Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Chamber or Dual?

Which is louder? Which sounds better?

I have the option of either having a single chambered box with one tuned slot port or i can have two seperate chambers, each ported. Which is generally preferred?
    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
    - Alpine W200/H701
    - ED Nine.2X
    - OZ Matrix Elites
    - ED Nine.1
    - Idmax 12's

Use a dual chamber box with tuned dual reflex bandpass enclosure, advantage of this design are a high efficiency over a small range of frequencies and some filtering characteristics, but is extremely complex in design and assembly.
    Good luck.
    The old setup http://flickr.com/photos/ilyassx
    The new setup http://my.opera.com/ilyassx/albums/show.dml?id=110701
    Jetway J7F2WE VIA C7 1.5 GHz
    512 DDRII 533
    3.5" SATA2 H.D.D 200GB
    M1-ATX
    ELM327MS OBDII
    Creative Audigy 4
    PROGRESS:[########-]90%

Comment

Yeah, I would also go with the dual chamber, its what I have always had. With one big chamber, to me it sounds too big. I wouldn't do bandpass if you want solid bass. If you want bass to be rather tight, but still have that massive pound(when desired) go with vents. Thats my suggestion anyway.

Comment

I'm definitely going ported, but i was just torn on which box to use.

I've been doing some reading and this is what i've gathered...

It appears that with two chambers...if you blow one sub, the other sub will still play fine...whereas with one chamber, the working sub will basically be operating in free-air and possible blow.

The center divider in a dual chamber also acts as a good support for the box...limiting the flex.

With a single chamber, you only need one port and this is better for space restriction reasons.

That's all i was able to find, but nothing on the actual sound quality difference.
        PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
        - Alpine W200/H701
        - ED Nine.2X
        - OZ Matrix Elites
        - ED Nine.1
        - Idmax 12's

Comment

Yeah, that is correct. If you are a SQ buff, which from what I gathered, you are. I would go for dual chamber. IF you have the room.

Comment

Thanks Tibby....i'll probably go with the dual. I had another question that doesn't deserve it's own thread. Does a slanted-back box perform or sound any differently than a straight back box? The reason i ask is because i can get an extra cubic foot out of the triangle that the slant makes, and that would save me a ton of trunk space (my new box is gonna be pretty big).
            PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
            - Alpine W200/H701
            - ED Nine.2X
            - OZ Matrix Elites
            - ED Nine.1
            - Idmax 12's

Comment

Won't matter, just be sure to match the specs of the sub to the cubic foot or airspace, or you won't get the full potential out of the subs.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTibby04
                Won't matter, just be sure to match the specs of the sub to the cubic foot or airspace, or you won't get the full potential out of the subs.
                Thanks for the advice...i ended up opting for a slanted, dual chamber box with round ports. Its going to be built to spec for my subs....i'll post pics when i get the actual box.
                PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                - Alpine W200/H701
                - ED Nine.2X
                - OZ Matrix Elites
                - ED Nine.1
                - Idmax 12's

Comment

nobody asked the most important question about amp wiring . If the subs are on the same channel u want them in a common cavity even with multiple ports. Think of it this way if you are using a single common amplifier channel the drivers act concurently as one driver.If you use one channel and two cabinets and the volumes are not exact there will be disparity in pressure on the back wave causing uneven power distribution. It gets more complicated but I believe that I have said enough. I'm not trying to step on anyones toes nor am I an expert at carputers but I have been building and installing car audio for about 16 years all the way back to my first Blaupunkt New York in 1988 ...Sorry I'm ranting anyway if you use seperate channels then dual chambers are fine. IMHO

Blessings

Comment

I always use dual chamber but i usually have a dedicated amp for each sub. Im not quite sure what brill is talking about but i think its like running it in mono vs stereo.

Comment

Originally posted by Brill
                      nobody asked the most important question about amp wiring . If the subs are on the same channel u want them in a common cavity even with multiple ports. Think of it this way if you are using a single common amplifier channel the drivers act concurently as one driver.If you use one channel and two cabinets and the volumes are not exact there will be disparity in pressure on the back wave causing uneven power distribution. It gets more complicated but I believe that I have said enough. I'm not trying to step on anyones toes nor am I an expert at carputers but I have been building and installing car audio for about 16 years all the way back to my first Blaupunkt New York in 1988 ...Sorry I'm ranting anyway if you use seperate channels then dual chambers are fine. IMHO

Blessings
                      that is a great piece of information! thanks for the post
                      New System in progress:
                      M10k
                      Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                      Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                      Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                      Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

I too don't really know what Brill is talking about. Just as long as the subwoofers are together, it does not matter if they share the same airspace or not. If the subwoofers are not on the same plane, then cancelation could occur. But even so, being in a car, it is hard to calculate the actual cancelation for multiple subwoofers.

---
                        EDIT: I re-read the post, and I get it now. I skipped over the "If you use... two cabinets and the volumes are not exact" part. But this is getting picky. It is like saying "No, to be properly tuned to exactly xx hz, you need to have a 5.3 inch port, not a 5.25 inch port!"
                        ---

Each sub having its own chaimber seems to make the most sense to me, but in a vented situation, I do not think it would matter too much if one of the two subs blew. You would still have the same tuneing frequency, overall SPL would drop slightly, gain would increase slightly at lower frequencies, little bit more dynamic group delay. Of course, that is only if the blown sub completely siezed up. If the cone could still be moved effortlessly, but just did not play music, then it would get quite complex, being the blown sub would act sorta like a passive radiator. And true, having a subwoofer in twice the box volume it was made for could approach free air conditions, but that would depend on the vas of the subwoofer. So dual chaimber is safer, but what are you doing blowing subs?

Here is a dual chaimber ported box I made for a friend...
                        http://personalwebs.oakland.edu/~mrb.../10s/index.php
                        Dual chaimber worked well here, but a single chaimber could have given him a little more trunk space (well that along with the removal of the alley, but it worked out fine). My reccommendation (although not needed anymore) is to always have each sub in its own chaimber, but would not see a single chaimber to be a problem at all.

-Matt

Comment

Here's the finished box... http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...=154524&page=2

Thanks for all the input...
                          PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                          - Alpine W200/H701
                          - ED Nine.2X
                          - OZ Matrix Elites
                          - ED Nine.1
                          - Idmax 12's

Comment

Nice job, keep up the good work.
                            The old setup http://flickr.com/photos/ilyassx
                            The new setup http://my.opera.com/ilyassx/albums/show.dml?id=110701
                            Jetway J7F2WE VIA C7 1.5 GHz
                            512 DDRII 533
                            3.5" SATA2 H.D.D 200GB
                            M1-ATX
                            ELM327MS OBDII
                            Creative Audigy 4
                            PROGRESS:[########-]90%

Comment

Thanks...i didn't build the box though...somebody with much more experience did....that's his work log.
                              PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                              - Alpine W200/H701
                              - ED Nine.2X
                              - OZ Matrix Elites
                              - ED Nine.1
                              - Idmax 12's

Comment

Working...
                              X