1/3 Octave Software EQ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/3 Octave Software EQ

I've searched and the old threads (2003 and before) say to stay away from software-based EQ's because of high CPU usage. There's also some mention of Winamp EQ's adding noise to the system. That said, does anybody have experience with a competition-quality 1/3 octave software equalizer? I have experience with Audio Control's excellent products, but want to keep this in the computer for space reasons, to keep the signal digital and to keep everything in one touchscreen-based interface.

I've found a few close matches:

This by Anwidasoft (Only 15 band, plus it seems to be discontinued)
    This by PAS (Never heard of the company...might be German. Software might be overkill/more than I want)
    For sale:
    AOpen Pandora MiniPC

Bump!

I'd like to know too!
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Anwidasoft claims that their 30 band GEQ plugin will run on a P200 w/ 32MB RAM.
      http://www.anwida.com/product.asp?pid=11

They also have a PEQ standalone product with the same requirements...
      http://www.anwida.com/product.asp?pid=6

I've been lurking around this forum for a while but I haven't made the plunge yet. What I'm missing is crossover software.
      2003 Mazda Protege5 -- Clarion/DLS/Eclipse
      Click here for install photos!

Comment

nice finds there chuyler, I'm going to spend some time reading up on their products!
        Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

another thing I'd like to find is software to do crossover points for each channel....do you know off the top of your head if this company offers this?
          Jan Bennett

Comment

That's where I'm stuck also. I'd love to use a 6.1 sound card for a 7-ch (2highs/2mids/2midbass/1bass) fully active SQ setup.

Comment

You can do this all digitally with the H701...and it will be much better than software...it is a very small device and shouldn't take any space.
              PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
              - Alpine W200/H701
              - ED Nine.2X
              - OZ Matrix Elites
              - ED Nine.1
              - Idmax 12's

Comment

I posted in the general hard ware section asking if there were a sound card out there that has RCA outs directly on it. If I could find that (with enough juice from those RCA outs) then moving to a software set-up like this company offers would be very tempting!
                Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by 3onDubs
                  You can do this all digitally with the H701...and it will be much better than software...it is a very small device and shouldn't take any space.
                  We know you can do it digitally, however, we're interested in other options as well.
                  Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                    We know you can do it digitally, however, we're interested in other options as well.
                    Oh....oops. I know you knew, but i was wondering if chuyler or quack have had any experience with one (in the meantime until they find another solution). I would still personally prefer the volume nob to none.

@Red: don't mean to be off topic, but do you know if using a soundcard like yours with an optical out is better than using the M10K's onboard spidf out?
                    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                    - Alpine W200/H701
                    - ED Nine.2X
                    - OZ Matrix Elites
                    - ED Nine.1
                    - Idmax 12's

Comment

I specifically didn't want to use the SPDIF from the board because it was going to require a converter, not a huge fan of that, just one more conversion in the line-up. I'm sure it will work fine though.

as for the volume knob...can still controll that via a wired knob...some of the ones like people are using here via USB or otherwise.
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                        I specifically didn't want to use the SPDIF from the board because it was going to require a converter, not a huge fan of that, just one more conversion in the line-up. I'm sure it will work fine though.

as for the volume knob...can still controll that via a wired knob...some of the ones like people are using here via USB or otherwise.
                        Yeah, that's true...but i've gotten used to it (the headunit feel...and subwoofer controls)..lol.
                        PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                        - Alpine W200/H701
                        - ED Nine.2X
                        - OZ Matrix Elites
                        - ED Nine.1
                        - Idmax 12's

Comment

I'm talking with a friend of mine concerning the differences (advantages/disadvantages) of using the pro audio software and a high end sound card over using the alpine piece.

is response was that using the software would ONLY be a better option if internal components were better on the computer/sound card than on the alpine. I.e Better opamps, DA converters and such.

this guy is in a band that's been signed by kick dog records out of houston, and he's a well known installer competing in the Expert class in USACi as well as IASCA.
                          Jan Bennett

Comment

I also am aware of the H701 and other digital options...but that brings another unit into the signal path and into my car. I'm sure there are sound cards available with the quality of sound comparable to Alpine's processor. The trick is to get that sound directly to the amps without any equipment in between. I could always use an analog crossover but then I wouldn't be able to adjust things from the driver's seat.

Let me paint a picture...and I think Red might be looking for the same thing. A carputer with all your music on the hard drive, a 30-band eq, a fully customizable crossover with 6+ channels of output, RTA software, and a high end microphone input for tweeking your system. You could tune your system at a stop light or in rush hour traffic!

Comment

But isn't a sound card another device along the signal path...same thing...the H701 is my soundcard....and it actually improves the weak .2V signal coming out of the computer, giving you 4V...wouldn't that be better?
                              PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                              - Alpine W200/H701
                              - ED Nine.2X
                              - OZ Matrix Elites
                              - ED Nine.1
                              - Idmax 12's

Comment

Working...
                              X