Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Routing audio from Line-in to usb DAC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Routing audio from Line-in to usb DAC

    Hello,
    I have tried to do a complete search for the answer to this question so if I just missed it please forgive me. I have an usb DAC and an onboard sound card. I am trying to listen to my Sirius radio. I have the 1/8th jack going into the line in on the sound card, but it won't route to the speakers(they are connected to the DAC). I can run the test hardware program built into the voice tab of the sounds and audio section in control panel, and it plays the Sirius radio so I know it can be done. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.
    Thanks.

  • #2
    Again, huh? Im confused on what your issues are and what you are asking
    Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

    Comment


    • #3
      Ok, I have an usb DAC. It runs out to my HU. I have an onboard sound card separate from the usb DAC. I want to use the onboard sound cards line-in port to play my Sirius radio. With most sound cards it routes the signal from the line-in directly to the wav out. When using separate sound devices that routing does not occur, so when a input to the line-in is present no audio is played through the HU. I can use the test hardware option under the voice tab in the sounds and audio portion of control panel and have the sound routed properly; however, I do not know how to make that permanent.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm a bit confused as well. You can't route audio from one sound card to another without having a cable between them, it just doesn't happen.

        Line-in has NOTHING to do with the WAV-audio. Ever. Unless you've recorded something and are playing back via WAV.

        The only way you can 'hear' the line-in signal if you aren't recording it is to un-mute the line in, and have the output of THAT soundcard going to what you're playing. It sounds like you want to use the line-in of your onboard soundcard and have it magically come out the line-output of your USB card. Won't happen unless you connect the line-out of the internal to the line-in of the external.

        Comment


        • #5
          If the sound works when you use the "test hardware", then try using Winamp. It has a line-in plugin that should do what you want.
          My Jeep Liberty Install

          Comment


          • #6
            hu?

            what in the world?

            I'm rather confused here as well...

            perhaps a wiring diagram of how you WANT this to work is in order?
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

            Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

            Comment


            • #7
              Sorry for all the confusion. I will put together that diagram as soon as I get the time. Until then I'm going to give the verbal thing one more try. I just purchased an usb DAC. It only has a output rca connection. The only input on the system is through the onboard sound card. In my past I have only used one sound device and so windows always plays the input over the speakers, now that i have the second device it no longer plays over the speakers. Again, I can get it to play correctly using the test hardware option, but do not know how to make that permanent. I will give the winamp line in thing a try and let you know how that works. Thanks again for all your help, and I'll post the diagram as soon as I get a chance to make it.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm curious about the test hardware option..what is that exactly? And when you say it 'plays correctly', do you mean that when you run this 'test hardware' thing, you can actually hear the line-input of the internal soundcard via the output of the USB 'card'?

                I don't think i've ever run into a case where you could do what you're trying to do..but i've been proven wrong before. Most times I never even would've thought of trying it.

                As far as I knew, the Linein thing on Winamp was for vizualizations only, but I could be wrong there too.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm just trying to figure out why you would want to go from your USB DAC back into the computer...lol

                  most of the time wouldn't you go from the computer to the USB DAC then to your amplifier/eq/etc?
                  Jan Bennett
                  FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                  Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jahntassa
                    I'm curious about the test hardware option..what is that exactly? And when you say it 'plays correctly', do you mean that when you run this 'test hardware' thing, you can actually hear the line-input of the internal soundcard via the output of the USB 'card'?

                    I don't think i've ever run into a case where you could do what you're trying to do..but i've been proven wrong before. Most times I never even would've thought of trying it.

                    As far as I knew, the Linein thing on Winamp was for vizualizations only, but I could be wrong there too.
                    On windows XP if you go into control panel, then double click on sounds and audio devices properties, then select the voice tab, there is a test hardware button on the bottom. If you hit that and run to the second test it loops the line-in values to the speakers, and, yes, you can hear the line-in of the onboard card threw the usb card. I just can't get it to stay that way.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                      I'm just trying to figure out why you would want to go from your USB DAC back into the computer...lol

                      most of the time wouldn't you go from the computer to the USB DAC then to your amplifier/eq/etc?
                      Ok, I'm not trying to go from the DAC back to the computer. I want to go from the Sirius line-out to the line-in on the computer and then have all of that go out on the DAC to my HU, etc...

                      I'm not sure how to post images but I made the wiring diagram and am attempting to attach it to this post. I hope that helps.Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	2255378

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Preston Masters
                        Ok, I'm not trying to go from the DAC back to the computer. I want to go from the Sirius line-out to the line-in on the computer and then have all of that go out on the DAC to my HU, etc...

                        I'm not sure how to post images but I made the wiring diagram and am attempting to attach it to this post. I hope that helps.[ATTACH]30622[/ATTACH]
                        Was very clear to me from your first post in fact.

                        The winamp plugin works for what you're trying to do. In fact, it records the line-in to memory and plays it through wav of the play device.

                        This solution I read somewhere else on here and it worked well aparently.

                        Good luck!
                        List of front-ends/usefull apps
                        XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If JC-S60 is correct, then that's what you'll have to do. That 'Test Hardware' function is literally recording from one input and playing back through another. If that's what winamp does, then you'll be able to do it that way. Otherwise you'll have to find a utility or application that does it.

                          There's no EASY native way in windows to do what you're doing 'all the time'

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JC-S60
                            Was very clear to me from your first post in fact.

                            The winamp plugin works for what you're trying to do. In fact, it records the line-in to memory and plays it through wav of the play device.

                            This solution I read somewhere else on here and it worked well aparently.

                            Good luck!
                            Ok, I did the winamp thing and it sorta works. I can hit play and the visualizer indicates that there is input and varies with what the input should be. It doesn't route it to the speakers though. When I play an mp3 file it plays fine. Any ideas?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Bringing this back to see if anyone has a solution.

                              I have:

                              PC -> USB DAC -> 3sixty.2 -> AMP

                              I would like to run my HD radio through the line in on the PC and out to the DAC.

                              I can use the AUX on the 3sixty.2 for now, but I'd like to find a better solution using WMP.
                              Is there something like the line in plug in for WMP?
                              2007 Mustang - RockCar Front End

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X