power sags

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power sags

i have a 1000wat amp and 500watt amp running from my standard battery Wreg peugeot 206 1.1, After 10-15 mins of music on loud the lights start dipping and the car's power sags, what could i do to sort this would it be best to uprate the alternator or buy a bigger battery? also could i fit another battery under bonnet as a back up that the sound system can run from cheers

Those are both options that I think will help.
    A capacitor will also help.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Upgrade your battery to chasis ground. It makes no sense to have a 8ga and a 4 ga wire coming from the pos. and just one 8 ga going to the neg. IMO

Alternator upgrades can be very expensive but would more then likely do the trick.

I would recommend a optima, they're great batteries and do help some. A new battery won't be a cure all though.

hope that helps

Comment

I wouldn't hope on capacitor.
        Grond wire was the first upgrade that I made to my Pug 206 as It had similar problems. And guess what, it made things alot better. Not that the problem disappeared at all, but still alot better than it was before. If possible, upgrade the wire that connects the alternator to the battery. And change the battery if it is still not as good as you would wish.

Comment

if it starts off fine, then after 10 minutes gets bad, then you need a bigger alternator, as its not supplying enough current, and the battery is getting discharged

you may be able to get the stock alternator rewound for more current for a few hundred bux...

look into it

Comment

a capacitor will not help...it makes it worse.
            only solution is a high output alternator, for ur system i would reccomend 150 amps or more
            try www.excessiveamperage.com
            Bass is like cocain... ITS ADDICTIVE
            couple days till i have bump in da trunk
            _/---|____
            |_@___@_| <<===My lowrider

Comment

Originally posted by xtraxmechx
              Upgrade your battery to chasis ground. It makes no sense to have a 8ga and a 4 ga wire coming from the pos. and just one 8 ga going to the neg. IMO

Alternator upgrades can be very expensive but would more then likely do the trick.

I would recommend a optima, they're great batteries and do help some. A new battery won't be a cure all though.

hope that helps
              make sure if its the optima...make sure its the yellow top cause the red and orange tops provide High Cranking Amps and no deep cycle
              yellow tops provide good cranking amps and take a hella long time to discharge completly
              _/---|____

Comment

you should first check all of your wiring. Make sure you have adequate wiring...same guage if not larger on the negative as what's on the positive. Make sure you are using the right size wire in the first place.

IF you are using inadequate wire size, you may be able to lessen the problem.

However, the symptoms indicate that your alternator isn't adequately sized. Sure, a battery couldn't hurt, but this issue seems to go beyond the battery.

What is the total amperage of your amplifiers? What gauge power and ground wires are you using? What is the amperage rating on your alternator?
                Jan Bennett
                FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Im betting on inproper install. What are the make and model number of these amps?
                  Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

1.1 - is that the size of the motor in that car?

if that's the case...there's NO way you have stock alternator that can keep up with your demand...

also, 1000watts/500watts doesn't mean crap, tell us the specifics of the amplifiers...

there's also a damn good chance that you have a TINY battery in that car as well...

sounds like if you want to have any kind of serious stereo, you're going to need a new car....lol

Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

a cap isnt going to help your dimming problem- upgrade your alternator and battery to an optima yellow top like keen70 told you. talk to nathan at www.excessiveamperage.com for a new alternator, really helpful and quick with responding. read these links.... most people think that a cap will solve there dimming problems but really it will just put more strain on ur alt. same with extra batteries.
                      http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html
                      http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html
                      http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/
                      http://www.bcae1.com/charging.html
                      http://www.bcae1.com/chargin2.html
                      http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/batteries.html
                      http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp
                      http://www.optimabatteries.com/

Video of My Sub- (playing Mike Jones- Guess Whos Back)
                      RE SX12 at 35hz
                      Resonant Engineering 12

Comment

Greeny - you're really new here to this site so I will go ahead and warn you

do a search on caps in this forum (Car Audio) and see what I'm talking about. It will save yourself a lot of headaches....

some people on here don't seem to want to believe that caps are bad, mkay?!
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

go on ahead and try ur cap...c if ya system dont die...i swear it will...not to be mean but it will
                          _/---|____

Comment

A capacitor will help your amps get constant power...but it won't help your car in your specific situation. Try a cap first...if your car dies, then you will need to upgrade your battery and/or alternator. If not, problem solved.
                            PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                            - Alpine W200/H701
                            - ED Nine.2X
                            - OZ Matrix Elites
                            - ED Nine.1
                            - Idmax 12's

Comment

and waste $100+ on a cap for it not 2 work? doesent sound like somthing id wanna do... why not just save a little more for a new alt. by the way.. have u ever wondered why they never have a before and after showing the cap actually improving the power sags/ dimming lights?? because it doesent!!!!

Video of My Sub- (playing Mike Jones- Guess Whos Back)
                              RE SX12 at 35hz
                              Resonant Engineering 12

Comment

Working...
                              X