Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundstage...

Hi,

I've got a 1990 Range Rover (you can see the dash etc in my sig), so hopefully you'll have some idea of where each bit goes. Sadly the 6.5"s can only go low in the doors, but I'm wondering if for the tweeters, it's better to have them off-axis (ie. point at the windscreen) and diffuse rather than right at me...anyone share the same opinion? surely this'd give a huge soundstage

L
    1996 Volvo 850 T5 CD - Eventually I'll start....

Installing the tweeters in the A-pilars is a very popular option. Just make the fire directly across the dash toward one another.

Before you go cutting holes, use some double-sided tape to experiment with tweeter mounting positions. After trying a few different places your ears will tell you which place sounds best.
    2003 Mazda Protege5 -- Clarion/DLS/Eclipse
    Click here for install photos!

Comment

a software-based channel delay would be sweet

Comment

Originally posted by Psychobiker
        Hi,

I've got a 1990 Range Rover (you can see the dash etc in my sig), so hopefully you'll have some idea of where each bit goes. Sadly the 6.5"s can only go low in the doors, but I'm wondering if for the tweeters, it's better to have them off-axis (ie. point at the windscreen) and diffuse rather than right at me...anyone share the same opinion? surely this'd give a huge soundstage

L
        it totally depends on the tweeters themselves. My Berylliums for instance work better 10-15 degrees on axis, some work better off.

You will have to put them up there and play with it. Talking to someone in the know about each specific tweeter is also helpful.
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Psychobiker
          a software-based channel delay would be sweet
          are you referring to time correction?

btw - pointing stright to each other is not always the best option.

Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

dont reflect them, i.e. point them at the front of the car, off the windshield, it sounds so odd, you wont like it.
            (All done)
            iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

again, depends on the tweeters and the vehicle

many vehicles and tweeters work better this way, it will help to deepen the sound stage but you also risk making the stage seem more narrow.
              Jan Bennett

Comment

I've seen them put flat on the dash, facing up and reflecting off the windshield. Tweeters are quite directional and the sound can be broken up easily if placed in the wrong position, definitely want them close to ear level if you have the option.

Kinda hard to do in a car, with tweeters, but one method of speaker placement is to put the speaker in the listening position and go around the soundstage area and see where it sounds best and put it there, facing the opposite direction.
                homebrew sound deadening + sub and amp install... 04 Dakota QC

fuel economy calculators

Comment

Like Red said, it depends on the tweeter and what it was designed for. CDT has an upstage kit that has its own (imaging) slot on the crossover that is supposed to be aimed at the windsheild. Most tweeters, however, are designed to be played facing the listener...it all depends on the tweet.
                  PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                  - Alpine W200/H701
                  - ED Nine.2X
                  - OZ Matrix Elites
                  - ED Nine.1
                  - Idmax 12's

Comment

make sure you correct for the tweeters being out of phase if you bounce htem off the windshield. aslo if you have a soundblaster pci card you can get the kxproject drivers and the time delay plug in. i had this in my old setup and it worked well. but as anything...proper installation is the key. then refine it with the software if needed.
                    New System in progress:
                    M10k
                    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

I have an external soundblaster...eah they're Rainbow tweeters, so I'll ask over sounddomain.com and check myselgf

cheers

L

Comment

which rainbows?

I ran 'bows for a while is why I ask.
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

SLX 265 Deluxe's

Comment

the kx Project don't work with my sound card !

Comment

scott_fx mentioned it if you have a PCI sound card, you have a USB (external) one, right?
                              Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                              X