Dimming headlights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimming headlights

Hey. I know you guys probably get asked this a lot. But I have a system as follows: Alpine 9831 deck-$400 last year, Alpine V12 600W rms amp-also $400, 2-12" type E subs, 4 gauge wiring kit, rockford speakers, and that's it. But when I turn my deck up to like 20ish during like rap songs, my lights dim out and if I go too high, my whole system turns off and starts back up again. WTF? lol. My question is.... what can I do to help this? I drive a '98 cavalier. I don't want to upgrade the alternator if I don't have to... would a capacitor be worth it? And how big of one would I need? Thanks.

get a cap like a couple farads... your system sounds wak though... did you do it yourself? you should have pros do it

Comment

Yes I did do it myself. It's all wired right and stuff. I had someone at Best buy check it. I work there. But he thinks it's because my battery drains dead and it takes a second to recharge it a bit. It's the originaly battery from my car. So it's probably a little worn. But you think a cap would help a lot?

Comment

dont get a cap a dry cell is much bettergo hear www.kinetikpower.com if you whant one i have a shop and can get you one much cheaper

Comment

asylum how much can u get a hc 2400 for? i had an optima battery yellow top for like 3 years and it just craped out on me i had to go back to stock batt. i was about to buy another optima but then i found out about these kinetik battery's through this post. They seem really interested.

Comment

a good dry cell battery + a 5 farad cap is best.
            want more go for an alternator upgrade, but i think teh bat & cap would be enough for you. they won't even take 15 min to install.

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
            CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
            Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

before doing a cap Id change that battery up front sure a cap would work but your still going to have the week battery up front and eventualy get the same problem. so Id say toss a new battery up front (preferably a gel cell) and that should cure the prob for the most part (you might still have a little light dimming and if you do thats when you should start looking into a cap or battery). your not pulling hellaish amps from the charging system that it should drop bellow 11volts when your driving. 11 volts is the point where the alpine radio will shut its self off
              Aron
              New Ipad
              Zapco DSP-6SL
              Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 right side
              Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 left side
              Zapco Reference 500.1: JL Audio 10W3V3 Stealth box

Comment

big 3.
                98 V6 Camry XLE
                Status-Everything is working again!
                No progress while I am in NYC
                Ze Worklog

Comment

as anshu mentioned

Big 3 link

I'd be SURE to do these as well as replace your battery with a good, high quality dry cell, kinetik or optima are both good.

stay away from caps, and as with every other thread on this topic, let's try and keep the debate about caps out, there are already plenty of threads about them out there...lol
                  Jan Bennett
                  FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                    stay away from caps, and as with every other thread on this topic, let's try and keep the debate about caps out, there are already plenty of threads about them out there...lol
                    Y R caps bad???

Final Touches

CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
                    Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

This should answer that question

http://www.vvoc.co.uk/forum/showpost...59&postcount=1
                      homebrew sound deadening + sub and amp install... 04 Dakota QC

fuel economy calculators

Comment

Originally posted by furball69
                        man, i really don't have time to sit and read all of that . maybe when i'm free. thanks anyways.

bottom line: caps are bad for the other lazy people like me

Final Touches

Comment

So I should get my battery checked, and if it's bad, I should buy a dry cell? or a gel cell? And is that really worth it?

Comment

get it tested, most auto parts stores will do it free

if need be, a Kintik or Optima would be the way to go

and YES, it REALLY is worth it, we're not just telling you this becase we like to see people blow money.
                            Jan Bennett
                            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by ramy_zohair
                              Y R caps bad???
                              His system is dimming the lights and shutting off because it's running out of power. Throw a cap in there, and it's just another device that the electrical system has to re-charge.

That's the less complicated version of it at least.
                              Take 2 - '03 Audi A4
                              macmini with an 8" widescreen (in progress)

My 2004 Ford Ranger:
                              14" LCD w/ custom made aluminum bezel
                              Completly custom computer case

Comment

Working...
                              X