Headunit vs no headunit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headunit vs no headunit

I'm putting together my first carputer and I'm trying to decide whether or not to use a headunit. I'm planning on doing a full stereo install also (speakers, amps, subs...). Would I gain anything by keeping a headunit? I would think that the only reason to keep it would be for its amp and the radio. But, if I'm installing an amp and I can add a reciever to the computer, is there really any reason to keep the headunit? Sound Quality? Anything? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Eric

i would think that it would only be needed for ease of use, but if your going to throw it out of your instal then i would sugest to use a line driver so that your signal is nice, clear and strong

Comment

You would gain alot by keeping the headunit. Especially if your using any of the headunits features like onboard crossovers/eq/timealignment. Its alot of work getting everything back to the point of just using a headunit,and more expensive.
      Setup:
      Dynaudio 240GT
      PPI PC4100, PPI PC2350
      Zapco DSP6
      ADS DAC
      Testing new board (Albatron KI690-AM2)

"I dont know if complaints were filed, or mistakes were made, but feelings were hurt." -Krystal Washington

Comment

Originally posted by proph
        You would gain alot by keeping the headunit. Especially if your using any of the headunits features like onboard crossovers/eq/timealignment. Its alot of work getting everything back to the point of just using a headunit,and more expensive.
        What would I gain though? Right now I just have the stock headunit, so I would have to buy a new one anyhow. The car is still all stock, I've only had it for about a month

I want to get the best possible sound out of it, while still keeping the price managable. It also has to be a clean install, this is going into a show car. So the less things I have cramping the dash, the better.

Comment

dump the head unit if you want a clean install. Look into a soundblaster pci card with kxdriver if you want some cool time alignment,x-over, and eq options.
          There aren't any advantages to keeping the stock h/u besides the ones you had already mentioned. it will probably hurt the sound quality if anything
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

I kept my headunit because I like the fuctionality, volume control is simpler, it looks better.. and I use my steering wheel + HU controls with the car2pc adapter.
            Honda Ridgeline
            Pentium M - 10.2" Screen
            http://craigrmartin.googlepages.com

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
              dump the head unit if you want a clean install. Look into a soundblaster pci card with kxdriver if you want some cool time alignment,x-over, and eq options.
              There aren't any advantages to keeping the stock h/u besides the ones you had already mentioned. it will probably hurt the sound quality if anything
              Thank you. That pretty much clears it up for me.

BTW, I love your Vette

Originally posted by -CM
              I kept my headunit because I like the fuctionality, volume control is simpler, it looks better.. and I use my steering wheel + HU controls with the car2pc adapter.
              Well, my headunit is kinda big and ugly and my steering wheel doesn't have any radio functions on it. As for the volume control, I'm planning to use one of these http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/ You might want to have a look

Comment

I was going to use that powermate. I still have it, not used, if you would like to buy it cheap. PM me.
                Honda Ridgeline
                Pentium M - 10.2" Screen
                http://craigrmartin.googlepages.com

Comment

thanks for the compliment isisfreak
                  for volume controll, do a search for i-drive. some people; tonyg, have made there own less bulky version of this and it may bive you the flexibility that you are looking for
                  New System in progress:
                  M10k
                  Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                  My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

You may also have the option to go with a seperate standalone processor that you can do your time alignments x-over and simple volume knob.

I just posted in a different thread that i'm investing in an Alpine PXA-H701 processor, and the Alpine RUX-C701 for standalone use. Where it may have everything that you may need mentioned above. It also has 3 seperate optical inputs and 1 built in and 2 additional optional analog inputs with standard RCAs. I'm gonna try using both optical and analog inputs and i got a simple optical spdif output with a usb adapter and software.\
                    Edit: Oh, And it does 5.1 or even mixes to 4.2 if you dont have a center channel it uses the center output into a sub L/R
                    "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
                    "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
                    [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

it'll be a pain in the butt to go from optical to analog on the fly. I had the alpine unit and ended up selling mine because it was just too bulky for me.
                      New System in progress:
                      M10k
                      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...
                      X