What to get?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to get?

I'm almost done installing my car computer, just waiting on the speaker wire to come so I can install the speakers and everything should be great. I know someone else who has the exact same system, exact same car and he says the onboard soundcard plus aftermarket speakers sounds great to him. I still haven't had the opportunity to listen to what it would sound like in my car, so his likings may differ from mine.

I have 6.5" MB Quart Components up front and 6X9 MB Quart's in the rear. I have been reading up about line drivers and crossovers. If I was not fully satisfied with the SQ from what I heard from my computer what should I get. Would the AudioControl 6XS be what I am looking for to get? Would I also need a line driver in addition to the 6XS? Or would there be something better to purchase in order to improve my SQ? Thank you for your answers.

No additional driver needed, audiocontrol is good enough. You may want to upgrade to a dedicated soundcard befor eyou spend the cash on the Audiocontrol as your SQ issues are most likely coming form that!
    Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
    Genesis has speed
    Genesis has class
    Genesis sent money
    before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

Thank you for the response. I am still going to wait until I can actually hear the sound in my car. If I am not satisfied with it, I will upgrade to a different soundcard. And if I am still not satisfied, I should be though, I'll look into the Audio Control. Thanks again.

Comment

if i were you i would upgrade in these steps:

1: soundblaster 5.1 live pci card using kxproject drivers. (very cheap card but works really well with those drivers in my experience)

if the sound isn't good enough for you after tweaking the drivers:

2: add audiocontrol x-over.
        i had the sb live card and a audiocontrol 24xs. The improvement was very noticable

if you still want to up it up a notch
        3: dump the sb live card (ok...that is what..$10 wasted?) and go with a usb dac. these dacs are roughly $150, they'll have a higher voltage, rca output, and cleaner sound then most soundcards

at the very least get the sb live card and dont bother with onboard sound
        New System in progress:
        M10k
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

oh yeah, and pretty much any active x-over will also be a line-driver as well
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Thanks man! I'll look into getting the soundblaster card tonight after work. I'll see how that works for me. I think I plan on getting the xover just because my roommates think my carputer isn't going to sound good and a waste of money so I'll have to show them whats up

Comment

any update for us?
              New System in progress:
              M10k
              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

I didn't know people were interested! I'm actually about to install my front speakers right now! I just finished creating the spacers for the speakers. I've had my rears in for a couple days now and I love the sound compared to what the stock speakers were. So as for now I'm expecting myself to love the sound coming from all 4 speakers. I'll post once I get everything done!

Comment

cant wait m8

Comment

just connected the speakers today and LOVE THEM! I haven't touched any settings on the amp either, so they should even sound better when I turn up the gain and such. I appreciate everyone who helped me out, thanks!

Comment

don't just immediately turn up the gains.

Tune it properly.

And remember, speakers do take some breaking in.

Let them break in (20 hours or so for most speakers) THEN worry about your final adjustments. Else, all of your settings will keep changing until the speakers are broken in.

Did you end up using the onboard sound?

As for your roomates, send them to this site, I think there are quite a few people who would beg to differ on here...

Congrats!
                      Jan Bennett
                      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Yeah I probably won't mess with the gains for more than a couple weeks. I still have a lot to do to get the computer going and how I want it! Yes I am using the onboard sound right now and I love it. I may not have a good ear for SQ, but I just know it sounds soo much better than my stock speakers did so I'm really happy.

Yeah as for my roommates, they have yet to hear what it sounds like, so we'll see what they say. One of my roommates is obsessed with the Alpine with the glidetouch, which I think is a nice feature, but doesn't impress me that much.

Thanks again!

Comment

hehe - hey - if you're happy with it, who gives a rats *** what they think!
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
                          X