How do I time the speakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I time the speakers

Well the advantages of using a computer to play your music are very high, and makes me interested in SQ events.
    What do I need to do to make sure the soundwaves are coming at me like they should. Seems like software can offset the speakers a bit to make them all seem equal, I just don't know how to do it, or what I need. That's why I'm coming to you guys
    Thanks
    Budd

high quality sound card software.

soundblaster XFI works well.
    My Install

Software:
    CFiG v1
    iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
    Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
    StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

a ruler, software/processing that can adjust the timing and a calculator. You will want to know this number as well: 13548 in/sec.

You will have to take it from there McGuyver
      Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

learning to tune isn't exactly something that can be explained over the internet IMO.

You have to sit down with someone who knows what they are doing, and have them point out some things to you.

You also need to know what the music SHOULD sound like, along with knowing the certain things you need to listen for
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Thanks Alti and Will, and point well taken Red GTi.
          I'd love to find more like minded people locally, but the fact is, there are only two stereo shops, and none of my friends have an interest in the speakers.
          I'd like to check out SQ events close to me in Michigan.

Seems like you could almost put a mic where your ears would be, hit the go button, and it automaticly calibrates it for ya. I guess we're not there in technology yet.

Also I'll look into some good sound cards. Thanks again guys

Comment

Pioneer and sony both made processors like you are saying - where a microphon is placed. VERY expensive
            Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

The alpine PXA-H701 with the corresponding display (RUX-C701) comes with a mic that will get you at a starting point, and might be very beneficial when you don't have ANYONE near you. It's not going to get your set-up 100% perfect, but it will get you on your way at least. (no one's set-up is 100% perfect anyways, speakers change their characteristics as they are used).

You can buy the alpine I'm talking about for about $700 at retail, some people are finding theirs on ebay and the like for around $500...

don't know what kind of a budget you are looking at, but for the money, PERIOD, there is nothing better out there

do a quick search for H700 or H701 on here and you will see what I mean.
              Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

PS: as for shows look at the following:

http://www.iasca.com

and

http://www.soundoff.org/usaci.htm

there are a few others out there, but they aren't as well known or as big
                Jan Bennett

Comment

I've found the KX drivers for Sound Blaster cards (not the USB Audigy, unfortunately) work very well for fine tuning the sound. You can do a variety of things, including time alignment, individual gains on each channel, etc. If you can't afford the Alpine (which I couldn't), then this isn't a bad option.

The website is:
                  http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1

Comment

Working...
                  X