will this overpower subs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will this overpower subs?

Alright my mono amp puts out 1200 watts rms at 1 ohm. Im planning to upgrade my subs to a pair of 12 inch jl w6v2's. They each can handle 400 watts rms. My wiring configurations for a pair of 4 ohm dvc on each sub are 1 ohm, 4 ohm, and 16 ohm. The 1 ohm configuation is the only one that puts out at least 800 watts rms.

Anyways if i keep the bass dB down on the amp, will i still risk damaging the subs? Keep in mind im not a competitor and won't ever been turning the volume up full blast.

Also one more question... if an amp is stable a 1, 2, and 4 ohm.... it is also stable at 1.5, and 3 ohm correct?

Comment

Originally posted by zzachattack2
      Alright my mono amp puts out 1200 watts rms at 1 ohm. Im planning to upgrade my subs to a pair of 12 inch jl w6v2's. They each can handle 400 watts rms. My wiring configurations for a pair of 4 ohm dvc on each sub are 1 ohm, 4 ohm, and 16 ohm. The 1 ohm configuation is the only one that puts out at least 800 watts rms.

Anyways if i keep the bass dB down on the amp, will i still risk damaging the subs? Keep in mind im not a competitor and won't ever been turning the volume up full blast.
      If you keep The bass down on the amp between -3db and 0db (-2db recommended), you have no risk, but careful if someone turn up the volume too high maybe dammage your sub's.
      Good luck.
      The old setup http://flickr.com/photos/ilyassx
      The new setup http://my.opera.com/ilyassx/albums/show.dml?id=110701
      Jetway J7F2WE VIA C7 1.5 GHz
      512 DDRII 533
      3.5" SATA2 H.D.D 200GB
      M1-ATX
      ELM327MS OBDII
      Creative Audigy 4
      PROGRESS:[########-]90%

Comment

Thanks.... i was actually just searching around and somebody claimed that before jl audio will release any sub model, they will pound it with twice its rated power for 24 hours straight.... If it does fail... the sub is good, if it does... its back to the drawing boards. Anybody know if this is true.

EDIT: should be doesn't fail right before "the sub is good"

Comment

Thanks.... i was actually just searching around and somebody claimed that before jl audio will release any sub model, they will pound it with twice its rated power for 24 hours straight.... If it does fail... the sub is good, if it does... its back to the drawing boards. Anybody know if this is true.
          It's a normal procedure, before release any electronics stuff or any machine they have to stress it to determine the max capability and fidelity.
          JL is a great music brand.
          The old setup http://flickr.com/photos/ilyassx
          The new setup http://my.opera.com/ilyassx/albums/show.dml?id=110701
          Jetway J7F2WE VIA C7 1.5 GHz
          512 DDRII 533
          3.5" SATA2 H.D.D 200GB
          M1-ATX
          ELM327MS OBDII
          Creative Audigy 4
          PROGRESS:[########-]90%

Comment

Which amp do you have?

My ED Nine.1 is rated at 1200 watts at 1 ohm, but at 14V (car running) it puts out closer to 1450 watts. If you have a good amp, it's probably underrated. Either way, you shouldn't have a problem with those jl's as long as you keep your gains down and don't use any bass boosters on the amp.
            PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
            - Alpine W200/H701
            - ED Nine.2X
            - OZ Matrix Elites
            - ED Nine.1
            - Idmax 12's

Comment

For now its a hifonics brutus, 1200 watts at 1 ohm (im guessing at 14.4v as well.) Im thinking of upgrading to a better amp though, how do you like the ED Nine.1? Looks like its a good price.

Also for the RMS value of an amp is that assuming the gains are ALL the way up? So if i turn my head unit up all the way at 5volts output and the amp takes 6 volts max for gains (and i have it at 5 volts of course) its not going to output the full 1200 watts is it?

Comment

For now its a hifonics brutus, 1200 watts at 1 ohm (im guessing at 14.4v as well.) Im thinking of upgrading to a better amp though, how do you like the ED Nine.1? Looks like its a good price.

