CD Changer plug to pc???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Changer plug to pc???

Am I right in saying I can conect my car pc to my head unit with the CD changer cable?
    [B]Car Computer 98%[|||||||||-]
    Install Plan 100%[||||||||||]
    Styling 20%[||--------]
    Install 0%[----------]

it depends on the car. for instance, in volkswagens/audis and many others, the head unit will not accept input through the CD changer cable without a device attached which sends digital data packets to the head unit making it think that there is a real CD changer connected.
    But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
    Originally posted by Viscouse
    I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
    eegeek.net

Comment

I have the sony flip down head unit with a sony 10 disk changer, I was trying to thing of a way to wier that up this way.

I removed my ford radio a long time back

Any ideas if the sony will work?
      Styling 20%[||--------]
      Install 0%[----------]

Comment

If you already have the CD changer hooked up and working, yes. You will have to hack up the CD changer cable and find the wires that carry the audio signal (Right, Left, and Ground). Then you can put in a switch and be able to switch back and forth from the changer to the computer. You can either get an Audio switch box or a 3PDT switch. With this solution you will most likely have to be playing a CD in the changer to enable the input.

Peace.
        ** Denotes an "in car" post
        In-Car posts made from passenger seat - Be safe, Don't Post and Drive.

Comment

Sonys use RCAs for the changer audio, so in theory all you would have to do is find a way to make the deck think the changer is plugged in so it would recognize it as another source. You can get a dual aux. input adapter for Sony decks that would allow you to keep your changer and add an aux, that would be the easiest and most reliable way to go, although certainly not the cheapest.

Comment

i would also like to input into the cd changer input on my sony HU. unfortunatly, ive never ever found a way to get it to work.
            1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
            Pictures
            Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

It's not cheap, but this will do it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-54hRKoZ...asp?i=158XA300

Comment

Yes, since the connection is RCA's already, as long as you wanted to keep your sony cd changer you wouldn't need to do any hacking at all. Just buy an Audio Switch box to switch the RCA's and poof-aahh, AUX-IN. On the other hadn the Dual Aux-In adapter would be expensive, but would make the switching automatic.
                ** Denotes an "in car" post
                In-Car posts made from passenger seat - Be safe, Don't Post and Drive.

Comment

Haha, yup, that would do it, I can't beleive I didn't think of that.

Comment

so basically you need some way of spoofing that bus controll.

for 100 bucks, i rather spend a little more, buy amps and speakers, and ditch the HU.

any ideas?
                    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
                    Pictures
                    Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-54hRKoZ...tch&i=469MPSS4

You'd only use half of this one, but it would work. You would simulate the 12V from a switch that you would control, and the PIE adapter would switch between the RCAs going to the changer and the ones going to the carputer. You would use the 'changer' as your source, and it would keep playing a cd as you used your carputer, but it would work.

Comment

I say if you want quality sound, Ditch the HU and build a brand new system. However, you will be looking to spend much more, figure $500 for a basic system (HU with AUX input, 4ch Amp, set of speakers) and more like a grand for something of quality (subs and all...)

I use a HU with an aux input for my carPC audio its extremely easy. If you want just the audio and less hassle, go with the aux input switch...but note, the cd changer probably needs to be on to use the signal.
                        Brown 2010

Comment

some good info guy's

The main reson I am doing it is to show that a head unit can be left in as well as having a pc in the car, I did have it where the car pc was direct to the whole system without a head unit but I would now like to do it the other way.

I think i will hack and make my own section to be able to do this and see it that works, the cd changer will be in the bin as I have the car pc now so mp3's only these days for me.

I might even brake into the cd changer and take the female socked out and adapt it or something.

If any one has done something like this would be great on there info and some pictures if poss thank you
                          Styling 20%[||--------]
                          Install 0%[----------]

Comment

Working...
                          X