Amp Shock....HELP, please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Shock....HELP, please.

Hey, I had a setup in my car with just one 4 channel amp.

I went to new york and my cuz gave me his old amp that he said was broken. I hooked it up for the hell of it when I got home, it worked!! But...

Even the slightest shock turns it to protect mode for a few seconds. This makes it unuseable obviously.

What can be causing this, and how can I fix it? it sounds much better then the amp I have now(when it doesnt turn off and on).

Thanx.

P.S. It is a Kicker Impulse 352xi amp, if anyone needs that to answer the question.

CAn you define "shock".

Are you talking electrical shock or bumps/tapping or what?

Gonna have to assume you mean bumps and probably means something is loose and grounding out against something it shouldn't be touching. Could be anything. If you get it solved, it'll probably be a good amp, because of the protection circuitry.
    homebrew sound deadening + sub and amp install... 04 Dakota QC

fuel economy calculators

Comment

i'd say tear it open and check for any loose components, maybe there is a badly soldered lead
      New System in progress:
      M10k
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
      Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
      Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Opener up
        PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
        - Alpine W200/H701
        - ED Nine.2X
        - OZ Matrix Elites
        - ED Nine.1
        - Idmax 12's

Comment

K, im heading to vball game, then I will open it up again, didnt see anything the first time i checked tho.

Comment

Shaker around and see if anything is loose
            PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
            - Alpine W200/H701
            - ED Nine.2X
            - OZ Matrix Elites
            - ED Nine.1
            - Idmax 12's

Comment

gently tap components with the plastic end of a screwdriver
              Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

Send it to yourself using UPS and make sure u tell them how much it's worth...
                PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                - Alpine W200/H701
                - ED Nine.2X
                - OZ Matrix Elites
                - ED Nine.1
                - Idmax 12's

Comment

I think it might be overheating within seconds, could it be a temperature sensor is shot?(is there even such thing?)

Comment

If there is a loose ground connection anywhere in the amp, this will cause the amp to quickly overheat. Open the amp up and follow the ground lead (starting from the connection terminal). Make sure that the ground on both ends of that is secure and there is no room for wiggle.
                    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                    - Alpine W200/H701
                    - ED Nine.2X
                    - OZ Matrix Elites
                    - ED Nine.1
                    - Idmax 12's

Comment

Originally posted by robozapian
                      I think it might be overheating within seconds, could it be a temperature sensor is shot?(is there even such thing?)

nah, not really
                      Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

Originally posted by robozapian

nah, not really

Comment

no temp sensor, but the protection circut will essentially do teh same thing.

most any decent amp on the market will have protection built in.

Honnestly, if it doesn't, it's crap.

In fact, i'd be willing to say that instead of saying

good amp, because of the protection circuitry.
                          I'd rather say:

if it doesn't have protection circuitry, it's a crappy amp.

if you can make the distinction there.

i'd venture to bet that, as the others have said, there's something internal that's no longer making a solid connection.

check all of the solder joints (this COULD take a while).
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I opened it up......and found that theres a half inch long, millimeter wide black charred gouge thing. Is there any way to fix that?

Comment

Pics? Even better; in focus pics. IE, use the macro setting when taking close-ups of circuit boards... Not sure I recall ever seeing a 'gouge thing' inside an amp.
                              homebrew sound deadening + sub and amp install... 04 Dakota QC

fuel economy calculators

Comment

Working...
                              X