subs and Computers? do they mix?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subs and Computers? do they mix?

Well i know harddrives have this little problem with high powered magnets. Is there an issues with having a computer in the gerenal location of subs?

I was looking to put 2 10 in my trunk and hten install a Car-Pc about 1/2 a foot away. and all all built into the walls. or do i need to rethink this?
    Just cuase I ask questions, doesn't mean I stop looking for an answer.

Grand AM GT
    Plans:
    7" touch screen
    1.3 ghz laptop (win XP)
    replacing the stock sound.
    red ground effects
    wireless keyboard, mouse and remote.
    GPS,Bluetooth,Wi-FI,FM tuner.

Yes, it will work...but you will have to do the following 3 things:

1. Use a laptop hard drive

2. Properly deaden the surface behind and around the pc.

3. Hold a screw half a foot away from your subs and slightly above their height level...drop the screw...if it hits the ground you're good to go. If it gets sucked onto the sub magnet, then you're going to have to move the computer further away.
    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
    - Alpine W200/H701
    - ED Nine.2X
    - OZ Matrix Elites
    - ED Nine.1
    - Idmax 12's

Comment

sub magnets, depending on size can have magnetic fields well over 6 inches. I almost buggered up a CRT by sitting a sub in my lap and searching on the internet....

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze2112
        sub magnets, depending on size can have magnetic fields well over 6 inches. I almost buggered up a CRT by sitting a sub in my lap and searching on the internet....
        haha the crt may not be the only thing buggered up by having a sub on your lap... who knows what those magnents can do...
        nGhost - The FREE Frontend for Linux | Graphics Developer
        Linux ICE - The Car PC Distro | Team Member

Comment

Originally posted by Eubey
          haha the crt may not be the only thing buggered up by having a sub on your lap... who knows what those magnents can do...
          Could be a good thing if you don't want kids i guess.....LOL

Comment

Be careful with it.

The screw test mentioned above is a good idea.

One of our QC guys had his laptop sitting on a pile of subs, was on a box, so at least 6" from the magnets. Left it there overnight, didn't have anything recoverable in the morning.
            Chris Schempp
            Elemental Designs

Scion tC in progress

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze2112

Technically, the magnetic fields extend to an infinite distance. Either way, I've found that CRTs are affected LONG before hard drives. Working at a particle accelerator, every CRT in the place would get a purple hue when the main magnets were ramped, but there were hard drives which ran for years while all this was going on.
              MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
              Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

Comment

my computer is attached to my subbox. No issues.
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

the screw drop isn't acurate enough... the best way to really check is to dangle a washer on a string, if theres any pull at all you should see it..
                  MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

It is completely a function of distance but the good news is that the field drops off pretty fast (as the square of the distance) as you move farther away. I killed my Tivo by setting it on its side next to my TV which has speakers built into the side. When it died I had to think about how speakers and hard drives get along together. hehe. Not well.

My computer is about 3' from my 12" sub. I don't expect any problems.
                    My Work Thread:
                    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72552
                    Source switcher for Lill
                    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...d=1#post841007

Comment

Originally posted by 3onDubs
                      1. Use a laptop hard drive
                      I don't think this is so much important. There have been debates raging for pages upon pages upon pages on this very topic, and not a solid conclusion has been come to yet.
                      Jan Bennett
                      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I also forgot to add that you should perform the "screw test" when the sub is in the sub box (as it would be in the car)....basically, just make sure that the magnetic pull is not significant enough to move a small object.
                        PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                        - Alpine W200/H701
                        - ED Nine.2X
                        - OZ Matrix Elites
                        - ED Nine.1
                        - Idmax 12's

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
                          the screw drop isn't acurate enough... the best way to really check is to dangle a washer on a string, if theres any pull at all you should see it..
                          Turbocad is right...this is a much better method. Why didn't i think of that?
                          PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                          - Alpine W200/H701
                          - ED Nine.2X
                          - OZ Matrix Elites
                          - ED Nine.1
                          - Idmax 12's

Comment

I'm using a 3.5 hard drive mounted on a bracket that is screwed directly to my sub enclosure for over a year now with no problems.

Comment

i eat subs in my truck next to my computer all the time they wont do any damage... should be ok

thank you come again

Comment

Working...
                              X