Can't find the "perfect" HU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find the "perfect" HU

I have been looking around for awile and have not been able to find exactly what I want. I am looking for a new HU to replace my cheap 3 year old Pioneer. I am looking for good sound quality and easy functionality. One thing I was considering was a built in slider EQ for ease of use. I can fit dual din units. I was also looking at Alpines. Any recomendations?

The higher model eclipse units have plenty of processing power, and have greate SQ.

CD8053, CD8454, CD8455, CD5000, CD7000 to name a few

Comment

Do you have a carputer? If so get an H701.
      PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
      - Alpine W200/H701
      - ED Nine.2X
      - OZ Matrix Elites
      - ED Nine.1
      - Idmax 12's

Comment

Some of the Nakamichi decks have adjustments on the face like that.

I am in the same search right now, and the Nakamichi CD 400 is one of the decks I am considering. Probably not what you are looking for, but who knows.

Matt

Edit:
        Ah, I guess it was just the CD 700II that had that feature, sorry.

Comment

eclipse radios > *

Comment

slider EQ? What is that?

The only brands I will consider for head units are Clarion, Eclipse, Alpine, Pioneer, and Nakamichi.
            2003 Mazda Protege5 -- Clarion/DLS/Eclipse
            Click here for install photos!

Comment

I dont have a carputer and by slider EQ I mean like 8 or 12 knobs to adjust the different bands. Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

That would be a graphic equalizer. Most head units these days have at least 3 bands to play with. Top-of-the line models have 30-bands or a parameteric EQ which allows you to adjust frequency, Q, and gain.

Comment

Originally posted by chuyler1
                  slider EQ? What is that?

The only brands I will consider for head units are Clarion, Eclipse, Alpine, Pioneer, and Nakamichi.
                  What about McIntosh, or that one Denon made for Rockford Fosgate? See, thats why you should never be so exclusive when talking about good brands, because their are always ones you forget

-Matt

Comment

Yeah...but there is a point when price exceeds value. Sure those units probably sound amazing, but the average listener won't be able to tell the difference and you'd need to spend an equal fortune on speakers and amps just to extract that amazing sound. I personally would not consider them in my head unit shopping list which is why I left them off.

Lets also not forget that more than half the people on this board would be connecting a carputer to the unit for playing mp3s (shudder). But I guess the cheapest thing on the market with aux-input would work fine for that.

Comment

Eclipse..

but I am biased
                      2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                      2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                      Sound Stage
                      Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Originally posted by 92stealthRT
                        I dont have a carputer and by slider EQ I mean like 8 or 12 knobs to adjust the different bands. Thanks for all the replies.

fyi: nobs are a thing of the past, most HUs do this on screen now.

and I'll second the 701

BUT if all you're looking for is a head unit, the new 2006 line-up of alpine stuff sucks. Look for a 2005 model in the upper end. Or even Eclipse, but their stuff has takena turn for the worse over the last 4 years.

All in all, asside from the uppper end companies, there's not a head unit out there that's being produced currently that tickles my fancy....thus the carPC

Jan Bennett
                        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I love my Alpine, ( CDA9847). I got mine for 180 I think. No big flashing light or tons of buttons. What you see is what you get. Its powerful, has Aux in, which I love for my Ipod, its SAT radio ready. I got pics and I can go into more detail if you like. I give it 5.5/5 stars, never misses a beat.
                          Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                          Kenwood X790 x/ iP500 Ipod Interface
                          Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 D2
                          CDT ES-620 (omg yayay!!!1)
                          NINe.2X, NINe.2

Comment

That Alpine isn't to bad. I will probably end up going with an older Alpine off ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by chuyler1
                              That would be a graphic equalizer. Most head units these days have at least 3 bands to play with. Top-of-the line models have 30-bands or a parameteric EQ which allows you to adjust frequency, Q, and gain.
                              Some people like to have easy to use sliders to control the equalizer, not menus and pushbuttons.
                              List of front-ends/usefull apps
                              XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Working...
                              X