Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP3 car storage question!

Hi guys,

Basically I'm after something LIKE a Kenwood Keg or a PhatBox if you guys have heard of them.

Something which can store MP3's I can put in my glove box and be able to remove a card or the whole thing to upload songs onto from my PC.

I really don't wanna go the iPod route - so over done!

Can anyone suggest an off the shelf product or perhaps the assembly of something quite simple! It's to go in the back of a new Pioneer head unit, assumingly the plug in where say a CD changer goes.

Please give me some advice!

Thanks.

Originally posted by ytrebil
    Hi guys,

Basically I'm after something LIKE a Kenwood Keg or a PhatBox if you guys have heard of them.

Something which can store MP3's I can put in my glove box and be able to remove a card or the whole thing to upload songs onto from my PC.

Can anyone suggest an off the shelf product or perhaps the assembly of something quite simple! It's to go in the back of a new Pioneer head unit, assumingly the plug in where say a CD changer goes.

Please give me some advice!

Thanks.
    go to best buy? kind of the wrong forum for something like that. if you actually read around, you'll notice people build there own here...

EDIT: also, why NOT go iPod, when it can fit in your pocket and hold as much or more than the typical mp3 "keg." there's a reason why they seem to be "overdone," and that's because it's simply one of, if not the best standalone mp3 player with massive storage and easy to use interface on the market.

also, you could get a cd changer capable of reading mp3 discs. there are some 12 disc changers that suit the bill, and likely one able to be controlled by your head unit...

Comment

Well I've had no luck in other forums and I did actually say if there is nothing like that off the shelf then what is the best way to build something like that! Only to play MP3s via a headunit.

Comment

Those are the old days. You are not going to find them any more.
        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Well I've had no luck in other forums and I did actually say if there is nothing like that off the shelf then what is the best way to build something like that! Only to play MP3s via a headunit.
          which is why i directed you to best buy...

honestly, your best bet is something made to be controlled via your headunit, or an ........... iPod...

Comment

buy this headunit with a usb input

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail....odel=PLCD63WMU

and buy this usb thumb drive
            http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Prod...o.aspx?ID=1224

4gb at your fingertips, and portable to your computer. you can even go to circuit city and they will install the headunit for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Freelander
              buy this headunit with a usb input

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail....odel=PLCD63WMU

and buy this usb thumb drive
              http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Prod...o.aspx?ID=1224

4gb at your fingertips, and portable to your computer. you can even go to circuit city and they will install the headunit for you.
              a very good option if you want to ditch what you've got.

Comment

So you want something that is like a portable hard drive that makes it easy to put music files on/off of, that fits in the glove box and is portable but you DON'T want an iPod.

How about one of those Dell jukebox things, then?

Seriously, you're asking for a portable hard drive music player. They make really good ones. You should consider buying one.
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Here's a real answer...

Sorry other people on this forum weren't helpful...guys, there are reasons why someone would NOT want an iPod hooked up to an aftermarket stereo deck. Crappy 3rd party stereo interface, no good place to mount the iPod, lack of a good display...those are a few.

The OmniFi DMP1 is exactly what you are looking for, and cheap. The DMP1 is a 20GB hard drive based MP3 player with a removable hard drive cartridge that you can either remove to sync with your computer, or sync with wirelessly from your home PC. It has a CD changer style remote mountable 3 line LCD display that is backlit and approximately 1.5 in. deep, allowing very flexible mounting options. You can hook it to your existing car stereo by purchasing an FM modulator for around $30-40, or directly using RCA inputs if you have them.It plays MP3 and WMA files out of the box, or, you can download excellent 3rd party replacement software that improves the user interface and overall functionality (search for OpenFi and DMP). There is even an active yahoo usergroup devoted to improving the product. Ready for the best part?

It's CHEAP. Probably under $125-150 for the entire unit NEW and under warranty if you find the right deal on eBAY. woot.com, the web electronics liquidator used to sell them on a regular basis for just a bit more, so plenty of people have new units to sell. I don't think you'll be able to find ANYTHING comparable (including the iPod) for anywhere close to that price. In fact, I think there are quite a few people on this forum who have (needlessly) invested hundreds of dollars in their carputers just to have a glorified MP3 player. But that's just my opinion.

How do know all this? Well, before I decided that I needed navigation in addition to MP3s, I owned a DMP. In fact, I would still be using it if the faceplate hadn't been stolen from my car.

Any more questions, post here, and I'll respond.

Gregory

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Working...
                  X