• Show
Clear All

• whats the best way to wire these subs/amp

I got this amp right before i quit best buy
    Amp

and I'm planning on buying 4 of these subs
    Subs

whats the best way to wire these to get the most out of my subs

2 on each channel as parallel or series?

this is my first time installing subs, thats why i want to get the input of the people here

thanks for your advice.

i dont know why you would want that many 8" subs in your car but thats up to you.
    To hook up those subs, 2 of them would be on each channel creating a 2 ohm load giving 150w rms to each sub.
    "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
    "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
    [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

Two 12's will give you more surface area than four 8's, take up about the same amount of space, and the 12's will produce better low end frequencies. I'd go with 2 dual 4 Ohm voice coil 12's; voice coils wired in parallel, will give you two 2 Ohm loads @ 300 W each.
      homebrew sound deadening + sub and amp install... 04 Dakota QC

fuel economy calculators

Comment

I have 2 X 15s

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
        CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
        Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

With those 4 ohms subs you'd be getting 150 watts X 2. If you got 2 ohm subs, you can get 300 X 2.

Actually, since you have four, you can wire two on each channel and send 150 watts to each sub wich is only 50 watts less then their rms.
          PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
          - Alpine W200/H701
          - ED Nine.2X
          - OZ Matrix Elites
          - ED Nine.1
          - Idmax 12's

Comment

i would set them up like this. i added the impedance to the diagram to help explane how it works.
            this way should give about 150rms to each sub which will be good.
            Attached Files

Comment

thank you for all your input

the reasoning behind getting 4 8" subs is because...

I have an xterra, and granted it has a lot of trunk space, I actually use it a lot, and need all the trunk space i can get, installing 2 12"s would take up a good amount of space one one side, and i can't load what i need to.

the subs i mentioned have a mounting depth of 4" which i will place them facing upward, and raise my whole trunk level 4", which will keep the same surface area of my trunk just elevated. Does that make sense?

i know that 2 12"s would give more surface area, and be able to play a much lower frequency better and be louder, i know, but these were my reasonsings, and i'm not that picky on how loud it is or how low it goes, as long as it sounds clean and clear.

Comment

This 12 has a 3 1/4" mounting depth.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...etailComponent
                homebrew sound deadening + sub and amp install... 04 Dakota QC

fuel economy calculators

Comment

8" will give a better quality & controlled sound. 4 of them will be great. Rockfords , you can't go wrong with them.

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
                  CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
                  Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

holy crap, those 12's look nice...now i'm torn...why would you do this to me?
                    which would be cleaner, 2 12's, or 4 8's, and would that amp suffice for the 2 12's?

Comment

they also have a 10" model pioneer *tear* im so lost now

Comment

first of all the rockford subs will hit harder and louder than any pioneer on the market. If you go with the 4 8" subs you can use the amp in its bridged mode to get 300 wats per sub. Also if you already have the amp you may have noticed that it is much more powerful that it is rated. Rockford tends to under rate there amps by up to 40%. The subs should be wired like this:
                        Amp (bridged)
                        + -
                        | |____ -(sub 1)+_____-(sub 3)+__
                        | | | | | |
                        | -(sub 2)+ -(sub 4)+ |
                        |_______________________________|
                        i guess that this diagram wont come out right.

this will be a 4 ohm load assuming all of the subs are 4 ohm subs

I would really recomend two 10" p3's over the eights. But if you want eights then you should really go with JL eights they will sound better than any rockford sub and will cost about the same.
                        I recomend these subs:
                        http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=22
                        http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=19
                        http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=1

Comment

the rockfords subs will be better than the pinoeers

Comment

i was just talking to the hardest hitting 6x9 page then i was readingf this page so here is another option for you to consider
                            earthquake specs for you from thier site http://www.earthquakesound.com/mobileproducts.htm
                            SWS-6.5" 200watt Max 1 3/4" mounting depth 1 1/4" long throw excursion
                            SWS-8" 300watt Max 2 1/8" mounting depth 1.5" long throw excursion
                            SWS-10" 400watt Max 2 11/16" mounting depth 1.75" long throw excursion
                            SWS-12" 600watt Max 3" mounting depth 2" long throw excursion
                            so the box should be able to fit almost anywhere with that shallow of mounting depth

Comment

just for the record i messed up the link yesterday here is the correct one
                              http://www.earthquakesound.com/SWS04.htm
                              sorry all about that mix up

Comment

Working...
                              X