.

Let's say you have a 4 channel 400 watt amp that gives you 100 watts per channel....both your tweeters and your midranges will be getting 100 watts a piece. If you go seperate channels on your tweeters, than you are wasting all of that power that could be used to amplify a lower frequency. Instead of filtering out these frequencies, you can direct them to the right speakers without losing power.

Two amps should be enough for your system...one for the inside speakers and one for the subs. The reason why you wouldn't want a 5 channel amp is because it is hard to find one that has enough power for the sub channel. Subs generally like to see more power than the other speakers.

If you needed amplifiers or speakers, I have a bunch that I am trying to get rid of....check em out: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67824
                          PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                          - Alpine W200/H701
                          - ED Nine.2X
                          - OZ Matrix Elites
                          - ED Nine.1
                          - Idmax 12's

Comment

exactly =)

Comment

I already have one two channel 200 w amp and wanted to incorporate that somehow... what do you all suggest? Get a four...or use two amp for the speakers in the front and one for subs?

Thanks guys...now...What hooks into the remote port? Because I am going to be using a mac mini as an HU, what goes there?

Comment

Working...
                              X