Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to connect 2 audio sources to amps? Direct Connect? Switch box? other?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to connect 2 audio sources to amps? Direct Connect? Switch box? other?

Here's a diagram of my current system (before I add the PC)

I know, it's a crappy/rough example. I have 4 RCA cables running from the headunit to the 4 channel amp, and 2 RCA's from the headunit to the subwoofer's amp.

The CarPC is going to have a sound card capable of decoding dolby & DTS, etc---the kind of card that has the 3 3.5mm jacks. I will adapt the 3 3.5mm -> to -> RCA splitters -> to the amps, so I get 5.1 output to my 4 channel amp + subwoofer amp.

Now comes the tricky part -- Wiring everything together!

I have 2 ideas:
    A) Attach RCA splitters to the amps' inputs ----- and just make sure that only 1 device was outputting (or powered up) at a time? My headunit has 8v outputs, would this effect the PC since they'd all be directly connected together with the amp?

B) Is there some kind of switcher I could get, to just switch between the headunit and the PC? It would have to have 12 RCA inputs total, and 6 RCA outputs (4 + 2 from headunit, 4 + 2 from PC)
    Does something like this even exist?

Thanks for reading!

You're going to want to use the aux in on your headunit and connect your sound card to that....there is an aux-in adapter (if u search, u shall find) that will allow u to treat ur pc as a cd changer and simply switch to it from your headunit. This will give u a higher ouput voltage to your amps and give you overall better sound quality as well....good luck.
    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
    - Alpine W200/H701
    - ED Nine.2X
    - OZ Matrix Elites
    - ED Nine.1
    - Idmax 12's

Comment

yeah, thanks for your reply.

This is actually how I was originally going to do it. I already have 2 RCA cables ran from the headunit to the trunk for the aux input.

But then I started thinking about getting true 5.1 DTS surround sound from DVD's sounded fun...

Comment

Working...
      X