Also for the RMS value of an amp is that assuming the gains are ALL the way up? So if i turn my head unit up all the way at 5volts output and the amp takes 6 volts max for gains (and i have it at 5 volts of course) its not going to output the full 1200 watts is it?
                Don't worry that hifonics amp will not put out 1200 watts even at perfect conditions. Plus those subs should be able to take 600 rms each. Just don't distort or clip them. If you’re still worry buy some mtx subs they'll take at least double their rated power. I have two 12" mtx 7500s running off a rf 1501bd. Been running them for over 8 months with no problems.
                7" TouchScreen Carputer
                Rockford Fosgate 1501BD and Rockford 551s
                12" MTX 9500 in a SS* or a 12" Brahma in a SS*
                ZAPCO COMPONENTS in front and RFs in rear
                2 YellowTops and a 200amp Iraggi Alternator
                *Snell Shell box from nolteaudio.com

Comment

No worries you should be fine. 600 watts per channel will be fine JL subs are consideraly underrated, though remember that box design factors in to consideration. Sealed will by far handle the most power. Ported the control factor dips severly above the port frequency. And oh God don't trade them and buy MTX subs(no offense). IMHO people in general do much more damage from underpowering subs and run their amps into clipping which leads to distortion which means there is no control for your subanddddddd then they blow. If you overpower your subs you will know it right away they will reach the linear excursion max you'll hear it then just turn your gains back. put them in a sealed box and trust me you won't overpower them with that amp oh and check out this thread

http://www.caraudioelectronicsweb.co...03cae_jlaudio/

Comment

It's a great amp at a great price....most quality 1 ohm power for the money and it has an excellent warranty.
                    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                    - Alpine W200/H701
                    - ED Nine.2X
                    - OZ Matrix Elites
                    - ED Nine.1
                    - Idmax 12's

Comment

zzaachattack2: everything looks good for your system. But you are thinking of gain controls all wrong. Its not a volume control for you amplifier. And it really doesnt have to do much with how much power the amp puts out. Its kinda like a balance between the input it gets from your HU and what it outputs to the speakers. Thats why you alwasy want to turn your HU up loud as you would every possibly listen to it turn up the gain till you get the slightest amount of distortion and then back it down till the distortion goes away and for an everyday listening setup id back it down just a tad bit more.

Comment

I actually have my gains set to about 15% of the maximum....and my subs can handle 1000/2000 rms/peak.
                        PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                        - Alpine W200/H701
                        - ED Nine.2X
                        - OZ Matrix Elites
                        - ED Nine.1
                        - Idmax 12's

Comment

Originally posted by sansoo24
                          zzaachattack2: everything looks good for your system. But you are thinking of gain controls all wrong. Its not a volume control for you amplifier. And it really doesnt have to do much with how much power the amp puts out. Its kinda like a balance between the input it gets from your HU and what it outputs to the speakers. Thats why you alwasy want to turn your HU up loud as you would every possibly listen to it turn up the gain till you get the slightest amount of distortion and then back it down till the distortion goes away and for an everyday listening setup id back it down just a tad bit more.
                          Thanks for your replies. However, how can gain NOT have anything to do with power output? I mean if i understand correctly turning the gain up causes louder volume, and thus power? I fully understand that gains should be matched for best quality and whatnot. but when an amplifier puts out 1000 watts RMS with a gain between .2 and 6v, does 1000 watts only happen when gains are at 6v (and matched to a Head unit 6v output)? Or will gains correctly matched at either .2v or 6v output the same power?

Comment

zzachattack2,

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/gains.htm

That should answer your question.
                            homebrew sound deadening + sub and amp install... 04 Dakota QC

fuel economy calculators

Comment

Originally posted by furball69
                              zzachattack2,

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/gains.htm

That should answer your question.
                              awesome site!
                              New System in progress:
                              M10k
                              Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                              Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                              Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9