Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to know about Single and Dual Voice Coils

Hi all,
    I am ready to add a sub to my system. All my audio is Infinity and I intend to get an Infinity sub also. My amp is a 6 channel amp and I will be bridging the 2 sub channels into one and using a single sub.

So, based on that, here is what I am looking at:
    KAPPA PERFECT12VQ, or
    KAPPA PERFECT12DVQ

I can't really tell what I need, what will work better with my system, etc. I think the difference with the two is single and dual voice coil, but I'm not too sure what that means and which I would need. If it matters, I will be putting this into a box in the trunk (should it be sealed or ported??).

I wish I knew more about this stuff, but I am learing as I go.

Thanks,
    ed.
    Spent so far: $1,755
    Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
    CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
    Don't mess with Texas.
    It's not nice to pick on retards!

The amp I am using is the Infinity 5760a, and the manual is here: 5760A manual.
    CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
    Don't mess with Texas.

Comment

you can do it either way acutually.....either power each coil of the DVC sub off the amp, or buy the single and wire both channels in a mono output form. I guess what matters more is, if you are ever going to upgrade to a dedicated amp for just the sub one day - if you did that id go with the DVC because you have a little more flexibility on what you can choose amp wise, and provide it power properly.....but lets look at your amp, shall we?

5760a
      56W x 4 channels and 107W x 2 channels, at 4 ohms and
      ≤1% THD + N
      Signal-to-noise ratio: 82dBA (reference 1W into 4 ohms)
      80W x 4 channels, 150W x 2 channels at 2 ohms, 14.4V supply
      and ≤1% THD + N
      148W x 2 channels, 287W x 1 channel at 4 ohms, 14.4V supply
      and ≤1% THD + N
      Dynamic power: 117W (channels 1, 2, 3, 4);
      163W (channels 5, 6) into 2 ohms

looks like the biggest bang out of that amp is to do a 3 channel setup, with 148x2 and 287x1 for the sub - but only at 4 ohms....so it would have to be only with the single voice coil 4 ohm sub if you went that route. Otherwise, you'd have to find a dual voice coil subwoofer with dual 2 ohm coils to use instead....which is probably the better idea anyways.
      MECA Car Audio Judge

Comment

Originally posted by snoopdan
        Otherwise, you'd have to find a dual voice coil subwoofer with dual 2 ohm coils to use instead....which is probably the better idea anyways.
        Thanks for the info!

Alright, so it would be better to go DVC but I need to find dual 2 ohm coils and that will make it run at 4 ohms? I searched around a little and saw some examples but even the ones that said "dual 2 ohm coils" had an impedence of 2 ohms and it sounds like I have to run a sub at 4 ohms. Am I missing something or just a little confused?
        Any suggestions on specific subs that will work would be awesome!

Thanks.
        ed.
        Don't mess with Texas.

Comment

Hey--
          I have 2 of the Perfect 12D VQs and they are beautiful subs. I have them each in 1 cubic foot sealed enclosures with the mid Q inserts. The response is very tight. I honestly think these subs were built with the intention of being put in sealed enclosures, but that may just be me. If you have any questions about that just PM me.

Also, I am just about to post these subs on ebay. If you would like to purchase 1 or 2 of these off me let me know and I will not post them up for sale. One is in perfect visual and functional condition and the other one has surface scratches but functions flawlessly. I will let the one in perfect condition go for 120 if you want it. The other one will be 95. If you want both then how about 210?

Comment

Originally posted by edrex
            Thanks for the info!

Alright, so it would be better to go DVC but I need to find dual 2 ohm coils and that will make it run at 4 ohms? I searched around a little and saw some examples but even the ones that said "dual 2 ohm coils" had an impedence of 2 ohms and it sounds like I have to run a sub at 4 ohms. Am I missing something or just a little confused?
            Any suggestions on specific subs that will work would be awesome!

Thanks.
            ed.
            look for a sub with dual 2 ohm coils. You can set it up to run 4 ohm.

Hook it up like so.
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Thanks to all who replied!

Ok, so my affinity for Infinity () made me want to stay with thier products. As far as I can tell they don't have a dual 2 ohm sub.

Here is what I ordered today:
              Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 12" 4-ohm subwoofer
              Q-Logic QLH-1.0012SS Type 1 single 12" hatchback box
              Infinity Reference RC100 Amplifier remote control

I did a lot of research and I am pretty sure I will be very happy with the outcome.
              Again, thanks for the answers I got for my questions here. This community is the best!

Cheers,
              ed.
              Don't mess with Texas.

Comment

there is nothing wrong with Infinity, nothing at all

Jan Bennett
                FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
                X