Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap Amp to replace the stock headunit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Amp to replace the stock headunit?

I have installed my Mac Mini into my car, and I have the touchscreen where the old headunit was. (double din size)

So now I need a cheap amplifier that can do what the headunit used to.

-I don't need 500-watts
    -I am not replacing my stock speakers.
    -I don't want to run wires to my trunk and back.
    -I do want to play music though my stock speakers from my Mac Mini.

Does anyone know of a cheap, yet good sound quality Amp?
    I can either buy two 2-channel amps, or a single 4-channel amp.

The sonic impact amp seems promising, but most all reviews say it's lacks bass. Mabye one step up from a Sonic Impact?

cheap yet good sq amp....those two usually are about as far opposite each other as you can get...usually, but not always

how much are you wanting to spend? because cheap to you might be expensive to others
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
      cheap yet good sq amp....those two usually are about as far opposite each other as you can get...usually, but not always
      Aint that the truth!

Try some of those four channels amp that Walmart have. Generally they have issues with noise. But, because you are going from your PC (in the trunk I presume?) to the amp(also in the trunk ) the chance for interference is very slim.

Comment

how cheap is cheap, as there are a couple good amps for sale in the classifieds.
        Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
        Genesis has speed
        Genesis has class
        Genesis sent money
        before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

WE ordered a cheap 4 channel amp. after tons of looking, the wife found an ok model online for under $60 delivered.
          2006 Honda Odyssey
          Lilliput 7inch touchscreen
          Travla C158 case
          VIA SP13000, 512mb ddr, 110Gb Hard Drive
          slot loading DVDROM/CDRW
          802.11B, Bluetooth, Wintvusb
          IG 3,01 NA
          Roadrunner
          A mile of wires and a ton of solder and a prayer or two.

Comment

WOW!

Do I dare ask what brand?
            Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Audiobahn is probably the cheapest brand I would actually recommend. The Audiobahn A6004T is only $154 at CarDomain.

There is cheaper stuff out there, especially if you go used, but I'm not going to put my seal of approval on them. You might be able to get a good deal from someone on the forum who has taken good care of their gear, but be carefull on eBay. It is flooded with refurbished and B-stock equipment.
              2003 Mazda Protege5 -- Clarion/DLS/Eclipse
              Click here for install photos!

Comment

Are any of these good?
                http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ry&id=cat03086

I have a 50% coupon from an employee as a gift, I'd like to put it to use, otherwise It'll end up being used entirely for cds
                1995 Ford Mustang Convertible
                DSATX | Shuttle XPC SN41G2Bv2 | 619GL-70NP | CF 1.6 (which is still unusable in the car!)

Comment

good for what? what are you trying to do?

you might want to start a new thread for something like this. People generally don't like others jumping into their thread to get their questions answered.

Jan Bennett

Comment

Look on ebay, be prepared to ! I got a refurbished (3months warranty) 200W Pioneer amp for I believe 29.99 buy it now. I also found a ~280W Sony (I know it is not the best choice for car audio) for 37.99 buy it now. Just make sure to get a well known car audio manufacturer, and stay away from those cheap *ss amps.
                    Asus MicroATX with GeFore 6100, Mobile Sempron 3300+, 1Gig Ram, 320GB 3.5" 7200UPM HDD, M2-ATX, Gain/Xenarc 7"

Fast IS my copilot

Comment

May i recommend a used A/D/S powerplate? Sevral models to chose from and people dont know what they are losing!

Alpine made a small 2 channel amplifier about the size of juice box. I have one laying around. Two of those would easily fit behind a radio in the dash.
                      Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                        good for what? what are you trying to do?

you might want to start a new thread for something like this. People generally don't like others jumping into their thread to get their questions answered.

Exactly what the OP was asking, and if they aren't, why?
                        DSATX | Shuttle XPC SN41G2Bv2 | 619GL-70NP | CF 1.6 (which is still unusable in the car!)

Comment

bump

Comment

just buy 2 MTXRT202's from Circuit City....very small amps....or you can find 'em online for alot cheaper...but i'm just sayin to buy 'em from Circuit City 'cause i work here :P i'm actually posting from work right now... =X

Comment

you can always go used for cheap,

since you're not going to replace the speakers and want good sq, take a look at david navone's amp-100:
                              http://www.autosound2000.com/linedrivers.htm

they are 2x20 wrms which is what you'd get out of any stock head unit but the specs on these are probably a lot better. plus you can hide these practically anywhere
                              New System in progress:
                              M10k
                              Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                              Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                              Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                              Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...
                              X