Free Air Sub Question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Air Sub Question...

Hello all, I have an stock 8 inch sub in my rear deck and I'm looking to throw a better sub in there. Probably a 10 inch tops 12 inch if it fits. What are some of the better free air subs out there? Thanks .

Anyone know? I cant find much else besides kickers.

Comment

Image Dynamics make great free air subs. I have an Infinity Reference 10" DVC sub in my CTS rear deck right now with a 350W Alpine amp. It seems to be having no problems handling the power.

Comment

DLS OA Series. The OA10 would probably go in w/out too much hacking.

If you go that route know that the sheet metal in that area probably will flex like a mother as it's not that thick especially if you plan to put a real sub in there. Trunk torsion bars going to get in the way?? If it were me i'd take the carboard/fiberboard piece on your rear deck and put a layer of fiberglass + dynamat for rigidity and to cease any rattles on the bottom of it. If you don't want to cut the flimsy metal out i'd mount an MDF baffle to the underside of the deck, dynamat it and mount my sub to that. The top of the deck i'd dynmat the heck out of too. If you want to go a little more, cut out the sheetmetal but leave the ribs (braces) in the rear deck then once you mount the MDF from the bottom use fiberglass from the top to futher secure it to the frame then again dynmat it.

Comment

Hmm few things to consider, thanks to both for the info. You guys think it would be a better idea just to take out the factory sub and leave that space open, and just get like a single 12 in a box? Seems alot easier than trying to rig somethjing in the rear deck. Btw is the sound much different in the sub is in the deck or trunk? thanks again.

Comment

The sub will sound better in ur trunk in a rear-facing box. People hang subs from their rear deck to save trunk space, but they are limited to tiny subs that can't get as low.
            PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
            - Alpine W200/H701
            - ED Nine.2X
            - OZ Matrix Elites
            - ED Nine.1
            - Idmax 12's

Comment

cool, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 3onDubs
                People hang subs from their rear deck to save trunk space, but they are limited to tiny subs that can't get as low.
                I don't know about tiny i've got 2 12 in my rear deck but i've seen 3 12's, 4 10's, 1 15, and 1 18 in rear decks over the years none of the combos had any trouble producing subsonic frequences just like anything else some people swear by sealed others ported. IB can work very well it just depends on the subs used, the application, and what you're looking for beit SQ or ghettosled rattlin' bass.

For the original poster if you want something easy and clean by all means go with a sealed box to the manuf specs and you'll be bumping in no time.

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Comment

A "Free Air" configuration has its benefits, but is not the easiest way to achieve good results.
                    In general... I think of great low frequency extension, max SQ, and most room in the trunk... But with lower mechanical power handling and install complexity as the usual challenges.

Dave Hary's Audi S4
                    www.DesignTechNJ.com

glennQ

Comment

Now that a nice install I dont have the time or money for that kind of work...box will do just fine for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X