suggestions are also helpful

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions are also helpful

I (i saw a nother thread but made my own) am in the market for newstuff!

I am wanting (b/c my dang 12" sub is a 100oz paper weight) to get a 12" sub, box for it, new front speakers, and new amp.

The sub is priority since i don't have any bass right now. I only want one so i have space in my trunk (corolla) and thats all i need. I would like to try one of those DVC's or something that has very clear sound.

The front speakers are 4" round and i want something that is clearer than stock ones. The mids i don't care right now since they are fine how they are.

The amp i want 5 channel so I can amp the front speakers (which is another thing to think about in choosing the front speakers since they needa be somewhat powerful)... my H/U has 3 preouts and I already ahve wires from battery coming to trunk so its all good... however 5'channel amp is very important.

I saw Pyle but i heard they were pieces of crap. My boss has an old MTX he won't sell to me and so i figured I'd look for those. Any deals on 5 channel amps wouo be awesome, however i think I'm going to buy the sub/box first, then front speakers, and lastly the amp since im expecting to pay 230~ for it.

Thanks for any replies with some suggestions on good brands (hard to find reviews on amny brands of amps and speakers), good configurations, or anything else that may help. Thanks!
    -luper
    ALMOST DONE!
    I got LCD, mobo, hdd, GPS h/s, most of wiring

ALL i need is some stuff and then misc stuff: (offers?)
    PSU, more wires, slim cd/dvd drive, OBDII stuff, wireless adaptor, audio stuff, stuff period.

dont go 5 channel man...very unefficeint and if u want a sub, taht will not suit it
    Bass is like cocain... ITS ADDICTIVE
    couple days till i have bump in da trunk
    _/---|____
    |_@___@_| <<===My lowrider

Comment

it's inefficient, not unefficient

and if you get a good one, they are a great way to go

have one (MTX) in our truck right now....been in there for 6 years or so now....IIRC

we looked at getting the 5 channel audison for my car as well

now on to the original post....I'll let someone else tell you EVERYTHING you should get, this kind of post is one of my pet peeves...

as long as you stick with good brands, you won't have a problem. Just keep in mind that in car audio you REALLY get what you pay for....pyle is just about as ****ty crappy skanky as you can get..flea market brand at BEST...

Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

i have a memphis 1000 watt amp but its mono obviously just for sub and not what i want.... I want to amp all the speakers from one amp (will help in future if/when i get rid of h/u)

I see a few amps that are like 150w x 4 & 350w x 1 which i think is about what i want ish...so you think MTX is good brand eh... what abou subs? Like i said i have an audiobahn 12" 100oz paper-weight.... DVC good idea? I know its good for wiring and i MAY add a sub later but ill just have one for now... i may go with audiobahn for everything cept amp.. and im also looking at JBL

Are inifnity relaible?
        -luper
        ALMOST DONE!

PSU, more wires, slim cd/dvd drive, OBDII stuff, wireless adaptor, audio stuff, stuff period.

Comment

you're not going to be able to power more than one decent sub off of the single sub channel of a 5-channel amp, especially if it's rated at 350 watts.

Do some searching for brands instead of asking all these questions. All of these brands have been talked about...

dono, guess I just get tired of the same questions with the same answers all the time...
          Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

well the difrference is that i want 5 channel amp.. i haven't found much info on 5 channel amps... i ahve a 1000watt mono and 200 watt dual but i dont want 5 frickin amps... i want one...

thanks for telling me about not poweringwith 350 watts, i was somewhat knowing that but ifigured it would be OK (i had 200 watts pushing two 12's though they were crappy it sounded very good regardless...

I'm tired of hearing the same thing about searching please just tell me about 5 channel amps and trust me.. I AM SEARCHING ...
            ALMOST DONE!

Comment

underpowering the subs is one sure way to blow them, but that's an entirely different thread all together (and an entirely different argument too)

and I'll say it again....SEARCH

Most people aren't willing to just sit here and tell you everything, if you go and do the research and ask specific questions they are more willing to help, and you'll learn a crap load more

irritating yet?
              Jan Bennett

Comment

First thing, their is no reason to look for a DVC sub specifically... its more just about the ohm load that you want to achive that determines if DVC subs are useful or not...

Secondly, what is your reason for wanting a 5 channel amplifier? If you are running rear speakers, then try something for me. Disable the rear speakers, and just play with the fronts and a sub. I bet you may just like it.... Then you could just get a 4 channel amp, if you still only want one amp, and if you have a single voice coil sub, bridge two of the channels for the sub, and if you have a DVC sub, just hook up each coil to the amp. This is of course assuming you are not going active, in which case it seems like 2 amps would be better (4 channel for front, mono channel for sub). But to me, any sound coming from behind me is distracting, and I dont like it one bit!

And as far as subwoofer selection, they are all about the same in my oppinion (within price ranges). Really, I dont see their being much of a difference in any of the equally priced stuff, just as long as you dont compare store prices to internet prices. Only thing to watch out for is the cheaper stuff advertises their capabilities pretty generously... and because of that my friend has made 3 Audiobahn paperweights (hey, I never told him to get those subs...). Anyway, all subwoofers (well, except for the beloved Funky Pups) will produce bass, usually quite loudly, so if you are bass hungry, I dont see it mattering which sub you get, but if you want cleaner/tighter bass, then it will cost a bit more.

Sorry, no real help on the front stage, or amplifiers (being most of the installs I have done for my friends are only subwoofers), but just like the above paragraph, everything within a price range will probably be about the same, and the lower the price the less you can believe the stats they provide. However, if you are willing to spend around 500 USD... Boston Accustics and JL make some decent speakers in that price range (and of course their are much better speakers, but I am going from personal experience). Anyway, the biggest difference with your front speakers will probably be how loud they can get before distortion, and how bright the tweeters are.

So my advice for you: think of how much car audio really means to you, and spend accordingly. Reviews will generally mean nothing, because everyone has their own taste and experiences, so they rate the products accordingly.

Matt

Comment

well i searched in mp3car found a 3 year old thread and buncha crap.. but (SOMEHOW?) you helped and i think ill stick with matt's plan. I'm just going to use the mono amp for now and use two amps if/when i amp front speakers.

However if I see an adequate 5 channel amp i may get it ... so if ya find a good 5 channel amp please tell
                  ALMOST DONE!

Comment

Working...
                  X