Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alpine pxa-h700/701 distortion

Hey guys,

I finally went fully digital (was running anolog in for a while until i had time to load the drivers, etc...) and now i'm getting this digital distortion. I know it must be a setting but i cant figure it out. has anyone had this problem?
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

What does it sound like?
    2007 Tahoe
    Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

Hey Scott....are you using a soundcard with an optical out going to your alpine? I tried this route and had lots of distortion...i then ditched the sound card and used the onboard spidf out -> converter -> H701 and the noise went away.

The problem is probably a software setting on the soundcard, but i was happy to get rid of it (one less component to slow me down).
      PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
      - Alpine W200/H701
      - ED Nine.2X
      - OZ Matrix Elites
      - ED Nine.1
      - Idmax 12's

Comment

i actually have the same converter as you (i think)

the distortion kind of sounds like the music is streaming from a lower bandwidth connection (think about real audio back when you had a 56k modem)
        New System in progress:
        M10k
        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

hmm...it could be an audio driver issue. I remember reading a post on something similar and it was solved by downloading the audio codecs from the via arena website.

Also...i had a question about the converter. Can it affect sq or is it just a translator?
          PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
          - Alpine W200/H701
          - ED Nine.2X
          - OZ Matrix Elites
          - ED Nine.1
          - Idmax 12's

Comment

well, from my experience with video, digital is digital. you either have a 1 or a 0. so it's either there or it isn't. the only way it can affect sound quality is if it's upsampling or downsampling (thats what i'm thinking is the problem with mine) and then you're adding in distortion there. it's interpolating what goes between the samples and that will give you and aliasing on the soundwave...for lack of a better description.

I think i remembered reading about the drivers as well, just didnt come across much with my specific problem with the searches that i tried. I'll download them tonight and try to get them installed.
            New System in progress:
            M10k
            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

The reason i asked about the converter is because mine is getting 14V with the car on...lol. It works fine, but i was just wondering if i could be causing it to behave sub-optimally.

When i installed my drivers, i followed that online guide thing step by step, and it worked for me. I installed that AC3filter and the audio codec from that page also. The only other things i installed on my via were the sound drivers that came with its original cd. I would play a song in winamp and media player to make sure that they sound the same.

Another stupid question (but it happened to me, so ill ask): Did you make sure to select the correct input for the optical in?
              PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
              - Alpine W200/H701
              - ED Nine.2X
              - OZ Matrix Elites
              - ED Nine.1
              - Idmax 12's

Comment

it very well could be the driver. I have experienced crappy tinny sound cause of the driver.

Try the using the onboard with the realtek AC97 driver. Search the forums. It will work with the via boards
                -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

thanks guys, I'll have to install the drivers this weekend. hopefully this will work. it's only going to be a temporary thing since i'm going dsp-less when i finally get my echo soundcard. I would just go back to analog for the time being but i want to make a fair comparison between the two.

I did follow that online guide as well, maybe i missed a step or my drivers are old like you guys said. i'll report back on monday. thanks again
                  New System in progress:
                  M10k
                  Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                  My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

that was it, just unstalled the latest driver and it worked.

thanks guys
                    New System in progress:
                    M10k
                    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
                      only going to be a temporary thing since i'm going dsp-less when i finally get my echo soundcard.
                      Hey Scott which Echo did you go with? i need something improved over my current SBlive but I need 2 line in, FM and XM.

Rick

Comment

i've decided on the echo gina because it is everything i need (i think) at a good price. it only has one spdif in and a set of analog inputs (they are xlr inputs but can be converted to unbalanced rca inputs)

the great thing about echo cards are they are rated at 5.75volts! this beats the alpine unit in that respect...but alpine has all the great tuning features.

concerning the sb live...do you run the kxdrivers? i noticed a huge difference with those installed and also noticed a huge difference when i got a linedriver/x-over (audiocontrol 24xs) even though i used it for a month or so and now it's sitting in my room.

some other cards to look into are the emu cards... they got great reviews. or the m-audio card. (i have the audiophile 192 also just sitting in my room...one day i'll be happy with my sound device :-)
                        New System in progress:
                        M10k
                        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

i just won an echo gina on ebay. I'l report back wheni get it all hooked up.
                          New System in progress:
                          M10k
                          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

please do!

glad to hear you got the distortion figured out!
                            Jan Bennett
                            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Not to go completely off-topic, but what did you do to go digital? Your amp is still analog and you use a DAC, or do you have a true full digital setup?
                              Doko ni datte, hito wa tsunagatte iru...

My BMW 335xi install
                              My Subaru Impreza install (now retired...)
                              Realtime audio freestyle hiphop battles online - www.letsbeef.com!

Comment

Working...
                              X