Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No head-unit, need optical out from PC to RCAs - Suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No head-unit, need optical out from PC to RCAs - Suggestions?

Hey all,

I'd like to use a DSP or Digial Analog Converter to break my ground loop problem, because I can't take it anymore. However, I'd prefer not to spend $300, either. So, I came across an old thread that said only the CY-AC300 and ADD51T would work for folks like me that don't have a head unit are simply planning to use the SPDIF optical out on my Audigy 2 NX to drive my standard 6-channel amplifier's RCAs (I know some may require an optical/coax SPDIF converter).

However, I hear rumors that there are others that will work as well, like maybe the Alpine PXA-510. Is this true? Are there others? My concerns are that (a) I don't want to have to buy a head-unit (b) I want to control the volume using my carpc (in other words I don't want to have to have another set of dials I have to use to adjust volume) and (c) I want to be able to get sound out of my fronts and rears, even when I am listening to non-surround material (read: I don't want my MP3s to just play out of the front speakers).

Some posts on this site have led me to ask about the items listed above. Please let me know if you can help me out. I will be very grateful to be done with this whine. Thanks!!!!

Mark

A couple more possibilities? DDTS-100, DAV-2100?

Comment

Leaning toward the PXA-h510 or ADD51T. If anyone has any other less expensive options (I use an inverter, so I think most home solutions would work as well), please let me know. I'd like to pull the trigger on this by tomorrow. Thanks.

Comment

What if the audigy has the ground loop? I havent spent much time reading your posts but it seems like you need to fix the original problem instead of the band aid.

My guess is you are going to go through all this work and have the same problem
        Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

The Audigy isn't the problem, as I've determined and conveyed in a few previous thread. However, even if the Audigy had the loop, it will not not pass the electrical current across the RCAs.

Comment

why not a ground loop isolator?
            2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

Originally posted by binary.h4x
              why not a ground loop isolator?
              Tried the Radio Shack model - no workie for me...

Comment

the 510 is a great option on a budget.... there is also a much less known alpine piece called a h400 I belive..... it's just a x-over with optical input & rca outs.... also would work.... if you can find one of these it should be really cheap as most don't even know what to do with them.... there scarce though... 510 should be easy enough to find
                MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

It's the h600, and you're right.......it's nothing more than a phase crossover.

Comment

wasn't there an h400 also... I think I even have one or 2 somewhere...

Comment

Maybe the PRA-H400? I've seen that one around and yeah, I wasn't sure if I'd know what to do with it Seriously, though, that may be it, though they are going for close to what the 510 is going for - can't explain it....

Comment

that's the one...... they were a fourtune when they first came out..... but that's only because they were ahead of there time pretty much.... optical was really exotic when they first used it for a car anyway, today it's much more common....

Comment

The h600 won't allow to connect using digital and a non-ainet optical source.
                          Does someone is using the h510 with success with no alpine HU?? It doesn't seems to have option to select an external source from the remote...

Comment

I know the 700 does it for a fact... I always assumed the 510 to do it as well, but I never ran one non ai-net.... I'm pretty sure it does....

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
                              I know the 700 does it for a fact... I always assumed the 510 to do it as well, but I never ran one non ai-net.... I'm pretty sure it does....

I read that it does, but I've read otherwise as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X