Will this let me dump my head unit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this let me dump my head unit?

I am looking to get rid of the head unit so I can use the space for an in-dash monitor. I basically need a soundcard that will output to my two amps (a mono amp for the subs and a 2 way for the components).

Will this do the trick?

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=990
    VIA M10000
    512Mb RAM
    30Gb 2.5" HDD
    Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
    Silverstone USB DAC
    Consult (ODB)
    CarTFT K500
    Carnetix P1290
    NLited XP with Road Runner and MapMonkey

almost any sound card will basically do. Then you're just going to have to make your choices based on quality. So yeah, that will do.
    Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
    Genesis has speed
    Genesis has class
    Genesis sent money
    before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

I just used a sound card on mine then went straght to an amp then to two other amps but the to extra amps was just cos of my system
      [B]Car Computer 98%[|||||||||-]
      Install Plan 100%[||||||||||]
      Styling 20%[||--------]
      Install 0%[----------]

Comment

Originally posted by madkad
        extra amps was just cos of my system
        This is my concern. I understand that most soundcards output very little line voltage. If I go straight to the amps i'll lose a lot of quality. I am gonna run through a crossover first anyway (to separate the signal to my two amps) but I am wondering if this soundcard will remove the need for a line driver because it has a built in amp.
        VIA M10000
        512Mb RAM
        30Gb 2.5" HDD
        Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
        Silverstone USB DAC
        Consult (ODB)
        CarTFT K500
        Carnetix P1290

Comment

My first amp was to get the power needed the other amps were to give my subs a boost

In any good head unit they have a small amp to boost the power for the speachers in a pc on a sound card they dont this is why i used an amp to get it to boost the only problem was that I had was that the amps picked up all the sounds from the car so I sorted that then I found that the rest of the sound was being picked up from the pc so I had to buy some amp sounds things (sorry cant remember name now dam) but they put the whining sounds to that background so they cant be heard

I will try and get the name for you
          Styling 20%[||--------]
          Install 0%[----------]

Comment

That would be good cos I already have some whine through my system, I really don't want to be amping it!
            VIA M10000
            512Mb RAM
            30Gb 2.5" HDD
            Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
            Silverstone USB DAC
            Consult (ODB)
            CarTFT K500
            Carnetix P1290

Comment

The whine you have in your system will most likly be from your car alternater and all you will need is some good grounding and a suppresser then that should stop the whine you have, amps tend to pick more of the pc sound up than the car so what you would need for the amp is different but lol still cant remember the name, I was hoping some one would have said it by now lol
              Styling 20%[||--------]
              Install 0%[----------]

Comment

So do you think I'm better off getting a sound card that outputs line voltage or a line driver?
                VIA M10000
                512Mb RAM
                30Gb 2.5" HDD
                Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
                Silverstone USB DAC
                Consult (ODB)
                CarTFT K500
                Carnetix P1290

Comment

I think you are over thinking.

Get the sound card and hook it up to your crossover. The crossover maintains the voltage from inputs to outputs. There is no loss of quality unless its a really bad x-over. A larger qustion is why are you buying a 5.1 sound card when all you are using are 2 channels?

Yes, the output per channel is .6 volts which is not great but most amps can handle .2 volts. Why not purchase a better external sound card instead of buying a line driver?

More is not always better. It just adds more to troubleshoot
                  Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Albers
                    Why not purchase a better external sound card instead of buying a line driver?
                    That is kinda what I was trying to decide. A good soundcard, or stick with the on-board one and run a line driver?

Then, which one?
                    VIA M10000
                    512Mb RAM
                    30Gb 2.5" HDD
                    Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
                    Silverstone USB DAC
                    Consult (ODB)
                    CarTFT K500
                    Carnetix P1290

Comment

Amplifying a mediocre signals makes the mediocre signal louder.

Start with a strong sound card. There have to be several better than what you have listed. Even the SB Audigy should be better.

Do you have room for an internal sound card? Get the Xfi Music from Soundblaster

Have USB only? Do the Audigy

Have PCMCIA? Get the Audigy for the PCMCIA slot.
                      Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lake
                        This is my concern. I understand that most soundcards output very little line voltage. If I go straight to the amps i'll lose a lot of quality. I am gonna run through a crossover first anyway (to separate the signal to my two amps) but I am wondering if this soundcard will remove the need for a line driver because it has a built in amp.
                        what is your budget? there are a few ways to go with this. I am doing what you are planning to do. I have some restrictions so I had to go a slightly different route but if i were you I'd look for a usb dac. this will get your dacs and opamps out of the pc environment (could introduce some noise) as well as giving you an ultra clean higher output signal. run the output of that into an active x-over (i had an audiocontrol 24xs and it was great)

that will get you great signal quality

another option; what i went with, is using the echo gina3g soundcard with outboard dac and balanced outputs (5.75 vrms). then from there going into a zapco slx-4 (fully balanced inputs) and from there to your amps. This setup is pretty expensive but I believe the sound quality will be hard to beat, especially if your amps have balanced inputs (phaze tube amps, zapco amps, etc)

another card to look at is the m-audio audiophile 192. it has around 4-5 vrms outputs too.
                        New System in progress:
                        M10k
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by madkad
                          My first amp was to get the power needed the other amps were to give my subs a boost
                          I'm having trouble making sense of this. Could you please elaborate?
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I so can't afford a set up like yours!
                            I just need to make sure the audio reaching my amps is of at least as good quality as it was going via my head unit.
                            Also, I am limited to usb if I get a separate soundcard as my only PCI slot is used up.
                            VIA M10000
                            512Mb RAM
                            30Gb 2.5" HDD
                            Bluetooth, 802.11g, GPS
                            Silverstone USB DAC
                            Consult (ODB)
                            CarTFT K500
                            Carnetix P1290

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lake
                              I so can't afford a set up like yours!
                              I just need to make sure the audio reaching my amps is of at least as good quality as it was going via my head unit.
                              Also, I am limited to usb if I get a separate soundcard as my only PCI slot is used up.
                              who are you talking to?
                              Jan Bennett
                              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
                              X