PSPRadio in my car while im driving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSPRadio in my car while im driving

Recently i stumbled upon PSPradio, i dont know if any of you are familiar with it, it basically streams radio to your psp through your home network...since ive gotten it, i find myself listening to it constantly, but you can only listen to it when your in your house, because the psp works through WiFi connection. ive been trying to figure out a way to listen to it while im in my car...i have a laptop if that means anything lol...would it be possible to get my home network on the laptop wirelessly? while im driving? and maybe get the psp to access it? i dunno just ideas...please help

If you were to set up a "mobile" wifi connection using an EVDO or EDGE card you could stream to the psp.
    CarPC v2: Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT, DW Housing, IBM R40, GPS, XM, StreetDeck

Comment

hmm interesting..please tell me how much setting sumthing up something like this would cost

Comment

50 bucks per month est. For radio and unlimited wireless internet in the EVDO area with verizon
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

plus of course a computer to share out the connection with. They are starting to come out with routers with built in GPRS/EDGE/EVDO/HSDP but im not sure they are out yet.

Looks to be between $250-600 for an all in one solution.

http://www.engadget.com/search/?q=junxion

Poor mans way = GC83 EDGE/GPRS PC Card, Already owned laptop, Wifi card and Adhoc connection to PSP. I'll get my PSP out and test with my setup.

Comment

wow, so this really is possible...please test it out, and get back to me with results...if all goes well, please let me know what i have to get, and what to do...sorry but im really bad with this kind of stuff.

oh, this is probably a stupid question, but is there a possible way to do this without having to pay for a monthly service? were those evdo cards or junxion box..or whatever, you have to pay monthly for those?

Comment

not to be mean, but yes it is a stupid question. were can you get bandwidth without a service fee? (as far as i know the ad based dial services no longer exist). No one is going to give you free bandwidth, let alone mobile bandwidth (not yet at least).

If you are only interested in streaming radio quality audio, EVDO/EDGE high speed service is not necesary (the $50/mo plans). lower speed mobile access is available and works fine for streaming audio. Depending on your mobile service provider, search for how to get internet access. i routinely stream internet radio using my verizon v710 (modem speed internet uses plan minutes only) tethered by bluetooth to my car pc. with your proposed setup you can not have a completely wireless solution, the audio out will still have to be a WIRED connection to your car stereo (the builin PSP speakers will not cut it in a moving car with open windows)

Ditch the PSP and find out how to hookup your laptop to your cell phone, then send the audio to your car. do you really want your shiny PSP rolling around your car or laying on the pasenger seat?

Comment

lol nah i was gunna buy a car mount for the psp, as for getting the music from the psp speakers, i was gunna get one of those radio transmittors..the reason i want the psp radio so bad, is because it streams Shoutcast radio...i read somewhere that it was better than XM an Sirius combined, which i can actually agree with because i have sirius in my house...i also forgot to mention, i have nextel cellphone..i should see if they have a wireless internet cellphone modem?..im not sure they offer anything like that, ill look into it..lol only if your positive it would stream the music good..

Otherwise ill look into the verizon wirless broadband on the laptop..and the wifi adapter....is that right?? lol

Comment

how much you willing to spend? are you against having a PC of any kind?

Comment

OK, I live in the UK, and at home I can get Shoutcast radio through WinAMP. So surely you should be able to hook up your phone to your laptop and do the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by d2.n
                      not to be mean, but yes it is a stupid question. were can you get bandwidth without a service fee? (as far as i know the ad based dial services no longer exist). No one is going to give you free bandwidth, let alone mobile bandwidth (not yet at least).

If you are only interested in streaming radio quality audio, EVDO/EDGE high speed service is not necesary (the $50/mo plans). lower speed mobile access is available and works fine for streaming audio. Depending on your mobile service provider, search for how to get internet access. i routinely stream internet radio using my verizon v710 (modem speed internet uses plan minutes only) tethered by bluetooth to my car pc. with your proposed setup you can not have a completely wireless solution, the audio out will still have to be a WIRED connection to your car stereo (the builin PSP speakers will not cut it in a moving car with open windows)

Ditch the PSP and find out how to hookup your laptop to your cell phone, then send the audio to your car. do you really want your shiny PSP rolling around your car or laying on the pasenger seat?
                      The problem with "modem speed" is that most of the streams are 128 Bitrate and there is no way you are going to get a stable stream over a laptop or PSP. If you drop down to one of the lower bitrates you arn't going to get the audio quality of XM/Other because they use a better compression for 64 bit streams.

I think the draw to the PSP is the nice small screen and PSPRadio. This program looks really good and for streaming radio is one of the best, and its portable. I dont think he planned on using the built in speakers, it does have a stereo plug...

Comment

Originally posted by mcfreak
                        I think the draw to the PSP is the nice small screen and PSPRadio. This program looks really good and for streaming radio is one of the best, and its portable. I dont think he planned on using the built in speakers, it does have a stereo plug...
                        yeah, i agree, i think that the interface, and the whole setup of the program is sick, and i find myself listening to it all the time..by the wayy did u test it out? if so, how did it go?

Originally posted by d2.n
                        how much you willing to spend? are you against having a PC of any kind?
                        well...i would like to only spend about 350..but ill spend more...as for having a pc in my car, i wouldnt mind at all...just my laptops battery only lasts a half hour for some reason...i guess id have to fix that before putting it in the car

Comment

With decent network connection. You can use winamp to get Shoutcast and XM http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ghlight=aol+xm.
                          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by fourtyonethirty
                            lol nah i was gunna buy a car mount for the psp, as for getting the music from the psp speakers, i was gunna get one of those radio transmittors..the reason i want the psp radio so bad, is because it streams Shoutcast radio...i read somewhere that it was better than XM an Sirius combined, which i can actually agree with because i have sirius in my house...i also forgot to mention, i have nextel cellphone..i should see if they have a wireless internet cellphone modem?..im not sure they offer anything like that, ill look into it..lol only if your positive it would stream the music good..

Otherwise ill look into the verizon wirless broadband on the laptop..and the wifi adapter....is that right?? lol
                            I see Matrix beat me to it, but if you're just after Shoutcast - get a cellphone data plan, a laptop and load Winamp on it. Winamp doesn't have to be the latest version either, I use 2.9xx version and I get streaming radio thru it just fine. Save your PSP for home use.
                            HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

yeah lol thats my backup plan...as of right now, im planning on getting verizon wireless broadband on the psp, an then getting a USB 802.11 A/B/G adapter...but once i have that, im not sure how to make that pick up the wifi from the psp, and connect

Comment

Working...
                              X